Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear CM700, Spectrum 100 Mbps, Overkill ?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear CM700, Spectrum 100 Mbps, Overkill ?

I'm looking to buy a Netgear (NG) CM700 (Spectrum recommend modem for 400 Mbps) and NG Orbi RBK50 router.

I have the Sectrum (FL) 100Mbps plan. I know the NG CM 700 will not increase my speed.

Will useing the CM700 just be overkill or should I just get the NG CM400 (Spectrum recommend for 100 Mbps ?

Money not the issue, trying to put together a very good system and future proof.

CM700 = 32 x Downstream Channels,8 x Upstream Channels

CM400 =  8x4 Channel

Model: CM700|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear CM700, Spectrum 100 Mbps, Overkill ?

I've found benefit with having more channels available in congested areas. Basically gives you some fall back if they've over sold the area. 

I've a friend who was using a cm500 with 150mbps. constantly had slow downs or higher latency (even with good signals) because they'd oversold that service area. Upgraded to docsis 3.1 (the area had that option) and hasn't had trouble since. 

So it basically depends on your area and ISP. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I'm always a fan of over planning when it comes to stuff like this. I'd definitly go the cm700. In a 4 year span, i went from 100mbps service to 1gig service for around the same price. Calling in each year potentially means faster speeds for the same price or cheaper prices for the same speed. Either way, I'd go for a more robust router.  

I'd even potenially look at the cm1000 if you plan on gigabit service at all. 

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Sorry meant more robust modem. The reason I mention the cm1000 is its docsis 3.1 versus just 3.0

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, plemans!

Do you think that without improving the Mbps speed the CM700 may have other enhancements to improve the the overall performance when combined with the Orbi RBK50 router.

Model: CM700|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0
Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

I've found benefit with having more channels available in congested areas. Basically gives you some fall back if they've over sold the area. 

I've a friend who was using a cm500 with 150mbps. constantly had slow downs or higher latency (even with good signals) because they'd oversold that service area. Upgraded to docsis 3.1 (the area had that option) and hasn't had trouble since. 

So it basically depends on your area and ISP. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7