× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Second AP no connection

daleksic
Follower

Second AP no connection

I just added a WAX610Y to my existing WAX610. Everything is online and connected, however no devices connect to the outdoor AP. I have devices barelly getting a connection on the WAX610 and it seems they refuse to switch over to the closer AP.

I tried Band Steering and it doesn't seem to help. Isn't there a setting where I can set the minimum RSSI before it disconnects from one AP and sends it to the other? Both APs are connected via CAT6 1Gb wired connection. No MESH is setup as the distance is too far to get a good wireless connection.

Message 1 of 3
Doug_Ho
Apprentice

I am not an expert but saw your msg and want to give a quick reply if you are in Local management mode (I don't use Insight but maybe you could find similar there).  It is around page 200 of the manual.  Under Management-Wireless-Advanced look for Load Balancing tab near the top.  Click Enable and then remove the checkmarks from the first two sections (number of clients and channel load).  Under the third section either leave the slider at default (23) or move it to your desired setting.  This is a number with scale 1-50, lower strength is lower value, so clients with strength below 23 would be rejected.  There is also a Sticky Client setting which has to do with moving already connected clients.

I hope that is helpful, I cannot promise how it works but I wanted to point it out (and mention to disable the checkbox for the other two sections if you want it based on signal strength).  Of course you would try that setting on the 610 since it is the one you say clients are connecting to.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

@daleksic wrote:

I just added a WAX610Y to my existing WAX610. 

Tell us a little bit more. How is this (assumable) wired network configured? 

@daleksic wrote:

Everything is online and connected,

As per Insight, and/or based on the WAX dashboard?

@daleksic wrote:

...however no devices connect to the outdoor AP.

Same SSID and security configured on the APs?

@daleksic wrote:

I have devices barelly getting a connection on the WAX610 and it seems they refuse to switch over to the closer AP.

Well, if no device can associate with the WAX610Y it's a little bit much to expect any kind of wireless hand-over or roaming. There must be another explanation.

Are the wireless SSIDs (resp. the BSSIDs/radio MAC) on air and visible? Are the wireless radios turned on at all? If you have access to an Android phone, consider to try the (Netgear) WiFi Analytics (-> Network Status) or WiFi Analyzer, and open the "tree" under the SSID - there you should see the BSSIDs (MAC ID, misleadingly designated Mac ID on the Netgear App). 

If the AP Ethernet MAC is say 94-A6-7E-xx-xx-5F the radio MACs are ending on -4x and-6x when I have it right. Each SSID (or for specific applications there will be additional special "hidden" ones on air) does get a dedicated radio MAC on each radio.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements