× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Integrating a WAX610Y wifi access point with my existing network

john_harrold
Tutor

Integrating a WAX610Y wifi access point with my existing network

Hello,

I have a RAX120 router and 3 EX8000 extenders in my home. Outside I have an AX1800 (WAX610Y) access point mounted on the side of my house. I've looked through the NetGear Insight app and I can create WiFi networks on the WAX610Y but I cannot figure out how to get it to mesh with my existing network.

Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks

John 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Integrating a WAX610Y wifi access point with my existing network

My understanding of the insight devices is that they mesh with other insight devices. Not the consumer devices. 

I could be wrong on that but you'd get better help by asking on the insight/business wifi forum. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Business-Wireless/bd-p/business-wireless-for-business

Message 2 of 8
john_harrold
Tutor

Thankyou plemans.

Message 3 of 8
john_harrold
Tutor

I'm sorry I accidentally hit reply before I was done :).

I meant to say toankyou but I believe this is in the Business Wireless forum correct?

john_harrold_0-1648309645568.png

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

yes. A mod must have moved it. It was in the consumer router forum. 

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Yes, @plemans is correct. To operate WAC5xx or WAX6xx Insight instant Mesh wireless satellite(s), another WAC5xx or WAX6xx in a wired config must be in reach of the WAX610Y.

The Insight AP offer however full interoperability over all generations, AC, AX, ... so tech updates can be deployed easily without replacing complete network as we know from consumer and business Mesh systems.

Message 6 of 8
john_harrold
Tutor

I see. Thank you both @plemans and @schumaku. Might I trouble the two of you with a few more questions? 

I'm thinking about replacing my older range extenders with similar access points. I have a couple questions.

First would the new access points need to be within wifi range of each other? They will both be plugged directly into the network via ethernet, will they be able to mesh successfully this way?

Second, if I understand the two of you correctly, I should be able to get my current WAX610Y to work with any WAX correct?

Again thanks for helping out here. It's difficult to approach this. 

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

The Mesh term was badly abused by the WiFi consumer industry resp. marketing. Yes, all WAX6xx (and WAC5xx) provide seamless roaming, being if deployed on your switched wired LAN, or added to these as Insight Mesh extender satellite.

Any WAX6xx can be used as a root for any WAX6XX, including your WAX610Y as an extender satellite..

Don't forget that on the dual-radio models one radio is shared for the wireless infrastructure and the AP, obviously limiting the performance to about 50%.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements