× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: connecting AC1200 wifi range extender to powerline AV 200 wireless extender

leogabrielmiche
Initiate

connecting AC1200 wifi range extender to powerline AV 200 wireless extender

I have a two story brick colonial house with finished basement.  Our Verizon FIOS router is in the basement. I've successfully set up the Netgear Powerline AV 200 2 part kit with the adapter in the basement (near the router) and the AV 200 extender on the first floor.  However, because our wifi signal is still spotty on our second floor (affecting our Smart TV), I'd like to install a second extender on that floor.  A Netgear customer agent some time ago suggested I do that with a AC1200 range extender, which I purchased, but I'm having trouble getting it to work reliably.  I would appreciate some help.  Or is it simply impossible to have a reliable signal using two different models of Netgear extenders?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

That brick house, is it got the original wiring? 

Powerline works great but not with old school wiring. 

Any way you have coax ran through the home? 

What are the floors made of? 

Brick homes are a PITA because the brick does a great job of blocking wifi and causing issues. 

Message 2 of 4
leogabrielmiche
Initiate

Thanks for your response. Yes, it is an old home (1939), brick with plaster walls, and mix of old and new wiring. Since my post, I contacted Verizon and their tech said problem could be my old Verizon router, now more than 12 years old. We worked out a deal that they will replace the router with new model, as well as my 3 cable tv boxes, and waive the installation fee. Monthly fee goes up only $8 and he assured me we won’t need any extender. We’ll see in a week if he’s right, so I will put this request on hold for now. But I do appreciate your interest.😀
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Good luck! Hope it works out great for you!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7