× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC 510 Multiple SSID lost during scheduled reboots but OK on "Cold Starts"

W4NMH
Aspirant

WAC 510 Multiple SSID lost during scheduled reboots but OK on "Cold Starts"

WAC 510 with Multiple SSID works great, until a Scheduled Reboot occurs.

-Only SSID's created prior to the last two Firmware Updates become Visible on Client Devices.

A "Cold Start" (Remove and re-apply Power) Restored all SSID's

-Has occured upon each scheduled re-boot since JAN 2021.

Did not occur in MARCH 2020 but occures since JAN 2021.

-Has latest Formware

-SSID Schedules Set to "Always On"

+Work Around: Disabled Scheduled Reboots, Perform Physically for now.

Discovered these Errors in the Basic Log:

get_vap_from_sta_mac: [DVLAN] Cannot run sql statement: no such table: DYNAMIC_VLAN_STATS

Model: WAC510 Insight Managed Access Point
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
W4NMH-2
Aspirant

This can be "Marked" as Resolved

1. Not all clients are dual band cable nor all clients 20/40/80 MHZ Capable.

2. Not all clients are N/AN/AC Capable.

I have seperate SSIDs to accomodate different parameters, i.e. Band Steering.

I have created a "2G" Only SSID for this purpose.

I learned that my SSID Monitor, iPhone S6, does not do well with Bandsteering 2G to 5G at 80 MHZ, now using 40 MHZ.

I am also in a "High Density" Urban Enviroment so as not to overlap there are only three non-overlapping 20 MHZ 2G Channels, 1, 3, and 6. -Interference Mitigation.

Set Parameters to 2G 20 MHZ, 5G 40 MHZ to accomodate older Clients.

SSID "2G Only" has Bandsteering Disabled, to accomodate older Clients.

Note: Even on another brand of AP 2G Only a HP 6700 Printer that is only 802.11 b/g capable did not re-aquire on loss of WiFi during re-boot. The Printer required rebooting.

So in some Client instances scheduling the Client Reboot after the AP Reboot maybe necessary, as well as Disabling Band Steering for older Client Devices.

Rich W4NMH

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Can you check if the same issue exists if booting from the previous v9.1.x firmware?

Looks like an issue on the recent v9.2.0.6 or so firmware update @YeZ please forward.

Message 2 of 18
W4NMH
Aspirant

Can you check if the same issue exists if booting from the previous v9.1.x firmware?

Will take significant time since this will disrupt Network Operations.

-Can you perform in the Lab?

Some of the SSID begin with a similiar naming: i.e. Netgear_2G_Only, Netgear_Guest, etc...

Trying unique names may provide another view at this situation but I will need to migrate many devices to the new SSIDs

Message 3 of 18
W4NMH-2
Aspirant

Request an update on your Lab Testing Results.

Unable to bring my network down at this time.

-Ordered an additional unit so we can parrellel operations with minimal disruption.

Message 4 of 18
schumaku
Guru

I'm not Netgear, just yet another customer .... however, I'm just facing a location where I found that not all SSIDs returned to the active config after a cold reboot, the previously active config isn't used (instead the factory default seems to come up initially), and loading the config seems to take longer than expected.

Message 5 of 18
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @W4NMH  @W4NMH-2 

How many SSID you have created before the scheduled reboot?

Could you please share the download the detailed logs from monitoring page and send me link to download ( upload into google drive) via PM. 

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 6 of 18
W4NMH-2
Aspirant

4 SSID, same Default VLAN 1
Message 7 of 18
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@W4NMH-2  please send me the detailed logs. We will check and update our findings.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 8 of 18
W4NMH-2
Aspirant

The Community Forums will NOT allow me to upload files of that type / extention.

Please provide a path to send you the logs.

Thank You

Message 9 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Use some cloud storage and send the link by PM - to much security relevant information inside.
Message 10 of 18
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @W4NMH 

Thanks for sharing the logs. We saw you have enabled SSID scheduling. Issue may not be due to scheduled reboot. Could you please disable SSID scheduling and see if it works? This is just to isolate your issue. 

-Raghu

Message 11 of 18
W4NMH-2
Aspirant

Yes I could, however, ALL are set to Always ON accept one "Guest" is on an actucal schedule.

Setting to Disabled as Requested.

I bought an additional unit so I can start "Lab Testing" settings.

Message 12 of 18
W4NMH-2
Aspirant

I think it has more to do with their being more than 4 SSIDs; the unit sets a mandatory Beacon Interval, which I believe to be 300 ms and some Clients are timing out at that high of a Beacon Interval. After a Cold Start they intial Beacon conects the Clients and the 300 ms seems to hold them but for some reason a Scheduled Warm Boot is not.

I have reduced the SSID's to 3 and ALL SSIDs are "Always On".

BTW the Gues ID was the only SSID on a Schedule and had no Clients at the Reboot time.

Sincerely,

Rich Davis W4NMH

Message 13 of 18
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @W4NMH 

Thank you for additional info. For more clarity few more details are required. Hope you can answer for these.
1. Are you facing issues related to scanning  the SSID or you are not able to connect to a particular SSID?
2. Is this behavior specific to any particular client or particular SSID/band (2.4GHz or 5GHz)?
3. From the logs we can see there are four SSIDs configured and the beacon interval is configured as 100ms. But it is mentioned as more than four SSID and 300ms interval in the recent comment. Are you facing this only after creating the fifth SSID?
4. Are you still facing the issue even after disabling SSID scheduling?
5. Is manual reboot resolving the scan/connection issue?

Have a nice day and happy weekend !

Raghu

Message 14 of 18
W4NMH-2
Aspirant

Hope you can answer for these.
1. Are you facing issues related to scanning  the SSID or you are not able to connect to a particular SSID? SSID Not Visible for up to 15-20 Minutes after Warm Boot.
2. Is this behavior specific to any particular client or particular SSID/band (2.4GHz or 5GHz)?

-Only Noticed on 2G so far but intend to Lab Test 5G as well.
3. From the logs we can see there are four SSIDs configured and the beacon interval is configured as 100ms. But it is mentioned as more than four SSID and 300ms interval in the recent comment. Are you facing this only after creating the fifth SSID?

-Warm Booted vs Scheduled Warm Boot last night shows it occurs also with 4 SSID.
4. Are you still facing the issue even after disabling SSID scheduling? YES, Always ON
5. Is manual reboot resolving the scan/connection issue? A Manual Cold-Start allows the Client Devices to Connect Instantanously.

Message 15 of 18
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

We tried to reproduce the issue with  your configuration. And we are unable to hit the issue on our setup.
From the attached logs we can see clients are connected on both the radios(With an uptime of 22 mins)
And the VAP is also UP within 2 minutes of uptime and did not go to the downstate.
[ 95.332552] brtrunk: port 3(wifi0vap0) entered forwarding state

1. Kindly attach the detailed logs when the issue is observed and without the issue and mention the steps followed?
2. Whether the SSID's are broadcasting after 15-20 mins without manual reboot?
4. Is the issue 100% consistent after every scheduled reboot with or without SSID scheduling?

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 16 of 18
W4NMH-2
Aspirant

I tried to reproduce the issue with my configuration. And learned a few things I would like to share.

I learned that my SSID Monitor, iPhone S6, does not do well with Bandsteering 2G to 5G at 80 MHZ, now using 40 MHZ.

I am also in a "High Density" Urban Enviroment so as not to overlap there are only three non-overlapping 20 MHZ 2G Channels, 1, 3, and 6. -Interference Mitigation.

We set our Parameters to 2G 20 MHZ, 5G 40 MHZ.

One SSID "2G Only" has Disabled Bandsteering.

I think this has resolved the issue, atleast testing with Manual "Warm Boots."

-Scheduled Reboots will be tested next.

Note: Even on another brand of AP 2G Only a HP 6700 Printer that is only 802.11 b/g capable did not re-aquire on loss of WiFi during re-boot. The Printer required rebooting.

So in some Client instances scheduling the Client Reboot after the AP Reboot maybe necessary, as well as Disabling Band Steering for older Client Devices.

Rich W4NMH

Message 17 of 18
W4NMH-2
Aspirant

This can be "Marked" as Resolved

Set Parameters to 2G 20 MHZ, 5G 40 MHZ to accomodate older Clients.

SSID "2G Only" has Bandsteering Disabled, to accomodate older Clients.

Rich W4NMH

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements