× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extender EX-3700 loses router link

TheTraveler
Aspirant

Extender EX-3700 loses router link

Extender sets up fine with a good link to the router but after about 10 minutes the router connection light turns red. Extender and router do not change locations but this happens all the time.

WHY?

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

What router are you using? The extender is only as good as the router as the router is the backbone of the system. A crappy router will make for a crappy extender. What is the interior walls of your house made of?

If you log into the extender, it will show your connection strengths back to the main router when it is working. 

A few things you can try though.

1. Change wifi channels. If there's wifi intereference, it can cause issues. Changing channels can help avoid this.

2. Move the extender closer/further away/laterally.  Hvac and other materials within walls can cause issues. Sometimes moving an extender a few feet closer, further away, or laterally can move the extender out from behind and clear up the signals. I usually recommend people move extenders several times to optimize placement. 

3. Check your firmware. If you're on an older version, upgrade it, reset and reinstall the extender. Which version are you on? 

if you log into the extender, it'll show what the 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals are doing. The led's can't tell you both signals. Log into it and look at both. 2.4ghz penetrates better and further than 5ghz. But it is more sensitive to interference because there's less channels to broadcast on (simplified)  So if only the 2.4ghz is connecting, something is interfering with the signal. 

Message 2 of 9
TheTraveler
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply,

We have a rather unique situation. We are full-time RVers and use the extender to grab the park wifi signal and amplify it for use in our motorhome. Therefore, the brand of router will likely vary from park to park where the signal is transmitted to towers throughout the park where it is then distributed to the resident.

As I mentioned, the extender always sets up fine. It sees the available towers, shows the signal strength and creates a solid connection. However, after about 10 minutes the router connection indication turns red. Nothing in the way of placement of the extender or certainly the location of the tower changes.

I usually try to locate the extender near a window. The sides of the motorhome are fiberglass as is the roof. The walls have wood "studs" and the roof has aluminum bracing. But again, initial setup goes great.

I have the latest firmware installed.

Appreciate any further advice you may have.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 3 of 9
TheTraveler
Aspirant

P.S. How do I change the channel once it's been set up?

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

The channel is set by the primary router.

Its challenging when you say its an RV park. Its hard to be able to tell what the rv park has setup. If they're running commercial equipment, it might be setup to not allow extenders. They might have it set so each mac only gets 1 IP address. Potentially that'd be why it sets up fine and once you start connecting devices to the extender, it looses connection. 

Again, I'm just guessing as we don't know what the RV park is using or has setup. The park you're at would be best to check with if they even allow extenders. 

Message 5 of 9
TheTraveler
Aspirant

This is typically what we encounter:

"The third prevalent type of setup uses repeaters that act as their own routers with their own SSIDs. This setup is easily spotted when a park has multiple SSIDs such as “RVPARKNAME_1”, “RVPARKNAME_2” and so on. This setup can suffer from the same issues as the second type mentioned. However, with each repeater acting as its own router, there can be slightly more traffic control which can translate to a better WIFI experience."

Only once did we néed to register our extender MAC address with a park's router.

Typically the people that run the RV parks have no clue about their wifi setup.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

this paragraph was literally copy and pasted from this website:

https://mobilerving.com/blog/when-to-use-a-wifi-extender-at-the-rv-park

And the people who run the rv park might not know anything about their setup but its what's impacting the extender. 

Message 7 of 9
TheTraveler
Aspirant

Yes, I copied and pasted the description because it explained our situation/setup better than  I could have.

So, what do I need to do to make the extender work with park wifi assuming it doesn't need a MAC address or other special linking information?

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

If everything is set on their end to allow it, nothing. Set it up and it should work. 

But thats like saying, If I put gas in a piston, a motor will run.

Sure, it should run if everying works right. But there's a ton of variables that impact it.

We know nothing about how each park is setup. Each is going to be different and have different circumstances. You need to check with each RV park to see if

A. They allow it.

B. How to best set it up on their network. 

Keep a log of how each park implements it. After a while, you'll probably be able to arrange the setup just based off your notes and the park managers. 

I get that some aren't going to know a whole lot about their internet setup. And you might be stuck not using the extender in those circumstances. But me saying it'll work if you do x,y,z isn't going to cut it because I don't know x,y,z for each RV park. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7