× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN802Tv2 firmware upgrade failure (Bricked)

illusjon
Aspirant

WN802Tv2 firmware upgrade failure (Bricked)

Hi.

When I got this AP, the first thing I did was upgrade the firmware, and after letting it upgrade for almost a hour, I thought the process was finished although the GUI didn't show any sign of it being finished (I figured there was some bug, and that I just had to go to the main login again.). And yes, I used a wired connection.

And now I get this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function defined() in /home/www/include/libs/Smarty.class.php on line 3

when I write the IP of the AP in my browser:

I've tried everything I've stumbled across on forums on the net, including TFTP send and having a TFTP server running with all the firmware files, while holding down the factory reset button 10/20/30/60 seconds while unplugging/plugging in the power.

My main question is, are there any specific ways to fix this problem on the WN802Tv2?
Message 1 of 12
Scottyboy
Aspirant

Did anything weird happen during the hour download, like, dropping power for any reason?

It sounds like the unit is out to lunch, like the firmware was corrupted during the download and saving process. I'm not sure how robust the Netgear boot firmware is to recover from an application firmware corruption. Re-powering, Reset button not working, etc., etc. seems to point this way. Any LEDs on?

Sort of sounds like you don't even have Ethernet port functionality yet to talk to the GUI.

Maybe Netgear has a "backdoor" to allow you to get access to basic functionality to let you download new firmware.

This might be a back-to-the-factory issue to have it Re-Flashed.

I know that this doesn't solve your immediate issue, but, I've seen this many times on many products when firmware upgrades are being made.
Message 2 of 12
illusjon
Aspirant

I have a connection with it, and all leds are functional. Reset button seems to work like it should.
Message 3 of 12
Scottyboy
Aspirant

When you press the Reset button, do the LEDs go out then come back on?

Do the LEDs flash or just come on and stay on?

Does the Network Icon on your Windows screen appear to have any activity to show that the Ethernet link is communicating? Does the Status show upload and download data byte activity?

(Trying to decide whether there is any intelligent life inside....)
Message 4 of 12
illusjon
Aspirant

The LEDs function just as they should, they go out, change to amber etc.. I can also communicate with it (status shows me sending packets when I try to access it). It's like only the GUI is broken. Also, I appreciate the responses Scottyboy.
Message 5 of 12
raging_blitzer
Aspirant

try following the steps they instruct here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150/

it might bring it back 🙂 good luck!
Message 6 of 12
illusjon
Aspirant

raging_blitzer wrote:
try following the steps they instruct here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150/

it might bring it back 🙂 good luck!

It didn't work, I can't get tftp access to it when it's operating/on. Is it possible that even though all the routers have the ability to reinstall the firmware by tftp, the AP's can't? Sounds pretty stupid, but I get the feeling that at least the WN802T's don't have this function.
Message 7 of 12
Scottyboy
Aspirant

It seems like you must have been successful in upgrading the firmware in the unit, then, at some level, it can't communicate.

Is there a new GUI version download as well?

I wonder if it could be a Windows driver update that occurred somewhere in the mix.

Do you have a different computer that you can use to isolate if it is on the WN802T side or the PC side to split the problem apart?
Message 8 of 12
illusjon
Aspirant

I don't think I know what you mean by that last part. Windows update wasn't doing anything while I updated the WN802T. Also, there isn't any GUI only download as far as I know. Something that urks me though, is the fact that the WN802Tv2 uses a .tar archive file for firmware updates, which none of the routers (or other AP's?) use.
Message 9 of 12
Hambo
Novice

Message 10 of 12
fitzharrys
Aspirant

Hambo wrote:
This helped me out of this hole:

http://blog.asgeirnilsen.com/2010/09...tv2-after.html

That link is broken. I have exactly this problem, please could you update the link as I need to find a solution?

Thanks
Message 11 of 12
DfDf
Aspirant

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7