Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router Model C7000v2 Bandwidth Capped

Fynnish
Tutor

AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router Model C7000v2 Bandwidth Capped

Hello, in an attempt to fix issue's I was having over about 2 weeks of my internet connecting poorly (I would maintain "some" connection but it would frequently be drastically a downgrade from the service I should receive, for instance I would be connected to a chat on the application Discord and I can hear others within the chat fine but my connection wouldn't allow any response) I decided to reach out to my ISP and was met with a roadblock, they were unable to help me with over the phone, but we deduced that pinging to my modem at the time was working fine through the cable. I figured since I wanted to upgrade to my own modem/router anyways I would invest in my own to see if the solution was that the modem was erroring and so I transitioned from my ISP's Altice provided modem/router to the above "AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router Model C7000v2" and since transitioning the connection seems much more stable but is capped at approximately 20-21 mbps instead of what I use to get with the Altice modem of approximately 200, which is what I pay for. I've ran speed tests over the past few days attempting to see if it fluctuates, but it's been very steady on download with ~21 mbps and 2 mbps on upload, which was also much higher. I scoured around to see possible fixes and mentions of new firmware potentially being the problem, but there doesn't seem to be a capability to roll back the firmware on this model and doesn't even provide QoS. Any suggestions? A technician from my ISP came out this morning and checked the connection, and also swapped the ends of the cable lines with new ends to keep them clean and attempt to problem solve on that front, the connection ended being the same right after the service reconnected to the modem and I ran the speed test.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, if your not seeing 200 with the modem in modem mode only, then the modem isn't working right. 

You can try the ISP again and have them check the line with while your speed testing with it in modem only mode and see if they notice anything. 

You can contact NG support to see if there is any RMA options available to you. 

@vkdelta 

I would get another modem combo to try or you might migrate to a modem only unit and get you a external router to go with it. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 14
Fynnish
Tutor

In terms of having the ISP check up to the modem, it seems they had no problems what so ever. When I called previously I didn't ask what size of bandwidth is making it the modem but I don't believe they'd be able to see anything less that what it should be, although I'm uncertain how this process works. I don't think I can check for any splitters on the line but if they are there it hadn't hindered the upload and download on the previous Altice modem they provided before. The reason I likely can't check is that I live in an apartment currently, also meaning there is several neighbors with wifi connections. My friend just below me in the next unit has his wifi on and I'm able to connect to the internet via his service just fine. I believe is also using my ISP, Suddenlink, but I'm not certain. Previously he had Centurylink, but I remember he was having issues and stopped with them.

Just to update as well, I rebooted the router completely and it's still capping at approx. 21 mbps upload with a steady flatline when it reaches that. 

Message 3 of 14
JeffJ84
Aspirant

Having the same exact problem with my c7000 v2. I have a plan of up to 600mbps. I'm currently getting a max of 80 through ethernet and 40 wifi. It's terrible. Comcast says everything is good on their end. Netgear support has been no help at all. So I'm paying for this great speed and not even getting 20% of the speed I should be getting. Very frustrating.
Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You maybe in a wifi congested area if you live in a apt complex:

he reason I likely can't check is that I live in an apartment currently, also meaning there is several neighbors with wifi connections. My friend just below me in the next unit has his wifi on and I'm able to connect to the internet via his service just fine.

Can you turn down the power output of the wifi radios under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings?

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@Fynnish wrote:

In terms of having the ISP check up to the modem, it seems they had no problems what so ever. When I called previously I didn't ask what size of bandwidth is making it the modem but I don't believe they'd be able to see anything less that what it should be, although I'm uncertain how this process works. I don't think I can check for any splitters on the line but if they are there it hadn't hindered the upload and download on the previous Altice modem they provided before. The reason I likely can't check is that I live in an apartment currently, also meaning there is several neighbors with wifi connections. My friend just below me in the next unit has his wifi on and I'm able to connect to the internet via his service just fine. I believe is also using my ISP, Suddenlink, but I'm not certain. Previously he had Centurylink, but I remember he was having issues and stopped with them.

Just to update as well, I rebooted the router completely and it's still capping at approx. 21 mbps upload with a steady flatline when it reaches that. 

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? Then test with a wired PC? Be sure your PCs network wired adapter supports 1000Mpbs connection rate. 

@JeffJ84 wrote:
Having the same exact problem with my c7000 v2. I have a plan of up to 600mbps. I'm currently getting a max of 80 through ethernet and 40 wifi. It's terrible. Comcast says everything is good on their end. Netgear support has been no help at all. So I'm paying for this great speed and not even getting 20% of the speed I should be getting. Very frustrating.

Message 6 of 14
JeffJ84
Aspirant

Yes to everything. I appreciate the suggestion tho. More help than I've had anywhere else.
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this and see if the speed increases, set the modem for modem only mode. Log into the modems web page and find under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings a feature called Router mode or NAT mode. Leave your one wired PC connected to the modem while you try this. Disconnect ALL other wired devices from the modem. Set the mode to disable router or NAT mode. Apply the change. The modem will reboot and after a couple of minutes your PC should have internet access. Use Ooklas installable speed test app and run a speed test with the modem and the PC. I would disable any PC security temporarily while speed testing. Security apps can hinder accurate speed results. 

Let us know if you get to spec speeds or same slow speed. IF the speed is slow, I would presume the modem is bad and needs replaced. 

@JeffJ84 wrote:
Yes to everything. I appreciate the suggestion tho. More help than I've had anywhere else.

Message 8 of 14
JeffJ84
Aspirant

I haven't been able to get home and do what you said yet but I just talked to a comcast tech and he said the max wifi I can get over 2.4ghz is 60..... I've never heard this before. I feel like he is lieing l. Anybody else hear of this?
Message 9 of 14
Fynnish
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try this and see if the speed increases, set the modem for modem only mode. Log into the modems web page and find under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings a feature called Router mode or NAT mode. Leave your one wired PC connected to the modem while you try this. Disconnect ALL other wired devices from the modem. Set the mode to disable router or NAT mode. Apply the change. The modem will reboot and after a couple of minutes your PC should have internet access. Use Ooklas installable speed test app and run a speed test with the modem and the PC. I would disable any PC security temporarily while speed testing. Security apps can hinder accurate speed results. 

Hey, so I tried this and it's still capped at 21-22 mbps download and ~2 upload. So you suspect the modem isn't functioning properly? I can't imagine my ISP is capping my bandwidth, they made it "seem" from my several interactions that when they diagnosed it the connection was just fine. Also, what you mentioned about the wifi being congested due to other wifi traffic is likely true, but it's not just wireless connection issues. I have my PC hardwired via ethernet to the modem/router (now in modem only) and it is definitely not pushing to 200 mbps or anything close. Even the Windows Task Manager network performance chart displays a flatline at ~22 mbps. 

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Wireless-with-2-4ghz/td-p/1913302/jump-to/firs...

Thank you. 

@JeffJ84 wrote:
I haven't been able to get home and do what you said yet but I just talked to a comcast tech and he said the max wifi I can get over 2.4ghz is 60..... I've never heard this before. I feel like he is lieing l. Anybody else hear of this?

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, if your not seeing 200 with the modem in modem mode only, then the modem isn't working right. 

You can try the ISP again and have them check the line with while your speed testing with it in modem only mode and see if they notice anything. 

You can contact NG support to see if there is any RMA options available to you. 

@vkdelta 

I would get another modem combo to try or you might migrate to a modem only unit and get you a external router to go with it. 

Message 12 of 14
Fynnish
Tutor

Given that I got the new router/modem as a potential upgrade so I didn't have to use my ISP's provided one and I'm moving soon, I just swapped back to what they provided till I'm heading out and plan on returning the C7000v2. Thanks for the reply, shame the apparent solution is to just get rid of it.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seesm faulty. I would try a different modem and a stand alone modem like NGs CM1000 or 1100. Then connect a external wifi router. 

Good Luck. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series