× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 keeps dropping connection

Cauldrone
Tutor

EX8000 keeps dropping connection

I have aquired the extender 6 weeks ago, and it has been running smoothly until for a week ago. Then it started dropping the connected devices, approx every 55 sec. I'm running 1.0.1.202. The internet without extender is running smoothly. The extender is automatically upgrading the firmware. I thought it was a firmware issue, and have downgraded to 1.0.1.192, 1.0.1.186 and 1.0.1.164. Factory resat at 1.0.1.202 and 1.0.1.164. Same result, same issue.

It happens both on my iPad, OnePlus 6T and both in extender and access point mode. The signal lamp is solid white and it hasn't been moved.

I have called my ISP that confirms that they haven't had any issues or firmware/protocol changes. The router is a Sagecom FAST3890_D0, with a build timestamp: 20190621_1145

I have lost my 90 days of support as I entered the date european style, so 7.April, instead of 4. July. Anyone who have had the same issues? Is it a HW malfunction?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Cauldrone wrote:

I have aquired the extender 6 weeks ago, ...

I have lost my 90 days of support as I entered the date european style, so 7.April, instead of 4. July. 

@Christian_R  would you mind to assist fixing this registration mishap (caused by a very poor Web UI) please?

Message 2 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Cauldrone - Thanks for posting. Please send me a message with your email address and serial number and I can have the registration corrected and get you in contact with support. 

~Christian 

Message 3 of 11
Cauldrone
Tutor

I have send you a DM. Thanks.

Message 4 of 11
Cauldrone
Tutor

The conclusion is that the product was defect and Netgear support is a nightmare.

I had a horrible experience with Netgear support. They promise to send me to a level 2 engineer, once I have send my proof of purchase. But I'm transferred to a level 1 engineer. The engineer haven't read my description of the problem and is proposing DNS changes on my ISP router and to do a factory reset, that I have already done and documented.

The phone numer the engineer is referring to in the case info is a US number. I decide to call support in USA despite the cost of calling USA from Denmark, Europe. The phone numer listed cannot be called internationally. Then I'm trying the link to chat support. Getting transferred to Arlo, which is a totally different company and it's impossible to select any Netgear products. I find an Arlo phone number and try to call it. Get transferred to an agent. I ask for Netgear support, and the agent provides me a phonenumber. I ask if it's US phonenumber or what country it's in. The agent cannot answer. I assume that it's a US number. I call it and I get through. Have to wait 15 minutes as I'm 3rd in queue. Get to talk to a Netgear agent. She puts me on hold as she has to read the case history. When she get's back, it's clear that she haven't understand the steps I have performed. She is clearly reading a script and not relating to the case. She is forced to ask me to do stuff I have already done and told her previously in our conversation. She concludes that the product is defect, and she updates the case. I cannot see the case update on my end (tries several browers). She assures me that it's there. I ask for an e-mail or some proof that I can show to the webshop where I have purchased the extender. She says that the update can bee seen in a while. I hang up. The case is closed 5 minutes after and the system is updated with the closure, but not the supporters closing statement/conclusion.

12 hours later, the case is not updated. So I have to open another case where I request the closing statement from the main case. A support engineer provides me a text I can send to the webshop.

I then tried to fill out the survey in order to provide feedback regarding support. But there is very limited options and often you have 3 statements to choose from and none of them applies and no free text option. There are no free text form at the end.

So my experience with Netgear have been really bad. A flagship product that breaks down after 5 weeks and a support organisation that doesn't read or listen to the input that are being provided. Very hard to get in contact with and odd that there isn't some regional dail in numbers, so you won't have to make an international call to the US lasting +45 minutes.

Message 5 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Cauldrone, 

I'd like to help with getting your case escalated to L2 immediately. Please confirm and I'll forward your contact details immediately.

~Christian 

Message 6 of 11
Cauldrone
Tutor

@Christian_R Thanks a lot. I appreciate your commitment. Status is that I have RMA'ed it to the webshop where I have bought it. So I don't have the physical product. Hopefully they will just send me a new one, based on the conclusions I got form Netgear support

In regards to the support interaction I have had so far, then I specifically wrote to Kenneth from support that I was promised to to be allocated to L2 when I realized that I was getting a L1 engineer, but no response/reaction.

Message 7 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Cauldrone - Certainly! We appreciate the feedback and please feel free to let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

~Christian 

Message 8 of 11
Cauldrone
Tutor

I have got a replacement extender through the RMA process. The new EX8000 drops connections the same way the old did, out of the box (firmware 1.0.1.202)@Christian_R  will you contact level 2 and get them to contact me? Thanks.

Message 9 of 11
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Cauldrone, 

I can assist with L2 following up on your case. Would you mind sending me a message with your case number and preferred contact time. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 10 of 11
Cauldrone
Tutor

Sorry for the late reply. I have installed a Google Wifi Mesh instead, works like a charm. The Nighthawk issue couldn't be solved last time and if L1 thought that L2 could help, then I guess they would have escalated to them.

I'll return the Nighthawk and get my money back.

Thanks for you kind support @Christian_R  much appreciated.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7