× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6500 Dropping internet

sbrady4
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6110 Dropping internet

Update: It says it stayed connected all night for 18+ hours, and is still working wired with PC, router set on 100Base-T. My speeds are slow though <10Mbps, supposedly on 5g. I am in a weak area - but it shows 3bars and 5G though. Disabled wired connection and got 33Mbps on its wifi. I'm going to turn back on 1000Base-T and see what happens. Update: when I did, the speed went up to 33 like wifi. Let's see if it can stay connected now... It already has been over 3 minutes, which was previous record.

Message 26 of 69
sbrady4
Tutor

Update 7/9/23: This replacement MR6110 has stayed online 1 day and 20 hours, so the device (with firmware version NTGX65_10.04.22.00) itself is stable compared to the previous one (was NTGX65_10.01.47.00) that I returned to AT&T. 

I have been losing connection on my computer when I set the MR6110 LAN port to 1Gps (1000Base-T). Windows troubleshooter can repair it, but it happens again in several minutes. When I set it to 100Base-T it does not lose connection to the router, and has been very good. (I've been using the web interface to make the changes & monitor online time.) 

I was having some slow speeds yesterday (<10Mbps), but now am getting 93.3/5.3Mbps on speedtest, so I am happy with that.

I ordered the external antenna, and will set it up in the final location next weekend. I think with the LAN port set on 100 I'll be good to go. Thanks for your help with the first device.

Message 27 of 69
cyphonex
Aspirant

Hi,

I bought M6 pro that does intermittent freeze and reset. Send the unit back to Testra for investigation and were given a brand new replacement. The new unit again does the same freeze and reboot. Found this community post and hope to request for help. How should I proceed?

Message 28 of 69
sbrady4
Tutor

OK, so I set up the replacement device at the remote house with antenna. It seemed to work OK / fast for a while, but I have been having very slow speeds again, below 10Mbps, and upload below 1Mbps. It's almost unusable. I tried IP passthrough mode and it got  faster for a while, but is slow again now. It seems hot to the touch. It said 56 degrees C, but now says 48. I'm using LAN port at 100 speed, because it drops connection to Router & Computer with 1000 speed.

I'm hoping I have time to send this replacement back to AT&T.

I'm going to check with JPeng again with Json to see if there's anything else to try.

Message 29 of 69
Kwhite
Aspirant

Any updates?  I just bought the MR6500 with the same issue.  When it's connected it's fast, but it constantly loses internet. 

Message 30 of 69
sbrady4
Tutor

Mine was technically not losing internet, but was losing lan connection with my devices. In the info panel it would show that it had stayed connected throughout all my agony.
I switched it to 100 Base -T for a while. I tried using the M6 as the router and had my router as access point, but that didn’t work either. I tried IP pass through using my router as dhcp. I turned NAT off on my router and caused myself lots of pain, but finally got NAT back on, and both assigning dhcp, and it’s seemingly working. The M6 is 192.168.1.1, but my lan router made itself 192.168.0.1. I think before they were both on the 1.x subnet, and maybe that was part of the problem. Jpeng said there is a newer update, but I have to wait for AT&T to roll it out. Good luck. I guess I will keep it, it’s my only option unless I go starlink RV.
Message 31 of 69
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@sbrady4 wrote:
Mine was technically not losing internet, but was losing lan connection with my devices. In the info panel it would show that it had stayed connected throughout all my agony.
I switched it to 100 Base -T for a while. I tried using the M6 as the router and had my router as access point, but that didn’t work either. I tried IP pass through using my router as dhcp. I turned NAT off on my router and caused myself lots of pain, but finally got NAT back on, and both assigning dhcp, and it’s seemingly working. The M6 is 192.168.1.1, but my lan router made itself 192.168.0.1. I think before they were both on the 1.x subnet, and maybe that was part of the problem. Jpeng said there is a newer update, but I have to wait for AT&T to roll it out. Good luck. I guess I will keep it, it’s my only option unless I go starlink RV.

When you set up a router to work with M6, please make sure they are not on the same subnet. As you mentioned, MR6500 is using 192.168.1.1 as gateway, your router needs to use a different one, such as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.10.1, etc.

If you still see Ethernet data stability issue, you can open a new thread. We can track the case separately.

Thanks

Message 32 of 69
Rose90
Initiate

I am having issues with disconnection. I emailed you my capture.
Message 33 of 69
Subpar77
Aspirant

We are also having this issue with disconnects. Device shows it's still connected with full bars but internet connectivity cuts out completely. The device is connected via Ethernet to a sonicwall tz370w with port speed set at 100mbps, in IP Passtrough mode. I found that leaving the port on auto-negotiate causes the port to disconnect and reconnect periodically, as it changes speeds.

We've tried connecting directly to a PC (no ip-passthrough), using the devices WiFi, different Ethernet cables, etc. While in some scenarios it seems to take longer for the disconnect, it still occurs. Unfortunately for our application we require it to connect to the sonicwall.

This disconnect happens about 4 to 5 times a day during business hours, and every night. The personnel there have to reboot the device every time in order to get connectivity back.

ATT is refusing support of the product, claiming it's now under NetGear. NetGear is doing the same thing, throwing us back to ATT. Our support case is #47543967 for reference.

Message 34 of 69
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Subpar77 wrote:

We are also having this issue with disconnects. Device shows it's still connected with full bars but internet connectivity cuts out completely. The device is connected via Ethernet to a sonicwall tz370w with port speed set at 100mbps, in IP Passtrough mode. I found that leaving the port on auto-negotiate causes the port to disconnect and reconnect periodically, as it changes speeds.

We've tried connecting directly to a PC (no ip-passthrough), using the devices WiFi, different Ethernet cables, etc. While in some scenarios it seems to take longer for the disconnect, it still occurs. Unfortunately for our application we require it to connect to the sonicwall.

This disconnect happens about 4 to 5 times a day during business hours, and every night. The personnel there have to reboot the device every time in order to get connectivity back.

ATT is refusing support of the product, claiming it's now under NetGear. NetGear is doing the same thing, throwing us back to ATT. Our support case is #47543967 for reference.

Could you please send me a model.json to my email jopeng@netgear.com. Please mention your community ID in the email.

Thanks

John

Message 35 of 69
Dpxmed
Aspirant

Same issues. 6550 works great when its reatarted but it will eventually drop to less than 10 Mbps down and .8 Mbps up. Restart and its back to 100 down load and arounf 15 up, but it usually doesnt last long. At&t doesnt have any updates.
Message 36 of 69
Dpxmed
Aspirant

Sorry, meant 6500
Message 37 of 69
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Dpxmed wrote:
Sorry, meant 6500

Please email your model.json file to me at jopeng@netgear.com and mention your community ID.

You can capture 2 logs, one when the device has faster speed and one when the device has slow speed.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Thanks

Message 38 of 69
majoma62
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk M6 MR6110 Dropping internet

Hi John,

I am having similar issues as well. Our Nighthawk M6 MR6110 drops off Internet speed every week. Goes from 200Mbps down to around 5Mbps. Rebooting the M6 fixes the problem. Firmware version is NTGX65_12.01.22.00 which is the latest firmware version available. I have obtained the JSON files for both slow and fast speeds for you to see so I will email these to you.

Thanks 

Mark 

Message 39 of 69
Xop0
Guide

It seems to me that only a few people a year buy their mobile model. So they just don't care.

Message 40 of 69
Dpxmed
Aspirant

I noticed that even with a stationary outdoor mimo antenna, that speeds can get very erratic. Seems that i will get decent download (over 30-120) and upload from 5-12 sometimes and then the upload drops to less than 1. Att is switching bands contantly on the M6 through out the day and always seems to land on one with less than 1mbps upload, its frustrating and slow. I looked around and there are some work arounds for locking bands, but havent tried anything yet.
Message 41 of 69
dcb-aus
Aspirant

I seem to be having the exact same issue as everyone else in this thread.  This was intermittent before the most recent Telstra-pushed firmware update but since then it can happen several times a day.

The download speed will crash anywhere from 10Mbs to 70Mbs whilst the upload speed will remain at 90-110Mbs.  Restart the modem and downloads will return to 200Mbs and uploads remain the same.  Then anywhere from 10min to several hours later the downloads will crash again (whilst uploads remain constant). 

Restarting the modem will fix the download issue 99% of the time, but is super frustrating to be doing this constantly.  Changing settings, going to ethernet only, wifi access only, ip-passthrough on/off, no battery, performance mode all make zero discernable difference.  I even have a 120mm USB fan rigged up to blow over it on off chance it was due to throttling from a heating issue.

Multiple "side-by-side" comparison with a 5g iPhone on the same data network (wifi off obvs) and the MR6500 will always show the iPhone at 5g speeds when the MR6500 is experiencing the crippled download speeds.

Firmware:

NTGX65_12.01.22.00

Build date:

2023/05/15

Hardware version:

Can anyone help?  Is there an actual solution?  The fact that the upload speeds is 100% of the time never crippled must be meaningful(?)

Does the new MR7000 fix this? spending money is favorable over dealing with the frustration day in/day out.

Message 42 of 69
Xop0
Guide

My 6pro loses connection to 5G approximately every two hours, it says that it is searching for a network. I suspect that this is due to overheating (operating on a 2.4 hertz battery for 2 phones), only a reboot helps. The device simply cannot be relied upon. More than 2 months have passed since the purchase, but a one-year warranty should solve such problems? Are there any people who have version 6 working without any complaints?

Message 43 of 69
Rose90
Initiate

I called AT&T about it and since it was overheating it was a safety issue. They sent me a different refurbished unit and I haven’t had any problems. I sent the overhearing unit back to them since I purchased it through them.
Message 44 of 69
JoeRubin
Aspirant

I have an AT&T Nighthawk Wi-Fi MR6500. As of this past Friday it will not connect to the network. Tells me the network is disconnected. Spent 2hrs at an ATT&T store and 4hrs on tech support with AT&T,  we factory rest it, replaced the SIM card and can not get the box to connect. I use this card for work where I travel all over. This internet box was over $500 in the AT&T store. Since it’s 19 months old they will not replace it as defective as the factory warrant is expired. 

I don’t know what to do get get this card working again. I can’t afford another $500 Wi-Fi there has to be a reason why on Thursday it worked fine and Friday it stopped.

Message 45 of 69
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@JoeRubin wrote:

I have an AT&T Nighthawk Wi-Fi MR6500. As of this past Friday it will not connect to the network. Tells me the network is disconnected. Spent 2hrs at an ATT&T store and 4hrs on tech support with AT&T,  we factory rest it, replaced the SIM card and can not get the box to connect. I use this card for work where I travel all over. This internet box was over $500 in the AT&T store. Since it’s 19 months old they will not replace it as defective as the factory warrant is expired. 

I don’t know what to do get get this card working again. I can’t afford another $500 Wi-Fi there has to be a reason why on Thursday it worked fine and Friday it stopped.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Could you please send me a model.json to my email at jopeng@netgear.com

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

I will help you on this.

Thanks

Message 46 of 69
Pope78
Aspirant

Hi @JohnPeng 

The same problems. I send you an email with the model.json file. I hope you can help me.

Thank you

Message 47 of 69
Trickyslick40
Aspirant

Mine is having same issues as well I receive 50 notifications from insight daily due to dropped connection device has excellent signal. This is my second device first device would eat SIM cards. FirstNet network
Message 48 of 69
jdrch
Apprentice

@JohnPengSame problem here with the unlocked MR6550 on Verizon. I called Verizon and they said the SIM card was completely activated with no issues. I have opened up a ticket with NETGEAR support, Case Number 48164926. I submitted screenshots as well as the model.json file to the ticket. Other information:

• PRI: 04.11
  • Firmware version: NTGX65_12.01.47.00

Symptoms: the hotspot constantly loses internet connection (shows Mobile Broadband Disconnected or a red in the Network Map square) despite having full bars of service. An iPhone SE 3rd Generation and Samsung Galaxy Note9 in the same location and on the same network have no connectivity issues.

I refuse to run the Ethernet port at a slower speed, as gigabit Ethernet from a hotspot is the entire reason paid almost 1000 USD for the unit. I'm really disappointed, but I'll happy return this and the matching NETGEAR antenna if there's no resolution.

One idea I haven't seen in the thread so far: what AC adapter are people experiencing this problem using? The reason I'm asking is if the hotspot uses a proprietary charging protocol, then it could be losing connection due not getting enough power.

Message 49 of 69
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@jdrch Please capture a model.json file and email me at jopeng@netgear.com.

For Verizon disconnection issue, most likely it is related to Verizon data plans. If you use the Verizon SIM card from a phone, you may see the issue. I can set your device to update to the next MR release candidate. Then we can work from there. I helped a few Verizon customers to resolve the issue. I will provide the details by email.

You can also check the following community case.

Solved: Netgear M6 Pro MR6550 - Verizon Connection Issues - NETGEAR Communities

Thanks

John

Message 50 of 69
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series