× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RANGE EXTENDER EX370

rodelmurray
Aspirant

RANGE EXTENDER EX370

Why does my computer (a Mac) keep asking for a WPA2 password for my range extender? The password is INVALID apparently and I have tried every password possible on the back of my router. Can anyone help?

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

it does happen during setup where people accidentally put a space or something else in the wireless password that makes it invalid. 

Nice thing is that you can hook up to the EX3700 via the ethernet port and access it from there without needing the wifi info. Once you've hooked up to it, log into the device and change the password. Many times this fixes the issues. Just don't use autofill as if it saved the other password, it'll still be wrong. 

Message 2 of 11
rodelmurray
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I have connected the range extender to my computer by ethernet cable but I cannot get onto the www.mywifiext.net page through this. Any ideas? I have an Imac.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Does the internet work when directly connected? (make sure you shut off the wifi on your imac so its going through the ethernet connection)

Have you tried a different browser?

What are all the leds doing on the ex3700? (color/blinking/solid)

Message 4 of 11
rodelmurray
Aspirant

The internet works fine without the range extender. I have turned off the wifi and the ethernet is plugged into the computer and the extender. The netgear page which comes up does not mention the RANGE EXTENDER at all. It has a log-in section which then just takes me to a general netgear website. On the extender I have WPS and POWER light green. Router red (green when I had it connected through wifi). Device not lit up (but I can see it is trying as it occasionally lights green for a second or so (when I am trying to log in).

Message 5 of 11
rodelmurray
Aspirant

I can get the extender to connect to the router no problem and I can see the extender wifi 2 and 5 on my computer but it is the annoying WPA2 password IS INVALID which keeps coming up whatever I do. It should just be the password which we use for the router but it is definitely not.

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

@rodelmurray wrote:

The internet works fine without the range extender. I have turned off the wifi and the ethernet is plugged into the computer and the extender. The netgear page which comes up does not mention the RANGE EXTENDER at all. It has a log-in section which then just takes me to a general netgear website. On the extender I have WPS and POWER light green. Router red (green when I had it connected through wifi). Device not lit up (but I can see it is trying as it occasionally lights green for a second or so (when I am trying to log in).

I meant does the internet work if you have your pc hardwired into the extender. Not connected to the router at all. That's why I wanted you to turn off the wifi. So the pc wouldn't be connected to the router and the extender. 

If your router link led is red, it means poor connection from the extender to the router.

If the device isn't lit up, nothing is connected to it. If you have ethernet connect or a wireless device connected, it'll have a color. 

A couple questions. 
1. If you log into your router and look at the attached devices page (or similar as not sure what router you have), does the extender show up? What is its ip address in this section? That can be used to access the extender

2. When you setup the extender, did you have it wired from router---extender and then move it? You might have set it up in access point mode. 

Fastest route to potentially fix it if you can't get in? Factory reset it by holding reset for 7-10 seconds while its powered up. Then go through the install process again but do it manually instead of using wps. I also prefer to do setups with the computer hardwired to the extender. it tends to go smoother and faster. 

Message 7 of 11
rodelmurray
Aspirant

Yes I can connect to the internet with the range entender plugged in and the wifi switched off - which I suppose is a good thing? I wish it would then let me go directly to the RANGE EXTENDER SETUP.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

If its connected and working, its not taking you to setup because its been done. You should still be able to access the extender either via the mywifiext.net or via its assigned ip address from the router. That should allow you to login. Try a different browser or pc. 

Message 9 of 11
rodelmurray
Aspirant

ok Thank I will try a different browser. Thank you for your help!

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

Hope it works!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements