× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access my router settings (log-in) in any way (factory reset'd several times)

JohnFairfax
Aspirant

Cannot access my router settings (log-in) in any way (factory reset'd several times)

Hey everyone, before I start I want to apologize if this is not the correct section to post this thread.

The router I currently own is this one (click here) and I simply cannot access my router settings (routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1) I do get the text box to input my username : password but all the login infos I've looked up in google won't work. Text Box I get to see.

I tried multiple sites to check for login info and none work, one of those being this huge "2018 updated" list:
https://www.lifewire.com/netgear-default-password-list-2619154

At the beggining I thought it could be my router messing stuff around because sometimes I got a message saying "Your conenction is not secure" so I tried on MS Edge and then on Firefox, no luck either.

I decided to contact ISP, blah, blah, for security reasons they cannot give me admin : password (not sure why?) [My ISP provided me this Netgeat router, I didn't buy it by myself].

Anyhow I did not care about what they said because I used to have TrendNET router and could access to my router settings with no interference from them; the next big step I did was holding the little "factory reset" until the power light started to blink (Not sure if it's held more time it might do something).

After factory reset I got the default SSID and PW of the network, I logged in, and had to "log-in" to the network, the only thing it said was the SSID and PW I already knew and 2 buttons, one was to print all the info and the other one to proceed and "activate" the internet.

Tried all the possible combinations of admin : password after factory reset and no luck either, no I'm stuck with a SSID called "SureWest-f1" instead of the custom SSID I want.

I remember once after a while (because I gave up and submitting a live chat here required a proof of purchase which I don't have because like I mentioned before, my ISP gave this to me) I remember attempting to factory reset it again like 4+ times, and only ONE of them allowed me to access the router info, I had like 3 options to choose, continue with net, configure settings, etc. (instead of the print thing screen I mentioned before) but amazingly unlucky me something happened and after settings everything I wanted, the save button or whatever it was simply didn't work, didn't have connection anymore, had to factory reset again and since then I haven't ever been able to access my router settings apart from that lucky try. (Not exactly sure WHAT I did that one time, maybe I held the factory reset button longer? Who knows..)

I'd really like to access my router settings to change SSID how I want, custom password, and doing some port-forwarding.

Please any help is appreciated, my ISP just won't help me, they're limiting me what to do with my OWN router.

Model: WNDR3800|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: Cannot access my router settings (log-in) in any way (factory reset'd several times)

> The router I currently own is this one (click here) [...]

Why not simply type the model number?

> [...] all the login infos I've looked up in google won't work. [...]

That non-description conveys no useful information to the
non-psychics in your audience.

> [...] I got a message saying "Your conenction is not secure" [...]

That's normal when using "http://" (not "https://") with a modern Web
browser.  And what did you do then?  Continue?  Quit?

> [...] [My ISP provided me this Netgeat router, I didn't buy it by
> myself]. [...]

If the router is running ISP-specific firmware, then the usual
Netgear (retail-router) default credentials might not work.  In that
case, your ISP might be the best source of information on it.

> [...] After factory reset I got the default SSID and PW of the
> network, [...] I'm stuck with a SSID called "SureWest-f1" instead of
> the custom SSID I want.

If the settings reset gave you a default SSID of "SureWestXXX", and
not "NETGEARxxx", then it sure looks to me like ISP-specific firmware.
Regarding SureWest, I know nothing, but a quick Web search for keywords
like, say:

surewest router password

might find more relevant information than you'll get from a pure Netgear
source.  For example:

https://tpsconsulting.blogspot.com/2014/12/consolidated-communications-cci-router.html

which suggests "admin" and "cciadmin".

> [...] I'm looking to change my router's MAC Address [...]

That could be possible if you could get into the router's
administration web site.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
JohnFairfax
Aspirant

Re: Cannot access my router settings (log-in) in any way (factory reset'd several times)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

For now I'm looking to change my router's MAC Address so I can get a new Public IP Address, need this for security reasons.

Message 2 of 4
antinode
Guru

> The router I currently own is this one (click here) [...]

Why not simply type the model number?

> [...] all the login infos I've looked up in google won't work. [...]

That non-description conveys no useful information to the
non-psychics in your audience.

> [...] I got a message saying "Your conenction is not secure" [...]

That's normal when using "http://" (not "https://") with a modern Web
browser.  And what did you do then?  Continue?  Quit?

> [...] [My ISP provided me this Netgeat router, I didn't buy it by
> myself]. [...]

If the router is running ISP-specific firmware, then the usual
Netgear (retail-router) default credentials might not work.  In that
case, your ISP might be the best source of information on it.

> [...] After factory reset I got the default SSID and PW of the
> network, [...] I'm stuck with a SSID called "SureWest-f1" instead of
> the custom SSID I want.

If the settings reset gave you a default SSID of "SureWestXXX", and
not "NETGEARxxx", then it sure looks to me like ISP-specific firmware.
Regarding SureWest, I know nothing, but a quick Web search for keywords
like, say:

surewest router password

might find more relevant information than you'll get from a pure Netgear
source.  For example:

https://tpsconsulting.blogspot.com/2014/12/consolidated-communications-cci-router.html

which suggests "admin" and "cciadmin".

> [...] I'm looking to change my router's MAC Address [...]

That could be possible if you could get into the router's
administration web site.

Message 3 of 4
JohnFairfax
Aspirant

Thank you very much, this was it!

This was confusing because the guy initially gave me "SWAdmin" and password "$WN3Tw0rK!"

Who would've known that, thanks antinode.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7