× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: How to manage more than one access point (WAX620 - WAX630)

Giaquo
Tutor

How to manage more than one access point (WAX620 - WAX630)

Hi everyone,
I'm interested to buy some APs, mixed among WAX620 and WAX630. These models have "instant mesh" feature, but I don't understand if insight subscription is required.
Can I join more than one APs without insight, only with local web interface?

Message 1 of 18
Giaquo
Tutor

Rif.: How to manage more than one access point (WAX620 - WAX630)

I've found the answer in the WAX630 manual.
https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAX630/WAX630_UM_EN.pdf

Now I'm wondering why on the consumer market mesh feature is free, while buying an enterprise access point (that costs much more, and in this case it isn't even router) I have to pay...
I have an old router (not Netgear this) I've payed literally a quarter of a WAX630, and I can manage the mesh network from local web-GUI for free.

Message 2 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Complete confusion by marketing terms here. 

The Instant Mesh term applies only to the ability for defining one (or multiple) wired WAX6xx as root APs where one or multiple WAX6xx can be "connected" wireless making a wireless backhaul for each. What makes up a basic consumer Mesh (802.11k and 802.11v) can be configured (one by one) on each WAC or WAX. Or can you buy wireless routers with 802.11ax and three radios for just a few Dollars somewhere?

The Netgear WAC5xx and WAX6xx are definitively inexpensive business access points when I'm comparing with vendors even requiring mandatory support contracts for firmware updates (even for security), requiring per-device license fees (lack of local management options typically). Consumer Mesh is barely supporting a single VLAN, allows local management only (free single point of failure), does not include switch VLAN management, and much more. Last but not least, most consumer Mesh does not support PoE, does not support MultiGig Ethernet - figure.

With the Insight subscription, you pay for the cloud management, the ability of using 802.11r, full seamless roaming 802.11k/11r/11v) even for clients requiring authentication allowing dynamic VLAN assignment, and much more. Still incredibly inexpensive with some 10 USD per managed device (like WAX or switch) and starting from the second year (1st year is free currently with most new devices).

Message 3 of 18
Giaquo
Tutor

First of all, I wouldn't say that a consumer router is better than these APs, but just underline the mesh feature is free in consumer router and I thaught it isn't for these APs...

So, I think you've reason, confused by marketing terms. What is the "instant mesh" technology? From your reply, I've understood is the 802.11r protocol (BSS) added in order to obtain a better "seamless roaming". Then, always from your reply, I suppose that, without insight subscription, I can setup these APs with protocols 802.11k (RRM) and 802.11v, but I have to setup each AP. Let me know if is correct.

At the end, I'd like to explain what I'm looking for in my next APs. I DON'T need the cloud management, and possibly neither a controller (in 2021 the enterprise APs can do what I need without a controller). If I can setup once for all APs is better, obviously, but I need 3-4 APs, so I can setup each one if needed. These APs must be wifi 6 and PoE, with at least 8 spacial streams and 2.5Gbps ethernet port. As multi-APs configuration, it's necessary seamless roaming.
Pay these devices isn't a problem, but for me if I buy a product I have to be able to use all its potential. I don't want to pay forever, even if little, to be able to use MY device. And now I'm wondering if Netgear has a device for me.

Anyway, thanks for your answer and for the availability

Message 4 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Enterprise grade APs with 8x8:8 stream come with massive higher costs - and all come with support costs, license requirements for updates and management. Calculate roughly at least 1000 USD per AP, 15..20% annual maintenance. 

Friendly reminder: 8x8:8 isn't nessecarely better than 4x4:4. Oh and there is no 10G PoE++ required. It simply does not make much sense to squeeze that much WiFi into a single AP for most developments - except for consumers which want ot buy the absolute best geeky wireless router to be set-up in the middle of the house (with all physical disadvantages for free).

Netgear only offers affordable APs for this SMB and SOHO business: The WAX630 with three radios, two 5 GHz, one 2.4 GHz, each 4x4: for around 100 USD per radio (300 USD) [2.5G uplink, 802.3bt 60W PoE++], the WAX620 with two 4x4:4 radios for about 230 USD [2.5G uplink, 802.3at 25.5W PoE+], and the WAX610 to cover areas in the house where you rarely need WiFi for some 150 USD [GbE uplink, 802.3af <15.5W PoE]. 

Instant Mesh is _only_ where you have to extend the wireless coverage where no wired networking is available. Nice for coverage, barely comparable with wired network access points.

If you expect free centralized management - Netgear isn't your destiny. 

Message 5 of 18
Giaquo
Tutor

Another miss understanding, my fault. 8 spacial streams referred to both radios (4 + 4, if there's a third radio 4 + 4 + 4). And "at least" in my previous reply is referred only to spacial streams (at least 8, the WAX630 has 12), not to 2.5G (even if exists many APs with 5G, but 2.5G is enough for me).

Back to talking about instant mesh: if I connect all APs with cable, I don't need it? Instant mesh is for wireless communication among APs? If this is correct, I don't need it, all my APs will be wired. The only doubt is if can I have a seamless roaming among these APs without insight. If yes, WAX630 is for me, otherwise for my APs I have to look for other options.

(I don't expect a free centralized management. For the 3-4 APs I need, as I said, I can configure each one without many problems.)

Message 6 of 18
schumaku
Guru

With all wired APs, the Instant Mesh thinge is not required.

In my understanding, the normal 802.11v and .11k based seamless roaming part is available for clients using shared secrets (certainly WPA2) using local management - what can't be done is the client based authantication roaming support per 802.11r. 

Message 7 of 18
eugene_d
Aspirant

Hi,

i m in the same situation. I have wired 10Gb route and I need couple of AP to create wi-fi using 802.11k over wiring. And ofcourse If it would be triband 4x4 160Mhz 

did u find any interesting model? 

Thanks in advance

Message 8 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@eugene_d wrote:

And ofcourse If it would be triband 4x4 160Mhz 

What is the "of course" coming from - reading to much consumer wireless router marketing or still dreaming of many Gigabits over the air for one computer?

On one hand you unlikely have many (or any) 802.1ax clients to gain any performance advantage.

On the other hand do you have a need to cover that many (ideally ax capable) clients that you need to have these almost 2000 carriers on air?

Last, with spanning 160 MHz (resp 80+80 MHz bandwidth)  on the limited amount of channels, you kill the ability to have multiple APs in the area or partially covering the same area. Reality today is that it's not even possible to use the 80 MHz bandwidth in partially overlapping WiFi environments. And I have not even talked about legacy APs (11n/11ax) on air at the same time.

There are reasons why there are not many such devices available in the market. 

Message 9 of 18
Giaquo
Tutor

Now I'm trying WAX630, I received it yesterday. I've looked for APs from other brand, and I've found a very expensive AP that I would buy (wifi ax, tri-band, embedded wireless controller, external antennas)... But it's unavailable at all, especially in my country.

I'm using the AP without Insight and it seems very interesting. For now, I can test it with a WAX218 AP, with same SSID, and with my wifi ax devices it seems to work fine.

I'll testing it for a month, and if it's good for me I'll buy another one (or two). I'll tell you my opinion at the end of summer.

Message 10 of 18
eugene_d
Aspirant

schumaku, thanks for explanation .

For me it is still out of understanding, why so expensive devices like rax200/raxe500 which can work in AP mode they dont have support for 802.11k/r/v.

Giaquo, What devices did you find?
Message 11 of 18
eugene_d
Aspirant

@Giaquo 

I bought a WAX630 and gave back my RAX200. And i found 1 issue with WAX 630.

I have 10Gbit internet.

Internal speed check on WAX show me 2000/2300Mbit, that is ok, cause WAX has 2.5Gbit port. And my Mikrotik catch this outgoind/incoming speed.

But when I connect my notebook over cable to WAX and another monbile device connect wirelessly to WAX, and I start speedtest simultaneously on both devices, (but 1st is on wired, 2nd is on wireless) so WAX drop speed for wirelessly connected device till 10Mbit. Wired connected notebook show 1Gbit speed. If i start speed test only on 1 device, so it is ok. wired will show 1Gbit again, and wireless will show 700/700 Mbit. But if I start simultaneously it looks like my WAN only 1Gbit, though my WAN for WAX is 2.5Gbit.

So it looks like WAX can not proceed 2 different types of connection simultaneously.

I created case in support, but

Could you please check on your side the same situaion?

It is ok if no. 

Thanks in advance,

Eugene.

Message 12 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Nothing wrong with the WAX630 - except of this use case.

Check the Insight Managed WiFi 6 AX6000 Tri-band Multi-Gig Access Point Model WAX630 User Manual p.14 ff.

===

LAN 2 port: The LAN 2 port is a Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 port that you can use to
connect the access point to the same switch as the LAN 1 port for a link aggregation
(LAG) connection. The switch must be capable of supporting a LAG connection,
which you must configure on the switch. For more information about setting up and
enabling a LAG on the access point, see Manage the link aggregation capability on
page 135

===

The second LAN port isn't bridged even if the manual says the two ports are not configured to a LAG. Thus it does not make a proper "switch"-like port to connect other devices.

Based on your description, it looks like the (disabled?) LAG isn't properly disabled, and/or the second port isn't properly enabled as a pure bridge port, too. @RaghuHR work for you 8-)   

It could be useful offering the ability to use the second port as a bridge port, for example to connect a printer, a camera o the like near to the AP location.

Message 13 of 18
eugene_d
Aspirant

@schumaku 

WAX has 2 LANs:

LAN1 is 2.5GBit.

LAN2 is 1Gbit.

LAN1 is connected to 10Gbit port of my main router.

And internal speed check shows 2000/2300 Mbit. So it is ok.

Now, LAN2 is connected to MacBook over 1Gbit adapter.

i run speed test only on Macbook it shows me around 920/960 Mbit. So it is ok.

Now I connect iPhone to WAX over Wi-Fi.

I run speed test only on iPhone. It shows me around 700/800Mbit. So it is ok.

Now I run 2 speed test simultaneously: on MacBook and on iPhone.

It shows me that MacBook has 900/920 Mbit and iPhone has only 10 Mbit. So sum of that speed is 1Gbit. Not 2.5Gbit. From my opinion WAX should show 1Gbit on MacBook and 700 Mbit on iPhone. Does not ?

LAG is disabled. in local web panel.

I cant find any other bridgse settings.

thanks.

Message 14 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Leaving alone this isn't on how APs are typically used with one 2.5G or a dual 1G LAG to the infrastructure: It reads to me like the WiFi radios seem to bridging to the wrong Interface or an undefined LAG with a certain distribution policy, where one link does go out to a dead end (the one the Mac is connected), leading to failures and retries ...

And again: The UM does state the purpose and config of the LAN 2 port very clear....

Message 15 of 18
eugene_d
Aspirant

@schumaku Thanks for investigation. So I guess the problem can be solved by update firmware. I hope.

Message 16 of 18
eugene_d
Aspirant

From the interesting part:

1. issue only with simultaneous downloading. Simultaneous sending data are not affected. The speed is very hight.

2. Turning on Spanning Tree Protocol makes wired connection priretized. if it is on: Wired connection has as much as possible speed and wireless dropped to rest. If it is off, both connected divide speed. So both of them has around 500 and 500.

But it is still not 2500Mbit. Though internal speed check show possiblity to fetch with this speed.

Message 17 of 18
AmeliaBelli
Aspirant

I have read the related info about netgear expan their access point range. Netgear has unveiled the latest addition to its range of WiFi 6 access point devices, the AX6000 Tri-band Multi-gig Access Point (WAX630). 

The WAX630 is the fourth part in Netgear's Insight Managed WiFi 6 arrangement of gadgets, which as per the organization is planned explicitly to oblige the requirements of little and medium organizations.

"Regardless of whether it be better in general throughput or quicker speeds for independently associated gadgets, SMBs are continually requesting more from their WiFi organization. The WAX630 conveys industry driving organization execution dependent on its exceptional WiFi 6 12-stream tri-band engineering," said Doug Cheung, Senior Product Line Manager of SMB Wireless at  Netgear.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements