× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Low internet speed on PLW1000v2 Extender

Devoratrix
Aspirant

Low internet speed on PLW1000v2 Extender

Hello,
I recently got PLW1000v2. Connected it to my modem with cat6 LAN cable. And the other device with antennas is plugged in a room right next to it. Everything is working properly. Connection is solid. But... The speed, looks like it's capped at 75mbps. No matter if it's a cable or WiFi. Both speeds I get are max 75mbps. My main internet speed is 600mbps which I usually get when connecting directly to my modem, without the extander. But when I connect to the extender the speed is somhow capped at 75mbps. Both devices are plugged in directly to sockets in the wall. I've updated the firmware, but it changed nothing. Tried changing cables and ports, but everything is working fine. In the device settings there's no such thing as "Cap at 75mbps". Device's settings say that Wireless mode is set to "up to 433~mbps" (5ghz). But I can't get even that. What Am I doing wrong ? 

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

what are you doing wrong? Nothing. It can be mulitple issues. 

Many people see outlets next to each other or just 1 room over and think "they're close to each other, they should work great". When many times, those outlets have quite a bit of wiring between them because they might be on different circuit breakers. so they might be within 10ft of each other but have 100+ft of wiring in between them. When they're on the same circuit, their performance is quite amazing but add a circuit inbetween them, and performance drops off quite a bit. 

also, many things can interfere with powerline. Such as: 

high draw appliances

Old/bad/poorly done wiring

gfci outlets

arc fault outlets 

surge protectors

electronics going bad

cheap cell phone chargers

distance

Poorly made electronics

This can all inject interference in the powerline system.

There's also a misunderstanding in performance. Powerline numbers are over inflated more than wireless and thats already pretty bad. 

I'd take a read through actual testing on the PL1200. Its a step up from yours but should give you some actual performance data to go off that is pretty reliable. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32717-netgear-pl1200-powerline-1200-reviewed

Message 2 of 3
Devoratrix
Aspirant

Well, then I might look into my powerline more closely. I'll test more with other electronics plugged out. Because there are a few things working on the same circuit. Thank you for your help. If I don't forget, I'll post if it worked.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7