× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Connecing a WAC510 to a Nighthawk Mesh System

tday0969
Aspirant

Connecing a WAC510 to a Nighthawk Mesh System

I'm trying to set up a new access point on my cousin's network.  Her old Accepoint died.  I was going to replace it with a WAC510.  Her office is away from the main house and is connect via a wireless bridge.

I can get the WAC510 to connect and work perfectly with my own network at my house.  Everything works with no errors.  I have it directly plugged into my Aris Wifi router that is connected to my ISP.

I can not get the WAC510 to recognized my cousin's network when plugged directly into it.  Her network is a Nighthawk Mesh system. I believe it is the dual band Wifi 6 version.  When I power the access point and plug it in, the power light never moves beyond the yellow initial power cycle.  I'm not sure where to look to see what is preventing it from connecting fully.

Any help with finding the roadblock is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecing a WAC510 to a Nighthawk Mesh System

what point to point system are you using? 

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

The Ethernet port you try to connect the WAC510 is on a wiröews extender system, somehow coupled to a Nighthawk Mesh system serving the main building.

Simple test would be connecting another computer with a wired adapter to that Ethernet port to confirm this is workable.

Have connected the WAC510 using the WAN port to this unknown extender?

The fine documentation https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC510/WAC510_UM_EN.pdf says for Power LED remains solid amber on p.233 on Diagnostics and Troubleshooting

When you turn on the power to the access point, the Power LED lights solid amber
temporarily and then turns solid green, indicating that the startup procedure is complete
and the access point is ready.
If the Power LED remains solid amber and does not turn solid green, a failure occurred
or the access point is malfunctioning.
If the Power LED does not turn solid green, do the following:
1. Turn the power off and back on and wait several minutes to see if the access point
recovers.
2. If the access point does not recover, you can use the Reset button to return the
access point to its factory default settings. For more information, see Use the Reset
button to reset the access point on page 196.
If the error persists, a hardware problem might exist. For recovery instructions or help
with a hardware problem, contact technical support at netgear.com/support.

Message 3 of 6
tday0969
Aspirant

It is just a simple ingenius wireless bridge, but for the time being I am just connecting directly to the router.  The bridge is not in play until I get the Access Point communicating with the network.  

Message 4 of 6
tday0969
Aspirant

I am just connecting directly to the router.  The bridge is not in play until I get the Access Point communicating with the network.  

When I connect to my home network the Access Point work just fine.

When i connect to the nighthawk, it does not get to the green stage.  

All thing being equal it should work on both if directly connected.  I suspect that there is something in the nighthawk that is preventing it from becoming active but I don't know what.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

What mesh system is it? (mk60? mk80?)

What modem/gateway is the mesh system connected to? 

Why not try factory resetting the access point and connecting it to the nighthawk system and running setup? just seems like it could be something that you're doing when setting it up on your system that its causing a bad setting/issue. 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements