× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Just upgraded, but want to level set performance expectations w/AX630, PR60x & MS510TXM

Curtdeezy
Aspirant

Just upgraded, but want to level set performance expectations w/AX630, PR60x & MS510TXM

What performance/speed should I expect with 2Gb internet Xfinity Gateway Xb8, Pr60x Dual WAN router, MS510TXM switch and 4 WAX630 APs with at least 2.5gb port connection going between them?

I recently upgraded to Xfinity two gig Internet. I thought by upgrading the router, switches, and using my existing wireless access points, I’d be getting higher speeds than what I have. Before this upgrade I was using TP link, similar set up, but only gigabit connections and throughput. On client devices I was getting at least 900mb down 300 up and on iPhone >700mb down and 200mb up. After putting all the new equipment in, I’m getting fractions of that.....400 down, 150 up. Going through settings today, but wondering if I’m doing anything wrong or missed a step, before I return it all.  Switch is connected to router over SFP+ 10Gb connection.  Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Re: Just upgraded, but want to level set performance expectations w/AX630, PR60x & MS510TXM

@Curtdeezy wrote:

What performance/speed should I expect with 2Gb internet Xfinity Gateway Xb8, PR60X Dual WAN router, MS510TXM switch and 4 WAX630 APs with at least 2.5gb port connection going between them?

Only one port on the XB8 allows a 2.5GbE LAN link. The other ports are 10/100/1000Mbps. This is not software configuration, this is a physical hardware limitation of those ports. Pick the right port to start with. One of the PR60X WAN ports is a 10G/Multi Gig port, the others are 2.5 Gb. Both ports which can be used for WAN are marked amber. One dedicated 1G/2.5G Ethernet WAN port (WAN1), one 1G/2.5G/5G/10G multi-gigabit port that you can configure as a second WAN port (WAN2) (or a LAN port (LAN5)).

@Curtdeezy wrote:

I recently upgraded to Xfinity two gig Internet. 

Only one 2.5 Gb port with a 2 Gb contract, or two ports with 1 GbE LAN link?

Message 2 of 10
Curtdeezy
Aspirant

Apologies, I could have been more specific. Thanks for the reply! Yep, I’m patched into the 2.5gb port on the Xfinity gateway (port 4 on XB8-T), to the WAN1 port on the Pr60x.
The secondary isp is gigabit and connected to WAN2/LAN4.
Message 3 of 10
Pramendra
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Please change the 5GHz channel width on the AP to 80 MHz if it is on 40 MHz (default setting) and check if you see the improvement. 

On Insight cloud management devices, it can be done by going to Location => Wireless => Advanced => Wireless Settings page.

On the devices running in standalone mode, please go to Management => Configuration => Wireless => Basic => WirelessSettings from AP GUI.

Please make sure that all the APs are assigned non overlapping channels after increasing the channel width. otherwise devices may face co-channel interference resulting in lower throughputs.

Thanks!

Pramendra

Message 4 of 10
Curtdeezy
Aspirant

Excellent, TY for the recommendation, will adjust tomorrow afternoon and report back!

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Pramendra wrote:

Hi,

Please change the 5GHz channel width on the AP to 80 MHz if it is on 40 MHz (default setting) and check if you see the improvement. 

On Insight cloud management devices, it can be done by going to Location => Wireless => Advanced => Wireless Settings page.

On the devices running in standalone mode, please go to Management => Configuration => Wireless => Basic => WirelessSettings from AP GUI.

On the WAX630 and the likes, put it up to either dynamic 20/40/80/160 MHz, or fixed to 160 MHz bandwidth (location permitting).

Message 6 of 10
Curtdeezy
Aspirant

Hi @Pramendra,

I confirmed within Insight that all WAX630's are set to dynamic 20/40/80/160 MHz.  However, no improvement. 

But as a method of troubleshooting, I unplugged the WAN1 (2.5Gb Xfinity connection), and now all my wired devices are now back to connecting at gigabit, and wireless device is >500mb.  So although the PR60x shows up, at 2500 on WAN1, the issue seems to be between WAN1 port and the XB7-T Xfinity Router.  I am going to continue troubleshooting but wanted to share that update.  Next I will try the WAN1 into a non 2.5GB port on the XB7-T Xfinity Gateway.

Any recommendations?  Maybe swap out the gateway and or PR60x?

Message 7 of 10
c3po2
Aspirant

Would you please run a speed test from PR60X?

GUI -> Troubleshoot -> Speed Test -> Test Speed

Insight -> Device -> PR60X -> Troubleshoot -> Speed Test 

Currently, PR60X firmware has an issue with WAN/LAN traffic when WAN/LAN link speed are different.

The data flow from fast link to slow link may have issue, for examples:

WAN1 2.5G

LAN1 1G

LAN2 2.5G

LAN3 2.5G

WAN2 10G

LAN4 10G 

Following traffic may have issue(Depends on device capability)

WAN1 -> LAN1; WAN2 -> LAN1~LAN3; LAN4 -> WAN1

Other traffics from slow port to fast port are OK.

We are going to fix this issue in next firmware release.

If you could not solve the issue by adjust port flow control settings, please open a support ticket with us, we should be able to provide temporary workaround for you to use full bandwidth your ISP and devices provide.

Message 8 of 10
Curtdeezy
Aspirant

Hello,

I decided to return it all since I didn’t get the expected performance.
Message 9 of 10
op3c
Tutor

All three products(WAX630, PR60X, MS510TXM) are great performers, we are sorry that the combination did not perform as expected for you. We will take your case back to QA and make sure they deliver best performance out of box. Thanks for trying our products.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements