× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Specific need - FVS318N

coxbuell
Aspirant

Specific need - FVS318N

Hi,

I used a FVS318N on an installation.

THe wifi is not strong enough for our use.

I was wondering if we can simply change an antenna by a stronger one?

If so where can I find this accessory?

If not possible, do you have other suggestions?

This router is associated to a hub, but noone are POE, so we can't use gain antenna plugged RJ45 (unless you know a model with separate alimentation).

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

NC

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Specific need - FVS318N

@coxbuell,

The WNAP320 would be fine.  Be reminded that it supports the 802.11b/g/n wireless standards and that is within the 2.4GHz band.  It also supports the IEEE 802.3af standard (PoE). 

Currently, NETGEAR does not have a PoE injector.  I suggest you to use a PoE switch like the GS105PE or GS110TP. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi coxbuell, 

I'm afraid that the only antenna compatible with the FVS318N are the antennas that it came with it.  Would you be ok with an access point connected to a firewall router or you really need a firewall router that has wireless capability? 

Also, all of the NETGEAR ProSAFE VPN Firewall Routers does not support PoE.  Kindly check the data sheet here.  You will need to have a PoE switch like the GS110TP.  

If ever you want an access point, I suggest you the WND930.  Its internal antennas will give approximately a 1 mile / 0.75 mile wireless range (2.4GHz / 5GHz respectively).  If you will use external antennas, that will give approximately 1500 feet / 1000 feet (2.4GHz / 5GHz respectively) wireless range.  Check the data sheet on the WND930 here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
coxbuell
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

The WND930 looks too big for our needs.

About the POE necessity, without changing all the installation,I may add something like "Netgear Prosafe GS105PE-10000S - 5-Port" to be able to put another antenna.

Do you have something smaller (and cheaper) than the WND930 just to boost a little bit the signal ?

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

NC

Message 3 of 8
coxbuell
Aspirant

Following my reserach, I found this : Netgear WNAP320.

Do you think it will be OK?

Another question. Instead of another Poe hub, is there some POE injector in Netgear material.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

NC

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@coxbuell,

The WNAP320 would be fine.  Be reminded that it supports the 802.11b/g/n wireless standards and that is within the 2.4GHz band.  It also supports the IEEE 802.3af standard (PoE). 

Currently, NETGEAR does not have a PoE injector.  I suggest you to use a PoE switch like the GS105PE or GS110TP. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
coxbuell
Aspirant

Hi,

I jsut received a new GS105PE with the WNAP320, but I realize there is no alimentation and I must plug it on another POE hub which I have not on the installation.

Can you tell me how to do?

NC

Message 6 of 8
coxbuell
Aspirant

Finally, after opening the WNAP320 box, I discover an alimentation meaning I don't need any POE !

NC

Message 7 of 8
adrdop
Aspirant

Sorry,

I'm still on my problem and just see the following item: ANT224D10.

I'm not on site of the FVS318N but if I remember well the 2 antennas can be unscrewed.

So do you think I can replace the 2 native antennas with this one (which was my first though)?

Then I have a better wifi cover which is what I'm looking for.

This solution looks simplest than every other.

Or may I forgot something ?

Thanks for your help.

NC

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements