× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: Setup

AdMR
Follower

Setup

Hi I'm planning to install wired ethernet connections to 4 rooms in my house.  At each point I need a WAP which also has at least one RJ45 outlet to which I can connect other non-wireless devices e.g. a desktop PC or TV set-top box.

Can I use 4 WAX206 units for this i.e. have one in each location connected via ethernet cable back to my switch (which of course is connected to my modem/router for internet connection).

I'm confused by the installation instructions that seem to suggest I would then have 4 separate WiFi networks - one for each WAX206 unit.  I want a single WiFi network with 4 WAPs; I need this for coverage given my house layout and construction.

The idea is that when I move a mobile device (e.g. phone or tablet) from one part of the house to another I remain connected to the same wireless network no matter which WAP is in range or even if they overlap.

The alternative would be 4 wall-mounted WAPs but the WAX206 can be put on a desktop and seems more flexible and cost-effective for my purpose.  Installing a wall-mounted WAP needs a cavity to be put into the wall which I'd prefer not to do.

Any advice greatly appreciated - thanks.

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@AdMR wrote:

Can I use 4 WAX206 units for this i.e. have one in each location connected via ethernet cable back to my switch (which of course is connected to my modem/router for internet connection).

I'm confused by the installation instructions that seem to suggest I would then have 4 separate WiFi networks - one for each WAX206 unit.  I want a single WiFi network with 4 WAPs; I need this for coverage given my house layout and construction.

Don't know exactly from which detail in the WiFi 6 AX3200 Dual Band Access Point WAX206 Installation Guide this impression is coming from. However, good reading and understanding from your side!

Keep in mind the essential WAX2xx models indeed don't fully support seamless roaming between multiple WAX2xx systems on the same network. It might however work as long as you deploy only a single SSID and use just WPA2-PSK (WPA2-Personal).

And correct, to my knowledge, there are no WAX6xx or WBE7xx supporting an additional LAN connection. Where dual-ports are available on some of the WAX6xx, the usage is limited to port aggregation aka. trunking LAG).

Message 2 of 4
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @AdMR,

Welcome to the Community!

If you want a single SSID on your APs in a single location (network), you may want to look at our Insight Wireless Access Points where you can set up a single SSID in your Insight location where the APs were added to.

For more information, you can check this link.

Kind regards,

BrianL

Message 3 of 4
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

> Won't respond.
> Closing.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies