× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Right power adapter for WAX206

ThoAppelsin
Aspirant

Right power adapter for WAX206

According to the WAX206 manual, it uses 20W of power at max. It’s power adapter, however, delivers 12V @2.5A = up to 30W.

I need to buy a replacement power adapter. It seems as if 12V @2A (yielding up to 24W) should be enough. Should I still look for a 12V @2.5A adapter?

Background: I have bought a WAX206 from amazon.co.jp which naturally came in with a Japanese power adapter. I live in Turkey, we have the same electrical standards as Europe over here. I’m now looking for a proper replacement power adapter.
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

The 12V @2A (yielding up to 24W) should be sufficient.

The reason for the more powerful one delivered is in the product standardisation, not a requirement.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The 12V @2A (yielding up to 24W) should be sufficient.

The reason for the more powerful one delivered is in the product standardisation, not a requirement.
Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Only thing to be cautious of is that I've found many 3rd party power supplies don't deliver their rated voltage. Running to lower of amps can create issues that are hard to diagnose. 

So sometimes, buying one with a little higher power, gives you a little more headroom for their overrating it. 

But not always. So its just something to keep in mind if you're buying the cheaper end of the spectrum. 

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

The Netgear designation for this power supplies matching the wireless access points is PAV12V25, the Euro plug version is the PAV12V25-10000S.
Message 4 of 6
kevinhsu
Tutor

Yes, 2V @2A (up to 24W) should be ok for use.

Message 5 of 6
ThoAppelsin
Aspirant

Thank you everyone.

I’m a bit of obsessive I guess, so I tried to match it as much as I can, regardless. The suggested original replacement is prohibitively expensive for me@Turkey, so I had to make do with what is available here.

I finally found a NETGEAR P030WE120B (2.5A with the right inner diameter for its pin, 2.1mm), and I’m using that one. It’s not exactly the one bundled with the European WAX206, but it was 125TRY = 4.83USD (this is about the price of such power adapters here).

Off-topic, but is there any major difference with this one and the proper replacement? I wanted to believe that it’s just an older model that was being bundled with some older router modems, but I guess it’s not that big of a deal anyway.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements