× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fastlane

danco
Aspirant

Fastlane

I understand how Fastlane works, I think. But if both router and device can use 2.4 or 5 Ghz, is there any advantage in using one Fastlane setup over the other (that is, which device has a 2.4 connection and which has 5).

On another matter, the country code is shown as FR even though I am in Great Britain. Is this of any signifcance? And if so what can be done about it?

Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello danco

Here is a article on fastlane with extenders

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24662/~/what-is-fastlane-technology-and-how-do-i-confi...

also you should be able to change your region in the wireless settings 

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
danco
Aspirant

Thanks. I had read the article before I posted, But when both Fastlane options are possible, as far as I can see there's no suggestion as to which is better. Maybe it doesn't matter.

I'll double-check the region, but my memory is that the setting was only Europe (and, of course, other areas). There was no option to specify Great Britain. Again, I'm not sure that the extender's choice of France will cause any issues, but it might.

Had I stated that the model I have is EX3700.

Message 3 of 4
docmarkyoung
Aspirant

Sorry to hijack, but I have a related fastlane question so thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread.

I have a networked drive in a room away from my router and want it connected to the router at as high a speed as possible. I will then access the hard drive via ethernet connected to the router. Ethernet and powerline adapters aren't options for connecting to the hard drive though, so I thought a simultaneous dual-band ac connection to a 6150 near my hard dive, which then connects to it's ethernet port, would be a good solution. My router supports this.

The suggestions for fastlane options don't really cover this though. I'd have thought the 'basic' mode would be best, as it would allow simultaneous dual-band connection (theoretically 1200mbps), rather than 2.4Ghz one way (probably router to extender) and 5Ghz the other. But the Netgear guidance says basic (or 'internet surfing') mode 'reduces wifi performance'. I can see why this might be if it was operating as a range extender, but not for my situation (where no other devices would use the extended wifi ssid).

Would the dual band bandwidth automatically be halved, one half upload from router to extender and the other half download from extender back to router? Some discussions seem to suggest this. Or would I get what I want; all 1200mbps (in theory...) available for upload or download as required?

If no-one can answer I'll run a few tests in different modes and report back.

Cheers,

Mark

Oh, in reply to original post; as I understand it, you choosde the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz depending on where you want the fastest / longest range connection; between the router and extender or between extender and wifi devices. Of course if you're just extending your internet connection then the different speeds of 2.4 and 5Ghz are not an issue. Both are probably faster than your internet conection, and you'll be limited to the slower one (probably 2.4Ghz) anyway, as the internet signal will go through both ranges before it gets to / from your wifi devices. In this case I'd guess range is the more important consideration, so use 2.4Ghz for wherever you need more range. Things get a bit more complicated when you have devices talking to each other, or where you have a device attached to the ethernet on the extender, as I do.

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7