Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N450 cable modem live parental controls take a long time to apply

cllewis1
Aspirant

N450 cable modem live parental controls take a long time to apply

I have the CG3000dv2 connected to comcast xfinity 300mbps service. Works great.  Running firmware 3.01.22 (checked with comcast and they say this is the latest version they can push to it.) Just bought it last week.  Prior to that I had an Arris cable modem, connected to a netgear n300 router. Main reason for upgrading was that the old modem had only a 100mbps LAN port on it, so it could not support the 300mbps service I have. With the old router I used OpenDNS to do basic internet filtering for my family. Relatively small network, around 20 devices including a few IoT devices.  

So when I got the new modem I first tried to set up OpenDNS similarly to how I had it setup with the old router, setting the 2 OpenDNS DNS server IP's as the ones I wanted to use. I quickly found, though, that this didn't work so well because the modem is handing out IPv6 addresses as well as IPv4 addresses, so any device with IPv6 enabled is sending DNS requests through an IPv6 DNS server. If I disable IPv6 on a device, then DNS requests all get routed over IPv4 and then OpenDNS's filtering works as expected.  But, I would rather not have to change the configuration on my devices...rather I would like the modem/router to take care of it for me.

So, I decided to learn more about the built-in parental controls in the modem/router.  I was pleased to learn that with the Netgear Genie app I can turn on live parental controls (LPC) and LPC uses OpenDNS.  I switched the settings in the modem back to using ISP provided DNS, and then turned on LPC...and nothing happened.  Several hours later, I found that in fact my DNS requests were being routed to OpenDNS and that I could modify filtering settings in the Genie app or at netgear.opendns.com.  This is with IPv6 enabled on my computers.  Since then, though, I have had a couple of power interruptions and found that when this happens, LPC stops working for a time.  

As I have dug more into it, I have found that when LPC is working properly, if I do an ipconfig/all on my PC, the only DNS server listed is my cable modem's IP address (which is 10.0.0.254.)  I use the 10.0.0.x range for my IP structure for a couple of reasons but if I need to change that, I can...it's only break a couple of things which I have the knowledge to fix.  

What I have found is that when LPC quits working after a power interruption, I have 2 IPv6 DNS addresses listed when I do an ipconfig/all: 2620:0:ccc::2 and 2620:0:ccd::2, as well as 10.0.0.254. These 2 IPv6 addresses are in fact OpenDNS's public, unfiltered IPv6 addresses.  OpenDNS has 2 IPv6 recursive addresses which point back to their filtered service, but I can't find any way to hard code those. 

If I turn LPC completely off in Genie, then my DNS servers are 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76, which are Comcast's DNS servers, along with a couple of comcast IPv6 DNS server addresses, which is what I would expect.  

As soon as I turn LPC on, then my DNS servers change to include the 2 IPv6 OpenDNS servers mentioned above along with 10.0.0.254.  

Then, I can come back some hours later, and the only DNS server listed is 10.0.0.254 when I do my ipconfig/all. So it's like something is happening in the modem/router to kill the IPv6 DNS server setting, but it take time for this to kick in.  

I'm satisfied with what OpenDNS is able to do in terms of filtering and protection - we monitor the kids' use of the internet closely and this is just kind of a first layer of protection.  But I need it to work consistently, either by using OpenDNS home (though to do this I need to get the modem/router to stop handing out IPv6 addresses) or using LPC...but I need LPC to stay on if I'm going to use it. 

Anyone else ever run into this?  Can you tell me how to get LPC working consistently?

Model: CG3000D|DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: N450 cable modem live parental controls take a long time to apply

Connect this modem to a UPS. 

Message 2 of 3
cllewis1
Aspirant

Re: N450 cable modem live parental controls take a long time to apply

Fair enough, I am looking in that direction...to me it's just more the principle of the thing...what is up with the delay it its working?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7