× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAC120 to connect my hardwired ethernet printer to my AT&T GSM wifi hotspot?

kellertech
Aspirant

WAC120 to connect my hardwired ethernet printer to my AT&T GSM wifi hotspot?

1. I have a WAC120 

2. I have a Xerox multifunction printer/scanner.  It does not have built-in WiFi but it has a hardwired ethernet port.

3. I have an AT&T GSM WiFi hotspot device acting as a DHCP router and internet gateway within a small office.  It does not have an ethernet port.  The two employees wirelessly connect to the AT&T device with their laptops for internet access.  

Question:  Can I plug the Xerox into the WAC120 with an ethernet cable and then configure the WAC120 to bridge the Xerox to the AT&T?  If so, how (the manual lacks a lot of detail needed to do this if indeed it is possible)?

Model: WAC120|SOHO 802.11ac Gigabit Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

Re: WAC120 to connect my hardwired ethernet printer to my AT&T GSM wifi hotspot?

It is like WDS setup.

In page 45, there is a way shown in PDF file to put  Network name ("profile name") and "network authentication" password.

So

Step 1) First create the same SSID and password profile as on the AP (in this case your ATT hotspot) on WAC120 also.

Step 2) In the  bridge mode config page, enable client, choose the profile that is already configured. (it will be seen in list of profiles avaiable)

Step 3) keep the mac clone disabled.

mac clone :  for your application, you can just keep it disabled.

Here is old article that kind of gives you some idea on where the mac clone  feature can help. But for the example you have shared, it may not be needed.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086/~/no-internet-with-new-router---mac-spoofing?cid=...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, it should work. if distance is not far, it is better to use 11AC (5Ghz) radio as the wireless link between your hotspot and 120 (assuming the ATT device supports 5Ghz radio).

Please check

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WAC120/WAC120_RM_19Aug14.pdf

Page 46

Message 2 of 6
thcheng
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Note that from the user manual, on page 47, you should select the CLIENT option (3rd option on the right) and connect your printer to the Ethernet port of the WAC120.  Before printing, make sure that from the client, you can ping the IP address of the printer.  The WAC120 acts as a bridge, so it should forward the DHCP client request from the printer to the DHCP server to get an IP address.  Alternatively, you can set a static IP address (on the same subnet as the client) for the printer.

Good luck and please reply if you are successful.

cheers,

Thomas

Message 3 of 6
kellertech
Aspirant

Wow... thanks for jumping on this.  So, I have read the manual in advance of posting on here, and don't understand a few things.

1. If I start at page46, and follow steps 1-9, I am not sure what to do at Step 8 (MAC Clone).  It says to turn on MAC clone feature, but then says "if you do..." and asks for a "MAC clone" address.  I have no idea what to do here. 

2. It appears to me that a bunch of setup steps are missing from the instruction, specifically related to how I would go about associating the WAC120 with the AT&T router.  By this, I mean: "how do i tell the WAC120 to get on my AT&T hotspot wifi LAN, authenticate agaist it with a password, get assigned an IP address from the hotspot DHCP server, etc.".  It's as if those steps should appear before Step #1 in the"Client Mode" setup on page 46.   Am I missing something?  🙂

Message 4 of 6
nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

It is like WDS setup.

In page 45, there is a way shown in PDF file to put  Network name ("profile name") and "network authentication" password.

So

Step 1) First create the same SSID and password profile as on the AP (in this case your ATT hotspot) on WAC120 also.

Step 2) In the  bridge mode config page, enable client, choose the profile that is already configured. (it will be seen in list of profiles avaiable)

Step 3) keep the mac clone disabled.

mac clone :  for your application, you can just keep it disabled.

Here is old article that kind of gives you some idea on where the mac clone  feature can help. But for the example you have shared, it may not be needed.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086/~/no-internet-with-new-router---mac-spoofing?cid=...

Message 5 of 6
kellertech
Aspirant

I tried this out by connecting my laptop via hardwired Ethernet to WAC120

and then associating the WAC120 with a friend's WiFi router... gotta turn on DHCP Client option in the WAC120 but works great. 

Looking forward to getting my printer configured.  

Thanks everyone!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements