× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Connection in Certain Power Outlets

JayMcGee
Initiate

No Connection in Certain Power Outlets

Hello! I have a pair of Powerline Ethernet Over Power plugs I bought in 2014. They still work great. But in our new house, some power outlets get an internet connection and some don’t. I don’t know how to search for help with this issue because I don’t know how to phrase it in a standard way. For example, I have one Netgear plug connected to the modem/router and plugged into the wall in my office where the router is. When I plug the other one in inside our bedroom, one power outlet gets an Internet connection, and one doesn’t. The outlet that does not connect seems to be a much newer outlet added much later because it was installed high on the wall and includes an HMMI cable for TV. I have installed my TV in front of this newer outlet high on the wall and would like to be able to use it for EOP so I don’t have the Ethernet cable hanging down the wall to reach that lower electrical outlet that actually gets internet. I just need some help finding some troubleshooting for having certain power outlets that don’t work for EOP while others, including the outlet right on the same wall, do. Thank you very much. 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Problem with powerline devices is interference. Many things can cause interference. 

These include:

Gfci outlets

surge protectors

Arc fault breakers (required more often these days)

distance (they might be right next to each other but on totally different circuits, adding distance)

different circuits. Crossing circuits decreases speeds greatly

Old/bad/poorly done wiring 

electronics that are going bad or cheaply made can inject interference

so if they're working when they're on the same circuit, it isn't the powerline devices. It could be something either injecting interference or one of the other things that are causing interference. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Problem with powerline devices is interference. Many things can cause interference. 

These include:

Gfci outlets

surge protectors

Arc fault breakers (required more often these days)

distance (they might be right next to each other but on totally different circuits, adding distance)

different circuits. Crossing circuits decreases speeds greatly

Old/bad/poorly done wiring 

electronics that are going bad or cheaply made can inject interference

so if they're working when they're on the same circuit, it isn't the powerline devices. It could be something either injecting interference or one of the other things that are causing interference. 

Message 2 of 3
JayMcGee
Initiate

You’ve given me a lot to think about and to look into. I’m sure the solution is there somewhere. Thank you very much for your time!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7