× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wi-Fi Mesh connections

Eccleslad
Aspirant

Wi-Fi Mesh connections

I want to buy a Netgear Wi-Fi mesh system for use in a two storey, steel frame, concrete floor building about 60ft square. Internal walls are brick. It is a non-domestic building.

Our phone/ broadband enters the building at one corner on the upper floor. Most of building has no Wi-Fi coverge.

I would like to install a Netgear mesh system to obtain a good signal throughout the building but I am concerned about coverage due to the building size and construction.

Is it possible to connect nodes together with ethernet cable if distances are too great to connect wirelessly?

Is there a better solution?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Wi-Fi Mesh connections

@Eccleslad wrote:

Thanks for your response. Two further questions from a non-techy.

1. Would there be any signal strength loss due to long ethernet cable connection? Due to satisfactory routing of the cables, cable length could be 20m.---thats fine. You can run up to 100m with proper ethernet cables. 

2. The building in question has occasional public usage..  I was thinking about positioning the units above a grid suspended ceiling out of reach of tamperers.  Is a separate power supply necessary or does ethernet cable provide power?-----the consumer orbi and most of the pro orbi's don't support power over ethernet. They need their own power supply There is 1 satellite in the pro version that does. its the SRC60. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@Eccleslad wrote:

I want to buy a Netgear Wi-Fi mesh system for use in a two storey, steel frame, concrete floor building about 60ft square. Internal walls are brick. It is a non-domestic building.

Our phone/ broadband enters the building at one corner on the upper floor. Most of building has no Wi-Fi coverge.

I would like to install a Netgear mesh system to obtain a good signal throughout the building but I am concerned about coverage due to the building size and construction.

Is it possible to connect nodes together with ethernet cable if distances are too great to connect wirelessly?

Is there a better solution?

Connecting them via ethernet cable is actually the best way to do it. Its also going to be the best for you because of the concrete floor between stories and the steel frame. These are the 2 best materials at blocking wifi. With orbi it uses either a wifi backhaul or wired backhaul. But the wired is the ideal for you if you can do it. 

I'd look at the netgear orbi/orbi pro line depending on size and usage. 

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/

https://www.netgear.com/orbi-pro/

Message 2 of 4
Eccleslad
Aspirant

1. Would there be any signal strength loss due to long ethernet cable connection? Due to satisfactory routing of the cables, cable length could be 20m.

2. The building in question has occasional public usage..  I was thinking about positioning the units above a grid suspended ceiling out of reach of tamperers.  Is a separate power supply necessary or does ethernet cable provide power?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Eccleslad wrote:

1. Would there be any signal strength loss due to long ethernet cable connection? Due to satisfactory routing of the cables, cable length could be 20m.---thats fine. You can run up to 100m with proper ethernet cables. 

2. The building in question has occasional public usage..  I was thinking about positioning the units above a grid suspended ceiling out of reach of tamperers.  Is a separate power supply necessary or does ethernet cable provide power?-----the consumer orbi and most of the pro orbi's don't support power over ethernet. They need their own power supply There is 1 satellite in the pro version that does. its the SRC60. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7