× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M5 (MR5200) Uplink speed starts Fast then drops to 2Mbps

TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

Nighthawk M5 (MR5200) Uplink speed starts Fast then drops to 2Mbps

I am getting frustrated now, because I have now taken out an EE contract to use since I have 5G in my area with them and not with three...

I have noticed that yes the device starts fine 60-108Mbps down and 4-10Mbps Up

But! and a big But! After a short period of time the Uplink Drops to 2 Mbps and when that limit is reached, The device becomes bottlenecked!

Please fix!  I have an Unlimited data plan on 3 and EE and both have no caps on speed on their unlimited plans!

Message 1 of 12
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

Since posting My speed has dropped from 10Mbps Uplink to 0.5-2Mbps, and because I'm trying to Backup (using Uplink), the downlink speed is suffering

TmacTradingLtd_0-1681664273653.png

Message 2 of 12
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

I suspect what is happening is the Cell(s) the router is connected to are getting saturated and the router is not actively checking the surrounding cells to see if there is more bandwidth available and therefor not switching. Instead what I have to do is either turn the data off and on, or reboot the router.  This is unacceptable.

Message 3 of 12
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Could you please help to capture a model.json file and send PM to me?

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

John

Message 4 of 12
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Could you please set the device to LTE ALL in Band Region to see whether the UL drop issue goes away?

Thanks
John

Message 5 of 12
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

Thanks.
I have just tried this now and same thing is happening on LTE All bands.

Message 6 of 12
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for the quick test. We released a new update for the device recently. Could you please try upgrade to it and test again.

After you upgrade, please do a factory reset and see whether the issue still happens. 

If this is still reproducible, we need to capture some logs to further checking.

Thanks

John

Message 7 of 12
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

I am on the latest firmware.

TmacTradingLtd_0-1681775954872.png

I have another question in regards to Port Forwarding.  I have port 4445 forwarded to my raspberry pi.  I can't however remote in via my public IP... so what's the point of port forwarding if remote connections can't get in through the public IP, Cant even access the router's page remotely?

I'm a bit hesitant to factory reset, as the web UI and Mobile app don't like my passwords and putting in the passwords on the device is really a pain

Message 8 of 12
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Yes. Now you are on the latest. But the FW on your log showed the previous FW version.

As for remote access to the network behind the device, usually carrier prevents such access due to security reason. I know some of the NA carriers provide a special VPN service to business customers with fixed IP and remote access with extra costs.

Thanks

John

Message 9 of 12
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

Thanks.  May I suggest that the password validation for the wifi password on the Web UI has the "No special Characters or spaces" rule removed.

I was able to put the password in without spaces on the Web UI and then use the mobile app to update the password to have spaces?
I will continue testing later

Message 10 of 12
TmacTradingLtd
Apprentice

Unfortunately the Up link speed dropped again

Message 11 of 12
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Please confirmed this happened after you changed the APN authentication type as suggested in PM.

Please also try at another location to see whether the issue follows. I am checking what type of logs we can get to help debugging the issue.

When you tested at other location, please help to capture another model.json file and send PM to me.

At your current location, you connected to the following bands: B3 + n1.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7