× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for an access point for my RAX200

Danofski
Aspirant

Looking for an access point for my RAX200

I am moving into a new house soon and already had a RAX200 gaming router in my 110 m2 appartement.
The new house has 3 floors and is about 130 m2. On the 1st floor I have an access point with PoE.
Which access point to pick? Of do I have to get something else?
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Looking for an access point for my RAX200

I'd get something like an extender, EAX80 to connect to the RAX so you have more coverage and integrated extender to help extend the wifi in the new home. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Just to clarify, you have 130m sq. Works out to around 1184 sqft? 

Sound about right? 

If so, the RAX200 should cover that much easily if you centrally locate it. 

Or is that 130m sq per floor? (still should be able to cover it if centrally located and doesn't have walls that block wifi)

Message 3 of 6
Danofski
Aspirant

The “problem” with that is that I need it to place it in a bedroom. I just have a PoE port near the stairs dedicated for an access point, so I thought of using that one
Message 4 of 6
Danofski
Aspirant

It’s the total of 138 m2 of the house. I
Figured it would be enough. I just want to be sure and already checking in if it isn’t enough.
All walls and floors are concrete with steel inside, so I hope it won’t block that much signal to reach the 2nd floor office
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Danofski wrote:

All walls and floors are concrete with steel inside, so I hope it won’t block that much signal to reach the 2nd floor office

Ouch. Those 2 materials do an amazing job of blocking wifi. Literally the best at blocking wifi. 

Those types of homes tend to have to invest more in things like ethernet runs, MoCa adapters, powerline adapters, etc with using multiple access points to provide coverage. 

It might take some playing around with different setups to get decent coverage. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7