× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Move locally configured AP to Insight

ugonzalezh31
Aspirant

Move locally configured AP to Insight

Hi

I have one Wax620 and a Wax610Y, both of them are fully configured according to my network requirements and both of them are locally managed. Is it possible to migrate them to Insight and migrate the local configuration.?? My Insight account is empty, no configurations at all

Thank you

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Pramendra
NETGEAR Expert

Sorry but there is no way to do this. Insight is expected to be central management entity and need to be configured.

Thanks!

Pramendra

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

No way I'm afraid.

Message 2 of 5
Pramendra
NETGEAR Expert

Sorry but there is no way to do this. Insight is expected to be central management entity and need to be configured.

Thanks!

Pramendra

Message 3 of 5
ugonzalezh31
Aspirant

Thank you very much

Message 4 of 5
ugonzalezh31
Aspirant

Hi, Let me reply to myself in case somebody else finds the same issue

Solution/workaround goes this way,
- Go to insight and set all your configuration, include your vlans, your wifis SSID, make sure NOT to forget your management VLAN and untagged vlan if any, make sure all matches your local config, including your admin password if you want to keep the same

- On your dhcp server set a static reservation for your AP or APs using the mac address that comes in the label on the back of the device. For some reason I have been unable to figure out, Insight does not like APs with fixed IP, it wants them to be dhcp assigned, hence the DHCP reservation so you can know which IP your AP will get for sure

- At this point you are ready to join your AP to insigt  if you want the least downtime, then go to insight, add a device, input your serial number and the mac of the devices and  Insight will mark your device as waiting to connect or standalone managed, it will stay in red

- Make sure your AP has internet access and can reach insight. Go to your AP and change management mode to Insight, the device will reboot a couple of times and upgrade firmware if needed, if all goes fine Insight will push the new config to it, and if you did it right it will be the same config so your clients will get a downtime of 10- 15 minutes in the worst case

- You can also use the Insight app do add the AP but in this case you will need to factory reset the AP then scan the QR code and wait for the process to complete if you cannot reset the AP for xyz reason then this process IS NOT for you, if you do it your AP will get stuck trying to join Insight, the process will never end and you will have to probably factory reset your AP regardless

I made this procedure with a wax610, wax610y, and wax620, all of them wired and with 8 vlans, 8 SSIDs, except for the first one when I was figuring things out the rest of the process was painless ...
Expected downtime is 10 -15 minutes per device if all of them are working then you probably can take them down one by one and minimize your down time

Hopping to help somebody else

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements