× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: M1 (MR1100) needs battery to update firmware

UK-based
Luminary

M1 (MR1100) needs battery to update firmware

My suspicions expressed at the end of this post seem to be confirmed - apparently you currently need a battery installed in the M1 in order to update its firmware. If this is correct, it's a big problem for people running their M1 solely on the mains charger, especially if the M1 is in a remote, difficult-to-access location. I believe the firmware needs to be changed so that if the M1 is being run without a battery, using a sufficiently powerful mains charger (see the link in the next paragraph) then firmware auto-upgrades should be allowed to proceed. If you agree with this proposal, please hit the Kudos button - it may draw attention to this post.

I'm using my Nighthawk M1 (MR1100) without its battery, powered only by an upgraded mains charger for 24/7 internet access at home. This morning I found I had no internet connection and the LED on the M1 was flashing orange rapidly but dully. I decided just to turn off the power, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on. This probably wasn't a good idea - it would have been better to try to shut it down by holding the M1's power button in until it shut itself down "gracefully" - I guess I could have "bricked" the M1 if it had been in the middle of a firmware update. Anyway, after powering back up, thankfully the LCD screen then displayed a progress bar and a message similar to "Updating - do not power off". The progress bar moved fairly rapidly but when it reached 100%, the LCD screen went blank and the orange LED started flashing rapidly again. I'd noticed previously that in the web-based interface under Settings > Adminstration > Firmware Update, there was an advisory note saying "Software Update unavailable when battery level is below 20%", so I suspected that running the M1 without a battery might cause issues when it tried to auto-update the firmware. I inserted the battery (already charged to around 70%) without turning off the mains charger and the LCD screen again displayed the progress bar with the warning not to power off. This time, the progress bar didn't move smoothly to 100%, it jumped in stages and each time the LCD screen went blank for a while. When it reached 100%, the M1 appeared to reboot, possibly more than once, but eventually the normal LCD display returned and the LED was flashing blue as ususal. When I checked the web-based interface, there was a message stating that the software had been updated successfully. Prior to the update, my M1 was on firmware version NTG9X50C_10.20.05.00. It's now on NTG9X50C_10.22.03.00, which has a build date of 22nd Nov 2017. I'm in the UK and my provider is EE - it's possible that the firmware version numbers differ from country to country.

I've no idea what has changed in this firmware version - on a quick glance through the interface, I don't see any new options so I guess the changes were bug fixes. Unfortunately, there's no new option to stop the Ethernet port going to sleep when running on the mains charger without a battery. However, this feature wasn't promised until Feb.

It would be very useful if Netgear published a firmware update history on their site, even though they are not providing the firmware itself for downloading. At least we could then see what had changed. If you agree with me on this point, I ask you again to hit the Kudos button. Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Is that web management->diagnostics->RS-SINR value updating or is it still 0 dBm ?

Message 2 of 16
UK-based
Luminary

@TeeJay74- RS-SINR is still reading a constant 0 dBm in the updated firmware (NTG9X50C_10.22.03.00).

Message 3 of 16
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Netgear developers,

Please do not forget to correct this, people want to see RS-SINR updating, because that signal value is so important. Fixing this SW bug seems to take unusually long time. Is there some difficulties to fix it ? As RS-SINR is displayed with AT-commands why not get it displayed properly in web management ?

Message 4 of 16
UK-based
Luminary

@TeeJay74: It would be better to start a separate thread requesting Netgear developers to fix this RS-SINR display "bug" - they might not see it under this thread.

Message 5 of 16
MicW
Luminary

What is the new firmware version number? Mine hasn't seen any new firmware for months.

Message 6 of 16
MicW
Luminary

Ignore the above, I just missed it ><

Message 7 of 16
DangerMouseUK
Aspirant

Guys are we still on : NTG9X50C_10.22.03.00 or is there a newer version ?

Mine keeps randomly rebooting on this firmware thanks.

Message 8 of 16
MicW
Luminary

@DangerMouseUKI just installed version NTG9X50C_10.25.01.00 last week here in Australia. It may be different in other countries.

Message 9 of 16
winger13
Guide

Why would a change log NOT be provided???
Message 10 of 16
UK-based
Luminary

@DangerMouseUK: I'm in the UK with carrier EE and my M1 is still on NTG9X50C_10.22.03.00. I'm running it without battery on an upgraded QC 3.0 mains charger and a heat sink on top with the battery compartment cover removed to keep the temperature down. Current temperature is 35 degrees and it's been connected for 12 days without reboot. It's connected to a Gb Ethernet switch, which has 2 access points attached. What's your setup?

Message 11 of 16
BeAuMaN
Tutor

@winger13

No clue... I called up AT&T with the issues I was having. They didn't even have the replacement batteries for the MR1100s in stock, as running the device full time with the battery installed will eventually leave the battery in a condition of permanently discharged (As in, it cannot be recharged). Happened to me on two devices in a row, so I called them up to ask for batteries... I was able to talk some shop with the AT&T CSR, and they have nothing setup to support these devices really. No firmware, no batteries... no particular special training (Why would they? AT&T has enough devices to support as-is, on top of network issues). I did mention a lot of the issues that this has and he said he'd be taking it up to his boss to let him know what we're running into, but I wouldn't expect firmware notes anytime soon. AT&T isn't a company known for its transparency... that and the problem of this being treated like yet another cell phone when this is really a networking device. Automatic OTA firmware updates and lack of changelog is not acceptable for this kind of device just because it happens to be a cellular device.

Quite frankly this arrangement that Netgear has setup with the Cellular Service Providers is a bit baffling. Pretty sure it's not AT&T engineers who are generating these firmware. Maybe they have input on it, but they're not doing all the work on these firmware patches. I'm not sure if Netgear did this arrangement to reduce the core price that the Cellular Service Provider has to pay by not having to deal with any returns related to it, but either way, this arrangement is pretty bad, and I think it reflects poorly on Netgear, even if it is the Cellular Service Provider who made an agreement and didn't follow up on the support requirements. I also let Netgear know that AT&T doesn't have any MR1100 batteries in stock too, so hopefully that'll have been rectified by now, or will be rectified soon.

Message 12 of 16
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi everyone,

My internal team are working on a new firmware at the moment. It will be release to everyone when they are finish.

Please be patient.

As for buying a new battery for the M1, we do not sell the battery separately. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. There are users on here that posted in the community with an alternate option. :]

- Jason N

Message 13 of 16
BeAuMaN
Tutor

@JasonN

Thanks for the update, though I still stand by my opnion that the Service Providers are ill suited at the job they've been assigned in this relationship.

So, a bit of a clarification: The issue wasn't that AT&T didn't have the replacement batteries in stock, but that they didn't have them in their system at all. I contacted AT&T about a replacement, and the very helpful CSR said they would pass information along. I then also contacted Netgear about this issue to hope that having two people on each side tryign to resolve this would work. This was 3/7/2018.

As I was writing this reply, I though I should check again with AT&T, and I'm happy to report that AT&T does have the battery in stock now. They're going to ship me a new battery under warranty coverage, and it will take 8-10 business days to arrive. While this doesn't solve the other numerous issues with the device, at the very least AT&T can supply new batteries for it to customers.

Message 14 of 16
winger13
Guide

@JasonNwrote:

Hi everyone,

My internal team are working on a new firmware at the moment. It will be release to everyone when they are finish.

Please be patient.

As for buying a new battery for the M1, we do not sell the battery separately. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. There are users on here that posted in the community with an alternate option. :]

- Jason N

I could not find it, what alternate option are you referring to?

Message 15 of 16
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi BeAuMaN,

Great! I'm glad that you were able to get a replacement from AT&T! :]

- Jason N

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation