× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help connecting to 5GHz on the EX7500 Wifi Extender

Rugae
Aspirant

Need help connecting to 5GHz on the EX7500 Wifi Extender

Hello,

I have a problem connecting to the 5 GHz with the EX7500 Wifi Extender. On mywifiext, it indicates that the extender is connected to my router. My router is Netgear RAX40. However, under 5 GHz, it indicates that there is no connection. 

Some details that I thought would make it easier for you to understand my problem:

Router: RAX40 2.4 GHz channel is 11; 5 GHz channel is 48

Extender           2.4 GHz channel is auto; 5 GHz channel is 149

On the extender, solid blue light on Link status, Power, 2.4 GHz, WPS. No light at all on 5 GHz even thought mywifiext indicates it is connected. When I first set up, the extender was able to find both of the 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz network and signal strength were 100% for both. Please help, thank you!

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Need help connecting to 5GHz on the EX7500 Wifi Extender

the EX7500 is a triband extender. so you have 1x 2.4ghz radio and 2x 5ghz radios. so one is connected to the router (which is showing). the other is for devices to connect to. If a device is connected to the 5ghz, the 5ghz led will light up. If nothings connected to it, it stays off. Your status page you linked it showing 5ghz broadcasting with nothing connected to it. So the lights off. 

If you're using the "onessid" function, it bandsteers devices between 2.4ghz and 5ghz. your devices must be on the 2.4ghz. 

Message 2 of 11
Rugae
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.

The thing is I have multiple devices connected to 5 GHz but the light is still off, though I can still use the internet on these devices. The light is not broken because when factory reset the extender, all the lights showed up normally. Not sure what the problem is.
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

so you're using it in mesh mode? using the single ssid function?

Are you sure they're not connected to the routers 5ghz?

They don't show up in the connected devices page? for the extender

Message 4 of 11
Rugae
Aspirant

Hi there,

The router is connected to the extender for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. If you look at the picture I posted along the first post, you can see that from router to extender, the color shown is green so they are connected. However on the extender side, under 5 GHz, it says “No connection” while the 2.4 GHz is connected as normally.
L
Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

the "no connection" is because there isn't a device connected to the 5ghz on the extender. Not that its not working. If its running mesh/bandsteering the extender moves devices between the 2.4ghz/5ghz. The device itself decides whether to connect to the router or extender by its own roaming protocols. 

Message 6 of 11
Rugae
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I barely had time to go back to this issue. If the case is as you described, can you please explain what this picture (see attached) mean? I'm not sure I'm setting this up right...

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

I have a feeling that either you're to far away from the router, to much stuff in the way, or the router isn't dual band. 

Reason why is the 2.4ghz is running for the backhaul when it should be using on of the 5ghz channels. It only defaults back to that if there's an issue connecting back to the routers 5ghz. 

And the connection back is only the 173mbps for the 2.4ghz. So its not even connected at full speed there.

2.4ghz can penetrate objects better and can broadcast further so if its not at full speed, the 5ghz definietly wouldn't be. 

Message 8 of 11
Rugae
Aspirant

The thing is the extender is currently in the same room as the router and is about 10 steps apart. The reason I’m doing that because I’m running into all these troubles and I want to eliminate distance as a factor :(. Do you think this has something to do with the channels they’re connecting to? Router is connected to channel 7 for 2.4Ghz and channel 118 for 5GHz. Extender is defaulted at “Auto” for 2.4 GHz (can’t change to anything else) and channel 149 for 5GHz
Message 9 of 11
Rugae
Aspirant

Also, the router is Netgear RAX40 and definitely is dual band because I can connect to both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz network even without the extender.
Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

@Rugae wrote:

The thing is the extender is currently in the same room as the router and is about 10 steps apart. The reason I’m doing that because I’m running into all these troubles and I want to eliminate distance as a factor :(. Do you think this has something to do with the channels they’re connecting to? Router is connected to channel 7 for 2.4Ghz and channel 118 for 5GHz. Extender is defaulted at “Auto” for 2.4 GHz (can’t change to anything else) and channel 149 for 5GHz

the extender backhaul functions off the routers 5ghz. 

Try changing your routers channel to a lower channel range (36-48) and not the DFS channels. 

Then reboot the router and extender and see if the 5ghz willl connect. 

If it doesn't, rerun setup on the extender. The whole purpose of the tri-bands is that 5ghz backhaul so speeds are faster because 2.4ghz is slow. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7