× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failing to obtain IP address on a PLW1000v2 Access Point

jnisbett
Aspirant

Failing to obtain IP address on a PLW1000v2 Access Point

I have a powerline adapter (PLW1000v2) that has been part of a home network for over a year, and had been working fine in my upper floor bedroom.... until about 2 weeks ago. Now nothing will connect to it, either wirelessly or wired. I get a prolonged "Connecting..." message followed by a "Failed to obtain IP address" error message.

This same unit will work perfectly when moved to my main floor, nearer the base.

A second unit (PLW1010v2) displays similar behaviour: works fine in its lower floor location, but fails to operate in the upper floor bedroom.

I've sucessfully updated to the latest firmware in an attempt to remedy my issue, but my problem remains.

All of my testing leads me to conclude that the cause of my problem is related to the upper floor bedroom location. Nothing has changed in that vicinity. No changes in wiring, no additional applicances added.

QUESTION: What may have happened to my electrical lines or elsewhere that is causing the problem I am having? Any suggestions? 

Thank you.

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Failing to obtain IP address on a PLW1000v2 Access Point

Many things can cause interfence with powerline devices. these include surge protectors, cell phone chargers, arc fault circuits, gfci circuits, devices with a motor that's having issues, etc. If the powerline device work when they're closer, something changed within your home power circuit to add interference. Again, look to devices you've added on the circuits the powerline devices are one. try unplugging the devices on the circuit and seeing if the powerline will connect or not. If it does, add devices back in until you find out if a specific device is causing issues or at what point it fails. 

Here's an article on optimizing powerline devices that can help.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3041996/pump-up-your-powerline-how-to-get-the-best-performance-from-...

Message 2 of 5
jnisbett
Aspirant

Thank you poem and for the advice. I'll continue my trials to attempt a resolution. 

Message 3 of 5
Kuri
Aspirant

Hi Jnisbet, I am experiencing an identical situation. Upstairs, was working fine for over a year, nothing's changed, suddenly stopped working.
Were you able to fix yours? If so please share ! I'm sure frustrated with this!
Thank you!
Message 4 of 5
jnisbett
Aspirant

Hello. I was able to isolate my problem to my clothes dryer, which is on the same electrical circuit. Whenever my clothes dryer was on, my powerline connectivity failed. So I learned to dry clothes when I wasn't using my powerline.

I did nothing to solve my problem and the problem resolved itself after about two weeks. I now use my clothes dryer and powerline without any problem.

An electrician spoke about a phase shift occurring, and indicated the problem my recur. I am not an electrician and I cannot explain what may have occurred.

I hope your problem resolves sooner.

J. Nisbett

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7