× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX54v2

Scg
Guide
Guide

RAX54v2

I have an extender connected to my router Wi-Fi and I cannot see any devices connected to that Extender with my Nighthawk app. I cannot see it while logged into my Netgear on the computer either. I cannot see devices connected to the extender. Please help me figure out what to do

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

What extender do you have? 

What router do you have 

Do you have anything connected to the extender? 

You can log into it? Do you have a screensnip of the status page through the browser?

Message 2 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

My router is an AX 5400 6. The extender is AOOEPU

The extender does not show up on my list of attached devices nor does anything connected on the other side of the extender. Here is a photo of everything attached and it's not there

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

So the router works fine but the generic knockoff extender doesn't? 
Why aren't you contacting the company that makes the extender?

Message 4 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

Who says the generic knockoff extender isn't working? It's working just fine. I have many devices connected to it and they all work just perfectly. The problem is I cannot see those devices from my Nighthawk app or when I log in to my router online. In your mind I guess that means it's a problem with the knockoff extender. I'm not so sure about that because I had a **bleep**load of problems with my previous Netgear router. It kept dropping the names of all my devices and would never save them every time I changed it. So I had to just take wild guesses on what device was what or look up the IP addresses for each one every damn time. I've had plenty of problems with Netgear. So let's try to figure out this problem, shall we? The extender works just fine but I can't see the devices on my Nighthawk app or on the computer when I log into the router.
Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

the problem is with how extenders work. 

The router gives them (extender) an IP address. The extender takes that address and assigns virtual IP addresses to the connected devices. This is how you can connect more devices to a router than it allows. Because the extender is assigning its own virtual IP addresses.  If it doesn't communicate how its doing this with the protocol the router uses, the router will have nothing to display. 

When you buy generic devices, you suddenly have limitations because they aren't the latest/greatest/or use the best protocols. So you have to work with their limitations. I've had to do that with IoT devices because of that. Netgear isn't going to suddenly implement a policy to "fix" their extenders or implement a new protocol based of a generic extender that uses who knows what protocol for its setup.

Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

This was a simplified explanation. its more complex than that but that's the quick/dirty version.
Message 7 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

So what's the remedy? Get a Netgear extender? Then I'll be able to see the devices Downstream of the extender, or is there no way to see those devices? I want to be able to not only see them but pause their internet access
Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

It should have its own management setup/features. 

Message 9 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

But I can't see the extender either from Nighthawk or when I log in Netgear on the computer. So I don't know the IP address of the extender.
Message 10 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

I do see 192.168.188.1 on the back of the repeater. I'm trying to type that in a web browser or on my phone when connected to the repeater and it's not number pulling anything up.
Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

Log into the router (not through the app) and look at the attached devices page for the extenders IP address
Message 12 of 14
Scg
Guide
Guide

The extender does not show up as one of the attached devices. It doesn't show up at all on the app or when I log into the router page. It's like it doesn't exist even though it is connected and functioning just fine. I cannot see it at all from the router login page.
Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

What mode did you set the extender up in? Is it hardwired in or wireless? 

Is it in wisp mode? Extender mode? 

Got a screensnip of the attached devices page? 

I'm curious if you have it in a different mode that's assigning a different IP subnet from the router and that's causing your issues. Do the devices attached to the extender get a different subnet range from the router? 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7