× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N300 Extender

ejfreeman
Tutor

N300 Extender

I have 2 questions:

1. How can I keep the extender from losing its internet connection?  After an hour of no use in the extender, there is no internet .

2.  Can I rename the extender the same name as the router, without the ext added to it?

Ed

Ejfreeman125@gmail.com

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: N300 Extender

Hi @ejfreeman,

Welcome to the community!

1. What is the status of the Router Link LED?

2. Yes, you can rename it but it will be difficult to identify for troubleshooting purposes.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ejfreeman,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 9
ejfreeman
Tutor

I reset it back to factory and it is working fine.

Thank you,

Ed
Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ejfreeman,

Thank you for the update and confirmation. Glad to know you got it working.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 5 of 9
jayburn84
Tutor

I have an N300 which I use to my secondary PC in my room (same room as the modem/router). I did not have an extra ethernet port available, plus considering how close it was I knew the signal would be solid heh. Besides a few hiccups when I initially set it up, then moved it, I have had 0 issues with the N300 going to one of my PC's. That PC just did not have a Wireless Card, I tried a USB WiFi Network Adapter, several, and they were all terrible. It was just easier to find a 1ft ethernet cable and patch into an N300 on the wall outlet in this room.

As for extending, I wasn't having much luck with that. The WiFi signal off the N300 _EXT network given was not very good.. but that was when I had it downstairs trying it for a laptop. I think these things are really only good for apartments, or to be in the same or next room to your modem/router. I'm not convinced they extend all that far, but they are great to keep close by if you have a PC or device and don't mind running a short network cable.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@jayburn84 wrote:

I have an N300 which I use to my secondary PC in my room (same room as the modem/router). I did not have an extra ethernet port available

A better plan would have been to get a small gigabit switch, and connect that to your router to create more ports.  That would cost the same (or less) and would have delivered better speeds.

@jayburn84 wrote:

I think these things are really only good for apartments, or to be in the same or next room to your modem/router. I'm not convinced they extend all that far,

Well, performance depends on what extender you purchase, and also the signal environment (what is blocking the signal; what is interfering with the signal).  An N300 extender is not a high-end performer (at least not any more).

If your router covers a radius of 50 feet (circular) you can generally expand that to around 80 feet or more in one direction with the appropriate extender.  A higher-end extender has the same radio performance as a high-end router,  but you do need to overlap the coverage, to ensure that the extender has a solid connection to the router's wifi.

Message 7 of 9
jayburn84
Tutor

We actually just picked up the EX7000 Nighthawk. I was looking at the PLPW (Powerline 2000 WiFi) Wall Adapters... as it had been recommended by a fellow customer on the same ISP as me. I decided to spring the extra $25-30'sh instead for the EX7000.

I actually love my N300, it works great in my room for the extra PC I have that I use just for media and to mess around on while gaming on my main system... I just could not get a reliable WiFi Card/Adapter working on that PC so I just hardlined it to the N300 plugged in the wall right next it... have never had an issue or had to reconnect in almost 2 years it seems. I had purchased 2 and still have an extra in case someone else needs one in the house. They work great if in range of our Xfinity issued Arris TG1682G, but for our haunted and strange downstairs environment of a household we absolutely needed something beefier, which is why I grabbed the EX7000 and althought it's only been 1 day, it's been great.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Thx for following up!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7