× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 poor wifi when wired to an xr500 as an access point

A_Plumbus
Aspirant

EX8000 poor wifi when wired to an xr500 as an access point

I've had poor WiFi performance since I bought the EX8000 (not as poor as the performance from the XR500) over a year ago but it hasn't been an issue since I have ethernet run throughout my house for the Xboxes and PCs. The xr500 does an amazing job at providing consistent, fast internet access to wired devices, never a lag spike even when multiple xboxes are playing the same game on the same server. So I turned off the wifi radios on the xr500 and wired the EX8000 into a GS808E (S8000) switch as an access point. It has been fine when used to play non-live video streaming (YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc) but can suffer when trying to play something live like YouTube TV or Twitch. The reason I'm worried about WiFi performance now is because Google Stadia is about to release and will be very dependent on a good connection. I've tried optimizing the channels that the 5GHz bands use and QOS settings in the NetDuma software with no success. Both 5GHz bands have terrible gaming and live streaming performance. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

What firmware is it on?

Is it just over wireless? What I mean is if you hardwire a device into the EX8000, does it still have the issue?

What modem are you using?

What speeds do you pay for? 

What speeds/ping do you get at your modem, router, GS808e, and then at the EX8000 while hardwired in? This is kind of key and the hard part. When troubleshooting, the more device in line, the more places the problem could be coming from. You need to isolate which device's specifically is causing the issue. And you've got a lot of devices in line. Thats the old KISS acronym. The more you can remove for testing this, the better off you'll be. Start simple with just modem---router. Then add the AP. Then add the switch. Then add the ap and switch. 

In my experience, if the only issue happens with live streaming and videos that can buffer are fine, it tends to be a latency issue and not necessarily a speed issue. You've got several devices that can effect that including the modem, XR500, and the S8000. 

Message 2 of 4
A_Plumbus
Aspirant

Also I am using the CM700 modem. I pay for 400Mbps down/25Mbps up.

Speed tests with the XR500 yield higher speeds than that though; typically ~450Mbps down ~28Mbps up. So I have the anti-bufferbloat settings in the XR500 set to 70% for both upload and download.

I have 3 GS808E switches (1 in living room downstairs, 1 in bonus room downstairs, and 1 in office upstairs) wired to the XR500 which connect Xboxes, PS4s, TVs, PCs, soundbars, etc. 

All wired devices in all locations get perfect, consistent connections to the internet (open NAT types, IPV6, low latency, speeds that are consistent with what is set in the XR500 software).

It doesn't seem to matter how I set up the EX8000 (wired directly to the router or from one of the switches) it gives poor WiFi performance.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Poor wifi performance doesn't say much. 

What speeds are you getting over wifi? 

What latency when testing over wifi?

What devices is used to test over wifi?

How is the EX8000 hooked up? do you have it set in extender mode or is it hardwired in running AP mode?

If the EX8000 has a computer hardwired to it, what speeds is it getting? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7