× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.

Re: WAX206 won't update firmware .

minndog
Initiate

WAX206 won't update firmware .

Installed WAX206 as Access point. It has V1.0.3.0 firmware, tried to update to V1.0.4.0. It will not install that update. I get a MD5 Verify error every time I try to update. Chat line had some suggestions but not answers. Anyone have a solution to the update problem?  

Thanks 

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

What did you try doing? 

Tough to give you answers without knowing what all you tried. 

Did you try manually downloading it and updating? 

did you try doing it on other devices?

Message 2 of 10
kevinhsu
Tutor

I tried WAX206 upgrade in AP mode and Router Mode its working fine.

Login in GUI and see 1.0.3.0 we are getting “A new firmware available” if I click and proceed Device upgrading successfully to latest firmware V1.0.4.0

Did you try manually downloading it and updating?

Message 3 of 10
flgt
Aspirant

Having similar issues with my WAX206.  Was able to manually upgrade the main FW to v1.0.4 using a file downloaded from the Netgear website but was not able to do it directly form the router configuration web page.  Even after updating the main firmware the router reports my GUI language version is out of date.  Odd thing is that the current version and new version are both reported to be v1.0.0.26.  If I try to move forward with the update I also get the "MD5 Verify Error".

When connected to the configuration web page I get a prompt directing me to the HTTPS site.  But the secure site reports certificate errors.  Not sure if this is related.

Message 4 of 10
minndog
Initiate

Netgear support was TERRIBLE, told me the solution was to default the configuration, then update, then change it back to AP config.

Worst support person I have dealt with in years. At the end of the call, he told me to wait 10 minutes, if the issue didn't clear, call them back. He refused to talk with me any further at that point and refused to transfer me to another agent.

I returned it. I don't have time to waste on hold waiting for an agent that had no solution.

Forgot to mention, I am a former Network Engineer and have installed many, many modems.

Message 5 of 10
flgt
Aspirant

The WAX206 looks like a dud.  The FW is only half done.  Which is baffling because they have plenty of routers/AP's with the exact same configuration web page design with twice as many features.

Message 6 of 10
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @flgt,

Did using another PC /or web browser helped? If the Firmware has an issue, it should have been removed in our support site. i suggest that you report this to our support team and tell them what you've done so this can be looked at.

Kind regards,

BrianL

Message 7 of 10
drewcompute
Aspirant

Bought this AP for bridging function. The firmware it came with, 1.0.1.5, does not support this. I downloaded the 1.0.4.0 firmware to my computer, connected the computer to ETH1, and tried to upload the new firmware. When I clicked the upload button, I received a login screen instead of the warning pop-up described in the manual. I logged back in and the old firmware was still showing. I tried rebooting the AP, but that didn't help. I then connected the AP to my internet router and tried downloading the firmware directly from the website. It said no new firmware was available. I don't know where the device looks for new firmware versions, but if you go directly to the download web page, no info for the WAX206 shows up. You have to go to the product support page to get the firmware.

Message 8 of 10
drewcompute
Aspirant

Update: I resigned myself to having two different wireless networks (one without internet connection), so I disconnected the AP from the internet router, reset it, and set it up as its own network. I then connected wirelessly into it with the same computer I used before connected to ETH1. When connected wirelessly, I was able to upload the firmware. Doesn't make sense to me, but it worked.

Message 9 of 10
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @drewcompute,

Thanks for sharing the workaround that you did. Normally, we do not encounter such issues with updating the Firmware of the device specifically this one whether it's manual upload or through the internet (automatic update) and whether it's connected to an existing router /or network or not. 

Kind regards,

BrianL

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements