× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WPS security on the WNDR3700-4000 series

NGDiracDeBrogli
Aspirant

WPS security on the WNDR3700-4000 series

Router WNDR3800 / firmware: v1.0.0.18 / Windows XP SP3

Hi,

What happens if my router is requested to set up a very first WPS client and the box [Keep Existing Wireless Settings] is ENABLED?
Can my router then continue setting up the WPS? If yes, what is then the SSID and the passphrase?

Johan
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WPS security on the WNDR3700-4000 series

both are option are available to use
Message 2 of 7
NGDiracDeBrogli
Aspirant

I'll rephrase my question. Is it possible on a 3700-4000 router to set up a first-time WPS connection (so there are no other WPS networks on my router yet) while the box [Keep Existing Wireless Settings] is ENABLED?

Is there anybody who could do the test because I don't have a laptop that supports WPS.

J
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

diable PIN for WPS

WPS it will not initiate without pressing the WPS button and it need PIN number for WPS capable wifi devices so in essence someone can not connect using WPS
Message 4 of 7
NGDiracDeBrogli
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
diable PIN for WPS

Done that already.

jmizoguchi wrote:
WPS it will not initiate without pressing the WPS button and it need PIN number for WPS capable wifi devices so in essence someone can not connect using WPS

Not true. One can use Push 'N' Connect to establish a WPS connection. In that case there are no passwords, no passphrases nor any PIN numbers involved. Have a look at the WPS (Push 'N' Connect) procedure on page 20 of the following document:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR380/Documentation/UM/WNDR3800_UM_8Sep11.pdf

Noteworthy to mention is that the procedure to establish a WPS connection --- be it a Push 'N' or PIN number method --- is essentially of no relevance to my earlier question. So I am coming back to my previous question:
Is it possible on a 3700-4000 router to set up a first-time WPS connection (there are no other WPS networks on the router yet) while the box [Keep Existing Wireless Settings] is ENABLED? Or, is that under those conditions impossible? Is there anybody who could do the test because I don't have a laptop that supports WPS.

J
Message 5 of 7
NGDiracDeBrogli
Aspirant

Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WPS button. You can use this button to use WPS to add a wireless device or computer to your wireless network. The LED below the WPS button blinks green when the router is trying to add the wireless device or computer. The LED stays solid green when wireless security is enabled in the router.

WPS Settings.You can add WPS devices to your network.
• Router’s PIN. This is the PIN number you use on a registrar (e.g., from Network Explorer on a Vista Windows PC) to configure the router's wireless settings through WPS. You can also find the PIN on the router's product label.
Advanced Settings
N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Premium Edition WNDR3800

Disable Router’s PIN. You can configure the router's wireless settings or add a wireless client through WPS using the router's PIN only when the PIN is enabled. The router's PIN can be disabled temporarily when the router detects suspicious attempts to break into the router's wireless settings by using the router's PIN through WPS.You can manually enable this function by clearing the check box and clicking the Apply button.

Keep Existing Wireless Settings. This shows whether the router has been set up to use WPS. If this option is not selected, adding a new wireless client will change the router's wireless settings to an automatically generated random SSID and security key. In addition, if this option is selected, some external registrars (such as Network Explorer on Vista Windows) might not see the router. Configuring wireless settings selects this option automatically.

Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Method
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a standard for easily adding computers and other devices to a home network while maintaining security. To use WPS, make sure that all wireless devices to be connected to the network are Wi-Fi certified and support WPS. During the connection process, the client gets the security settings from the router so that every device in the network has the same security settings.

 To use WPS to join the wireless network:

If your wireless device supports WPS (Push 'N' Connect), follow these steps:
1. Press the WPS button on the router front panel .
2. Within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on your wireless device or follow the WPS
instructions that came with the device. The device is now connected to your router.
3. Repeat steps 1–2 to add other WPS wireless devices.

here is some .......
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7