× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Incompatibility between Internet Explorer 9 and WN3000RP installation software

kieran
Aspirant

Incompatibility between Internet Explorer 9 and WN3000RP installation software

I had trouble (re)connecting my WN3000RP wifi range extender. After many frustrating hours on the helpline one persistent operator realized there is an incompatibility between the installation software in the device and Internet Explorer 9 (when originally installed I was using an earlier IE version). This also prevented the downloading of firmware update.

The solution was to download Mozilla Firefox, using firefox log on to mywifiext.net/start.htm (name=admin, password=password), download the firmware update, save it to desktop. Connect device to computer with ethernet cable, open new firefox window, go to mywifiext.net/start choose Firmware update, browse to find file with .chk extension, update via Ethernet cable, logout. Reset device using paperclip inserted through pinhole.
Open new firefox window, opens the installation Genie. Follow instructions.

Once correctly installed there is no problem using IE9 to browse.

I may have been the guinea pig on whom this problem was discovered (after replacing my device with a new one and a further replacement device at the helpline's suggestion). At least I was able to return the replacement device and get a store refund but not of the €50 I spent at a repair shop who also could not spot the problem or solution.....unless Netgear Customer Relations come up with the goods.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Incompatibility between Internet Explorer 9 and WN3000RP installation software

did you use IE compatible mode?
Message 2 of 7
kieran
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
did you use IE compatible mode?

Sorry I don't know what that means...once using firefox the installation was as it should have been, and once installed the device is running properly.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Google it

IE compatible mode
Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

IE Compatibity mode does not fix the problem. I have the same problem with my WN3000RP and IE9.

Chrome can be used as well. IE9 allows initial configuration but will crash everytime after you hit the "Finished" button or try to login after config.
Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Correction: IE9 Compatibility Mode DOES work. Thought I had tried it before, but I guess not. It's a bit tricky to get into it, but can be done.

Much easier to use Chrome or Firefox.
Message 6 of 7
Advertman
Aspirant

How come I did updated It with IE9? since I received it more then a year ago. I always used the download function on the site and upgraded it into the extender!

Maybe you have some popup blocker or browser add-on which prevents you from seeing some page screens. when I want to go to some site I always have to turn off trace security but now I am using IE10.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series