Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear C6300 wifi not working with samsung galaxy s7 edge and regular s7

surround
Star

Netgear C6300 wifi not working with samsung galaxy s7 edge and regular s7

I have s7 edge and regular s7. I have 200mbps with time warner and have the netgear c6300. It won't connect properly to app store, youtube, oculus store etc. The iphones in my house work perfectly, as do my computers and laptops. The s7 phones work fine on other wifi connections, just not at home. Help!

Message 1 of 46

Accepted Solutions
Kiva
Initiate

Samsung recently released a software update and now I'm able to watch YouTube videos and update my apps on the Google play store. I got my phone from T-Mobile so idk if the other phone companies have released the update yet. I hope this is a permanent fix to the problems and not a temporary one like the fixes I found here. I don't have the money to buy another router and I've just been waiting for the WiFi problem to get fixed so I can use my phone at home.

View solution in original post

Message 40 of 46

All Replies
Stevereno
Initiate

I am having the same problem with my Galaxy S7 and Netgear C6300 with Comcast/Xfinity service. The phone connects to the Wifi but no internet service. Our Galaxy S4 and LG G3 phones worked fine.

Message 2 of 46
Klt3505
Star

I have the same issue and even got a replacement phone and it had the same issue. Can connect on public wifi, any other wifi, and twc with a different router, but not using netgear c6300. No other devices have an issue. I can surf the Web bUT can't use oculus or Google play.
Message 3 of 46
surround
Star

Yup, still having same problems, no google play store, oculus store etc. Are we going to get a solution?

Message 4 of 46
Klt3505
Star

I have contacted Samsung, TWC and Netgear with no luck.  If I have to replace this router, that is not even 6 months old, I will replace it with another brand.

Message 5 of 46
fauschak
Initiate

Same here: Samsung S7 edge, Netgear C6300, Time Warner.

This is a paste of the message I've posted in "androidcentral"

Same exact situation in my case.
S7 edge, Time Warner, Netgear c6300.
I can see YouTube videos on Chrome browser or Firefox, but I cannot see videos on YouTub app.
At the office's WiFi, YouTube app works without problems.

Apps that do not work:

YouTube
Netflix
Google Store
Google Newstand

Apps that work:

Gmail
Inbox
Email
Browsers
Bunch of financial applications (Chase, Bofa, Venmo, Mint)

I rebooted the router, I've changed the type of WiFi security(I haven't tried no security, yet).
I rebooted the phone many times.
I deleted the WiFi connection on the phone and re-added it.
I removed updates and new applications and reloaded them.
I deleted cache contents, forced stop and restarted.
All other phones and laptops work fast and flawlessly.

I'm thinking on hooking up some Lan Analyzer to check the TCP/UDP traffic, but I hope someone finds out the answer sooner...

I'm also thinking on trying a VPN to see if hiding the content of the packet has some effect.

I hope that Time Warner is not throttling traffic.

Could the applications for Samsung 7 with Android Marshmallow we the cause of the problem?

So many questions...

Message 6 of 46
fauschak
Initiate

Well... I found a solution, but it's not pretty.

I've tried by replacing the Netgear C3600 (which I bought and own) with TimeWarner's Ubee DDW36C (leased at 10 $/mo for router and 5$/mo for WiFi -- can you believe it?!)

Now everything's work exactly as expected.

YouTube, Netflix, Google Store, Google Inbox, BeyondPod, ...

What could be wrong with the Netgear C3600?

Ugh!

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 7 of 46
tryagen2
Tutor

I have windows 10 os with a C6300 cable modem router. The Firmware Version of the router is v1.02.19. I am not quite certain but I believe the netgear genie version is 2.4.26. I also have a problem with the wifi not working mainly when I try to go to the play store and download apps, and keeping my apps updated. I have problems connecting to the Occulus store and downloading.

I have been working around the problem by turning off the wifi and using the 4G network to download apps and to keep my apps updated. This can be costly if you are on a limited data plan.This is not the solution to the wifi problem.

I, also checked at my routerlogin and noticed that the security that was set on the routerlogin page was different than the security code that was being used for the samsung s7 edge connection to the router.

this could be why we are not connecting to the router.

Message 8 of 46
Klt3505
Star

I found a work around.

Click advanced tab

Click advanced setup on left and select wireless settings

On wireless access card click setup list

Check box that says Turn Access Control On

Make sure the radio button is lit for allow list

Click add

When the new window comes up clcik the radio button by the device (you will have to locate it in your phone by the mac address)

Click add and then when the screen refreshes click apply.

A message will pop up that the WPS will be disabled click yes.

I was then able to access everything!

Message 9 of 46
surround
Star

How does netgear not have an answer for these problems. Multiple people having the same problems. We shouldn't have to use a work around. This is ridiculous. 

Message 10 of 46
Stevereno
Initiate

I took the Galaxy S7 to the Verizon store and they could not make it work right on their wifi either, so they are going to replace the phone. But I have to wait a week until they get more in stock.

Message 11 of 46
tryagen2
Tutor

In reply to KIt3505, the wireless card list approach did not work for me, I tried the steps 3x and lost my connection each time. I purchased my phone from the samsung kiosk at bestbuy. It worked fine when they set it up there. When I got home I immediately started having download problems when I connected it to my network. I also noticed that the security code that the S7 edge did not match the WPA2 PSK that my network has. I wish that I had wrote it down it looked nothing like the WPA2. I took the phone back the very next day, again the samsung associate at the bestbuy showed me that it was downloading fine on ddifferent Networks. You only have 14 days to decide before returning the phone. I went pass the time limit.

At&t is my Network carrier, I can not use the My at&t app to connect to there network. I get an error L354 message telling me that there is a connection problem. I took the phone to the AT&T store and the salesman had no problem connecting to the AT&T Network and downloading apps from the google play store.

I also discovered that if I go to my routerlogin screen and go to my wireless page, and change my security settings from WPA2 PSK to the open security settings button and apply those settings I have to reconnect to the router. But, when I go to the play store on the phone some of the apps at the play store are visible and I am able to download them using wifi. That is why I know that it is a "Security" problem between the S7 edge and the netgear c6300. 

Time Warner Cable is my internet service provider they suggested that the c6300 was compatible to there system. They need to push an security upgrade to the router, or the Netgear manufactures should upgrade the firmware to the latest available security. AT&T may have some responsibility, but, Stevereno mentioned he had Verizon as his carrier. We are in the dark on this issue. I know that with all the hacking of networks and buisnesses, I am not above resonable compensation to maintain up to date security.  

Message 12 of 46
Klt3505
Star

My work around worked for less than a day and I am back to not being able to download from Occulus or google play.  I am so frustrated.   I dont want to change too much with the router since my phone is the only one with an issue and no security is not an option.  I dont want to spend another $190 on a router when this was only purchased in October and  I am now stuck with a phone I cant do the stuff with that I wanted to at home (occulus vr).  Engineers from Netgear and Samsung need to figure this out and get us a fix. Picked the phone up Friday when it was released and spent the entire weekend trying to figure it out.  Took it to verizon, they couldnt figure it out and said to call verizon tech support.  Did that and they had no idea so they contacted Samsung tech support who said to take it to the Samsung experience store in Best Buy to have something done.  Took it there and they said that the phone was too new so there was no fix and to exchange it.  Took it back to Target and got a new phone.  Get it home and same problem.  Samsung has known about the issue because I created a ticket on it within days of getting the phone.  Next option is to take it to the Samsung service center in Hurst.  But if the problem is that it cant connect to my router for the google play/occulus but it can everywhere that is not using the router, will they be able to help?  I just want This $300 piece of technology to be able to be used.

Message 13 of 46
surround
Star

I definitely echo your sentiments. How have we not gotten a solid fix for this problem? Is anyone listening?

Message 14 of 46
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone

The engineers are aware of issues with Samsung galaxy devices and are investigating the issues to find the root cause to provide a fix.

DarrenM

Message 15 of 46
MinsMini
Tutor

I’ve had constant problems since I got my "1st " Samsung Galaxy S 7 Edge.  I spend almost 3 hours the 1st night trying to transfer everything from my old phone to the new one.   It would show and recognize my wi-fi but “no connectivity “ or “no internet connection” would pop up.  A Verizon rep had me try several things.  The only way we could do anything was to take it off wi-fi and only use mobile data.  After a day of several hours on the phone with Verizon, Time Warner and rebooting my router several times and a trip to the Verizon store.  I had Verizon order me another phone.  “2nd” phone exact same problems. Again, I called Verizon, Time Warner and rebooted my router.  After several hours on the phone and another trip to Verizon, no one seemed to know what else to do.  Verizon suggested I call Samsung support.  Samsung wanted me to do all the same things that Verizon already had me do on the 1st phone and again on the 2nd one.  At that point they said I could send the phone off to Samsung for “repair” which would take 10-14 days to receive it back.  I felt I should Not have to send a new $792 phone off to repair.  I called Verizon back and told them to order me another phone.  I have to say, Verizon has been great.  Every rep and tech has been putting notes on my account on all my calls and all the things that they had me do to try fixing the problem.  Now, on my “3rd” phone, Yes, same problems!  The same day I received it, I called Verizon and they said customer service couldn’t order me my “4th” phone but their tech department could or I could go into the Verizon store to turn in that phone and get a new one.  The Verizon rep was putting notes on my account to not charge me a restocking fee or any other extra charges.  I went to the Verizon store intending on turning in my 3rd phone and getting a 4th one.  Then my son found this site and these posts.  I sat in front of the store reading these posts and found the post about a work around.  Went home to try it.  It worked, for a day.  Back to the same wi-fi problems.  Keeps saying I don’t have an internet connection, can’t download apps, can’t sign in on my yahoo email.  I tried to do the work a around again on my Netgear on line, now it doesn’t work at all.  The only way to do anything on my phone when I’m home is to use my mobile data and use my data up.  Obviously sending my phone to Samsung for repair wouldn’t work because they would say it’s fine and just send it back to me and I Still wouldn’t be able to use the wi-fi at home.  I did check and my Netgear C6300 has the latest firmware.   Netgear, Samsung come on…….fix the problem, come up with an update ASAP!!!!!!!!

Message 16 of 46
surround
Star

Yeah, i don't think its the phone. I've used my galaxy s7 edge on other wifi routers with no problem. It has to be a problem with the c6300. 

Message 17 of 46
MinsMini
Tutor

I agree, I've used it at a couple others as well. I can't trust it to be using my wi-first instead of my data. At home I keep mobile data off.
Message 18 of 46
tryagen2
Tutor

It is nice to see that DarrenM a moderator and the engineers at Netgear are looking into this problem. I hope that a solution can be found.
Message 19 of 46
surround
Star

Seeing as how there are so many Galaxy phones out there, I hope the fix comes soon.

Message 20 of 46
Klt3505
Star

From other message boards Samsung has had this issue with other phones and devices as well.  I have never purchased tech the day it was released and against my better judgement I did it with this phone and am seriously regretting my decision.  It looks like my only option is to replace the router with something else.  Supposedly if you disable the IPV6 on the router will fix the issue but this option does not seem to be available.  I have scoured the manual, device interface and nothing about being able to actually do it.  Anyone able to tell us if we can disable the IPV6 on the C6300 router or not?

Message 21 of 46
snuphiluphigus
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat and waiting for an answer. Here is the background of what I have tried and with whom I have worked. Again, phone works on C6300 router for all applications and services excluding Google Play Services.

Time Warner Cable: C6300, V1.02.19 (only supported firmware version)

Verizon: Samsung Galaxy S6 (SM-G920V) with April 2, 2016 6.0.1 update (hmmm, this is when it stopped working)

Set 2.4Ghz wireless network to open (no security) with the access control allowed for my phones MAC: No success

Set 2.4Ghz wireless network to different security configurations, i.e. WEP, WPA2, TKIP & AES: No success

Set port forwarding for both TCP/UDP port 5228: No success

Spoke with Time Warner network technician to ensure they weren't blocking TCP/UDP port 5228

Disabled and cleared cache of Google Play Services, Download Manager, Google Play Store: No success

Reset phone to factory and started over: Works great on other wireless networks just not with the C6300.

Spoke with Verizion Customer Service: You already know I didn't get anywhere with them.

Not going to waste my money talking with Netgear.

Conclusion: There is a security association issue with the 6.0.1 phone software and the current Netgear router firmware V1.02.19 or possibly some routing issue like IPV6 that is causing it to loop or not forward. Either way, only the bubbas with the access will be able to test and resolve this issue. If not resolved within 30 days, I will contact Netgear for a refund/replacement since I am still within warranty.

Message 22 of 46
Jaixe
Aspirant

Thank you. You're the first person I've seen who found a solution to this problem. It's certainly not perfect, but it beats connecting to other networks. 

Just a couple of points which make this weirder and something Netgear really should deal with (btw, I don't think I'll ever buy netgear again...I'm appalled they won't even talk to you for free after 90 days, that's absolutely pathetic customer service).

1) Guest networks, I found, were able to access the google store, etc. where the internal ones would not. So if you don't like the wireless access list idea, you can add a guest network and connect to it while you need to download.

2) On the wireless access list, make sure to include EVERY wireless item you want because otherwise they won't be able to connect through this method (all must be included in the list).

Message 23 of 46
tryagen2
Tutor

I was able to go to the play store and Myatt app for the very 1st time since I've had the S7 edge and download apps using wifi. MyATT app connects me directly to my account. This took place this morning.

I then find out that there is a software update for the S7 edge to be downloaded from the ATT Network. I downloaded the software and updated the phone as well as all of the apps, which the software does automatically. As soon as the phone updated I lost the ability to go to the play store and download any more apps. I also can no longer use the MYAT&T app. This tells me that the AT&T Network was open and connected to my phone long enough for me to get the software update using wifi. This gave me a brief time to be connected to the play store and have other apps that were not working, function like they should using wifi.

I will guess that the only people that are having problems with there S7 phones connecting to the play store and certain other apps are people who own their cable modem routers, or there own networks. Such as the Netgear community. It looks as if we are being forced to pay for a higher data plan, or rejoin Time Warner cable, AT&T, Verizon, and use their equipment which is subpar but you will be connected to their Network and have access to the playstore and other apps that are giving you problems. Either way it will cost a monthly bill determined on how much data you will be using. Of course with you having access to wifi then occulus will be less expensive.

I would like to see what the engineers at netgear come up with to help fix what the Time Warner Cable people call us commercial users, a solution to this problem. It looks as if this may effect their sales of their superior product in the future.

Message 24 of 46
snuphiluphigus
Aspirant

I was able to setup a guest network with no security, hidden SSID, and turned on network security so only my phone is using this network and I am now able to connect to Google Play Services. Kudos to whoever found this work around. 

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7