Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have Netgear CM1150v which has never given upstream speeds over 18 mbps for contract 20mbps

BMDk11
Tutor

I have Netgear CM1150v which has never given upstream speeds over 18 mbps for contract 20mbps

I have Netgear CM1150v which has never given upstream speeds over 18 mbps for contracted speed of 20 mbps. Recently Xfinity upgraded the upload speed to 100 mbps and I am still getting 11 mbps. The issue was referred to Netgear support with event logs and channel power levels. They suggested T3 errors and so Xfinity technician was scheduled to check it. Technician checked everything and in the end checked the speed from the cable where it connects to the modem. Upload speed capability was over 400 mbps and download over 2000 mbps. Still Netgear CM 1150v refuses to give these speeds. Xfinity technician then showed only 4 upstream channels are being locked (which support only 22 mbps) and used in the modem. Xfinily has a fifth channel open for upload that supports over 400 mbps that the techniciam showed on his tool. Can Netgear lock and use this channel or is this cable modem useless for getting better upload speeds? This is a DOCSIS3.1 cable modem and poor upstream speeds are disappointing. Any suggestions for resolution?

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I have Netgear CM1150v which has never given upstream speeds over 18 mbps for contract 20mbps

Message 2 of 12
Kitsap
Master

Re: I have Netgear CM1150v which has never given upstream speeds over 18 mbps for contract 20mbps

@BMDk11 wrote:

I have Netgear CM1150v which has never given upstream speeds over 18 mbps for contracted speed of 20 mbps. Recently Xfinity upgraded the upload speed to 100 mbps and I am still getting 11 mbps. The issue was referred to Netgear support with event logs and channel power levels. They suggested T3 errors and so Xfinity technician was scheduled to check it. Technician checked everything and in the end checked the speed from the cable where it connects to the modem. Upload speed capability was over 400 mbps and download over 2000 mbps. Still Netgear CM 1150v refuses to give these speeds. Xfinity technician then showed only 4 upstream channels are being locked (which support only 22 mbps) and used in the modem. Xfinily has a fifth channel open for upload that supports over 400 mbps that the techniciam showed on his tool. Can Netgear lock and use this channel or is this cable modem useless for getting better upload speeds? This is a DOCSIS3.1 cable modem and poor upstream speeds are disappointing. Any suggestions for resolution?

Your CM1150v is not on the Xfinity list of customer owned modems that is compatible with their upgraded Next Gen speed tiers.

Some good background information from Xfinity is available here: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/wiki/knowledgebase/next-generation-internet/

Message 3 of 12
BMDk11
Tutor

Thanks for the Xfinity approved modem list. I have the list and will change the modem. But my question is about why this DOCSIS 3.1 modem cannot support that speed. I bought a DOCSIS3.1 with better speeds so I didn’t have to upgrade for 5 years but looks like promise of DOCSIS 3.1 capability was not true and money went waste. If it cannot support the speeds then stop selling it.
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The CM1000 and 1100 series only supports up to 1Gb due to the WAN Ports are maxed out at 1000Mpbs. Nothing beyond that. Most ISP support a 1Gb speed tier. However CC and XF last year started a mid split in there new speed tiers that they set up for 800Mpbs and a 1.2Gb speed on the down side. No idea why they couldn't keep the 1Gb tier however probably best way for them to support the higher 1.2Gb speeds they started pushing. Yes this also caused problems on the user or user owned modem side of things and the 1Gb supporing modems could not get the full 1Gb speeds anymore and had to fall back to 800Mpbs for those 1Gb supporting modems as 1.2Gb was not achievable by these modems. This is only seen with CC/XF ISP. My ISP Sparklight still has a 1Gb speed tier service. No idea if or when they will push that beyond.

So you have an option to ask the ISP for the lower speed 800 tier which this modem would be supporting of, or get in to a newer CM2000 series or wait for the awaited CM3000 series modems that have WAN ports that start at 2.5Gb connection rated speeds and then you could get the 1.2Gb or higher speeds that seem to be coming out by the ISP. No idea if or when the CM3000 will be officially released to market. NG doesn't publish that info. So you'll need to wait for find another brand that suites your needs. 

Message 5 of 12
Kitsap
Master

@BMDk11 wrote:
Thanks for the Xfinity approved modem list. I have the list and will change the modem. But my question is about why this DOCSIS 3.1 modem cannot support that speed. I bought a DOCSIS3.1 with better speeds so I didn’t have to upgrade for 5 years but looks like promise of DOCSIS 3.1 capability was not true and money went waste. If it cannot support the speeds then stop selling it.

Keep in mind that list is not a final product and is subject to change at the end of any given month.

The combination of ISP network system, modem hardware, and modem firmware have to work together to deliver an end product to your local network.  There are lots of combinations and I am sure some posturing to emphasize certain combinations to enhance revenue.  Some combinations may get left out.  Thus the constant push to rent you an ISP modem/router.

Message 6 of 12
BMDk11
Tutor

I can get 1 gb download. My question is about poor upload speed why limit only to 20 mbps upload for a DOCSIS3.1 modem?
Message 7 of 12
Kitsap
Master

@BMDk11 wrote:
I can get 1 gb download. My question is about poor upload speed why limit only to 20 mbps upload for a DOCSIS3.1 modem?

It is not the DOCSIS 3.1 modem hardware that is limiting your upload speed.  It is the firmware that is running on the hardware not allowing connections to the OFDMA upstream channels on the mid-split frequencies.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post snippets of the cable connection and event logs pages so we can review them. 

@BMDk11 wrote:

Message 9 of 12
BMDk11
Tutor

Replaced CM1150v with Hitron Coda for just $85 and am getting over 119 mbps upload speeds. Netgear either needs to provide latest FW to support their products as advertised as DOCSIS3.1 or stop selling them. Total waste of money on this overpriced CM1150v

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Will need to see screen captures of the CM modem online for the cable connections and event logs before we can claim the modem or modem FW is the problem. And FW thats on the modem as well.  

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI:

CM1100 and CM1150V are on low-split and that's why the upload speed are on the low side. However, the higher upload speed is only available on the Comcast mid-split environment (about 1/4 Comcast areas). CM1100 is still supported up to 800mbps tier in Comcast

@BMDk11 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7