× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Low bandwidth even with extender

EHB027
Follower

Low bandwidth even with extender

I recently purchased a more expensive NETGEAR Nighthawk triband extender after two cheaper and smaller wall plug extenders failed to give me a good connection. Unfortunately, I have run into the same problem with the NETGEAR one as the previous ones. While the mbps near the extender is higher than the previous ones at 40-60, in my room upstairs where I got it for it still hovers around 9 mbps, the same as the previous ones. My connection often registers as slow or fine on speed tests nowhere near the roughly 200 mbps my non-5ghz WiFi band puts out or the 50-60 mbps in the master bedroom. I have tried moving the extender to the kitchen, living room and office outside of my upstairs bedroom, all of which register as optimal placement with a solid white LED, but the mbps in my room is still very poor at 9-10mbps, if that. Am I doing something wrong? Is the extender defective or not designed to deliver high speeds? I know it said whole-home WiFi, perhaps I was naive or misinterpreted what it was supposed to do, as it does give me a good connection at all bars, just one with very slow upload and download speeds nowhere near the capability of my router and comparable to cheap 20-40 dollar alternatives, one of which was practically a no-name brand. Any help would be appreciated. I hope I just have not figured out how to get the best out of this product, and this isn't actually its maximum capability. I really want it to work and like the design and features, and don't want to go through the hassle of returning or replacing it. I have all-fibreoptic internet so I know it’s not my router.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Low bandwidth even with extender

Fibre optic is just the signal incoming. What actual router do you have?

the router is the backbone of the system and what the extender is forced to run off. a poor performing router is going to make for a poor performing extender. 

What size is your home? 

What is the interior walls and floor made of? Certain materials block wifi better than others. 

What channel are you using for the backhaul connection between router----extender?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7