× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6500 Dropping internet

MikeG29
Initiate

Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6500 Dropping internet

My Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6500 keeps disconnecting from the internet. It will show it has a signal on the device itself but my computer will have no connection. I only use the ethernet port, I don't use it for wifi. I only have the nighthawk plugged directly into my computer via ethernet. I tried a new ethernet cable and it didn't change anything. I brought it to the ATT store and they switched it to ethernet offloading which made it worse - there was no connection at all. Then they gave me a new sim card, this didn't work as well. I spoke with Netgear support for over an hour and worked through all their troubleshooting to no avail. They said they'd have their engineer call me - they didn't - this was several weeks ago. My case ID# is MS48C3363 if that helps. I previously used an older model that worked well but it finally died which is what prompted the replacement and I've had nothing but issues since. I've noticed that the disconnection occurs during downloads or during online gaming. The speed will gradually slow down then drop completely. I've also had several instances where the internet will drop and reappear repeatedly every few seconds. Restarting the router has been the fix but sometimes it only lasts 5 minutes before having to repeat this. My firmware is up to date. My firmware is up to date and it is: NTGX65_10.04.22.01. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 66
acaskurlu
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6500 Dropping internet

Hello,

I faced the same problem. Have you found any solution?

FW: NTGX65_10.04.16.00

Best Regards,

Message 2 of 66
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@MikeG29 wrote:

My Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6500 keeps disconnecting from the internet. It will show it has a signal on the device itself but my computer will have no connection. I only use the ethernet port, I don't use it for wifi. I only have the nighthawk plugged directly into my computer via ethernet. I tried a new ethernet cable and it didn't change anything. I brought it to the ATT store and they switched it to ethernet offloading which made it worse - there was no connection at all. Then they gave me a new sim card, this didn't work as well. I spoke with Netgear support for over an hour and worked through all their troubleshooting to no avail. They said they'd have their engineer call me - they didn't - this was several weeks ago. My case ID# is MS48C3363 if that helps. I previously used an older model that worked well but it finally died which is what prompted the replacement and I've had nothing but issues since. I've noticed that the disconnection occurs during downloads or during online gaming. The speed will gradually slow down then drop completely. I've also had several instances where the internet will drop and reappear repeatedly every few seconds. Restarting the router has been the fix but sometimes it only lasts 5 minutes before having to repeat this. My firmware is up to date. My firmware is up to date and it is: NTGX65_10.04.22.01. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Sorry for replying late. Could you please capture a model.json file and send email to me @jopeng@netgear.com?

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

We would like to get more info from you.

Thanks

Message 3 of 66
MikeG29
Initiate

Thanks for the reply, I've chalked this up to a lost cause and have settled that this M6 is just a $500 paperweight now. I've discontinued my use of the product and replaced it with an older MR1100 I got off amazon. Just had to slot the sim card and get an APN for it to work. Speed is the same as the M6 when it would stay connected, now I just don't have to worry about the random disconnects. MR1100 is just a more reliable device. 

To anyone else here with the same problem looking for answers just replace device with an older model. The M6 is an unfinished product that they're selling for top dollar; I spent months and an exhaustive amount of effort trying to find a fix when there wasn't one. Save yourself the time and headache - the MR1100 works just as well without the disconnects.

Message 4 of 66
gladu2
Aspirant

I'm having exactly the same problem with a MR6150, it may be the firmware is buggy and a later version in the future will correct this problem. It's unacceptable to me and at the cost I paid for this premium hotspot I will probably return it and continue using the old one I was going to replace. I opened a case with support and may try one more time to get some answers, but right now it looks like an RMA. It's a shame because when it does work I really like the performance.

Message 5 of 66
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Can you capture a model.json file and send to me at jopeng@netgear.com. please mention your community id in the email.

Please also detail your use case and device setup, etc.

Thanks

John
Message 6 of 66
gladu2
Aspirant

Hello John, I emailed the information you requested. Hope you can help. 

Message 7 of 66
Anth_Rocca
Aspirant

Hi Everyone,

I received my MR6500-1TLAUS today and set it up. Internet connects for few minutes then drops out.

I I've been using a MR5100 in the same location, no issues....

Does the MR6500-1TLAUS have bugs? Should I return it to telstra?

Thanks.
Message 8 of 66
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Telstra is going to approve a new release soon. Please email me your device IMEI to jopeng@netgear.com and mention your community ID. I can set your device up to preview the coming maintenance release. It includes many feature enhancements and resolves data stability issues as you saw in the current release.

Regards

Message 9 of 66
2Saucy
Aspirant

I recieved my nighthawk m6 pro yesterday which was an upgrade from the m1100 i had and the seems are alot faster. I have a business account thru ATT and they upgraded it to me free of cost i paid nothing foe the m6 pro itself. Im just looking on google on tips of optimizing it for ethernet pkug and pkaying games on PC. This blows my mind all these people having issues with theirs... im hoping i dont run into those problems because it seems like a great device .i also use an antenna on my roof that it connects to via T9 cables
Message 10 of 66
sbrady4
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk M6 Pro MR6110 Dropping internet

I'm having similar problems with an AT&T M6 (MR6110) less than 1 week old. I'm using it without battery and ethernet only (wifi off) to feed my router. After various lengths of time (1 hour, 8 hours, 2hours) it drops out - the internet connection is dropped. Unplugging it and restarting it usually fixes it.

Message 11 of 66
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@sbrady4 wrote:

I'm having similar problems with an AT&T M6 (MR6110) less than 1 week old. I'm using it without battery and ethernet only (wifi off) to feed my router. After various lengths of time (1 hour, 8 hours, 2hours) it drops out - the internet connection is dropped. Unplugging it and restarting it usually fixes it.

Please send me the model.json file to me at jopeng@netgear.com with your community name.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator. Log in to WebUI first
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Message 12 of 66
DistillMill
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with mine. I've sent an email with my model.json data
Message 13 of 66
sbrady4
Tutor

Thanks for the help (john peng). It sounds like AT&T hasn't rolled out the latest drivers. 

Message 14 of 66
dmcshaw61
Tutor

I am also having these problems. I am using with no battery and in performance mode. I am getting lower speeds and pings the longer it is on. It randomly disconnects without losing signal. Resetting seam to help, but doesn't last long. Current version is NTGX65_12.01.16.00. Any help would be appreciated
Message 15 of 66
dmcshaw61
Tutor

Model number mr6110 from AT&T
Message 16 of 66
dmcshaw61
Tutor

Mr Peng
I have sent you my json file
Thanks for your assistance
Message 17 of 66
sbrady4
Tutor

I'm still in the AT&T 14 day return/replace, so I'm getting it swapped out to see if that helps any. Thanks for trying with AT&T. (it also has a 1 year warranty).

Message 18 of 66
sbrady4
Tutor

My firmware was NTGX65_10.01.47.00, so at least you have a more updated version.

Message 19 of 66
dmcshaw61
Tutor

Yes, but it got worse with the new update!
Message 20 of 66
gladu2
Aspirant

sbrady4 wrote- I'm still in the AT&T 14 day return/replace, so I'm getting it swapped out to see if that helps any. Thanks for trying with AT&T. (it also has a 1 year warranty).

Could you please report back on this thread whether swapping it out fixed your problem? I returned my mr6150 that was doing the same thing. 

Message 21 of 66
JT240Z
Luminary

Did you get a replacement unit or did you just get your money back and move on?  Where did you get your MR6150 from originally?

Message 22 of 66
sbrady4
Tutor

I’m going to try the replacement first. Mine seemed like it was going in some kind of software loop and getting bogged down and overheating. It would get where you couldn’t even use the touch screen. I’ll let you know if it works better but it will be a while before I get it and get back here where I use it.
Message 23 of 66
gladu2
Aspirant

jt240z wrote- Did you get a replacement unit or did you just get your money back and move on?  Where did you get your MR6150 from originally?

I bought it from Netgear, and returned it for a refund after all Netgear remote tech support troubleshooting was exhausted and the service drop issue could not be resolved. The unit probably had a hardware defect, maybe a failing modem because the issue got worse and worse as time went on. I may try and get a good one later, I really wanted it to work.  

Message 24 of 66
sbrady4
Tutor

@gladu2 wrote: Could you please report back on this thread whether swapping it out fixed your problem? I returned my mr6150 that was doing the same thing. 

So I Got the new 6110 replacement device. Set up (without battery and wired ethernet cable) and initially my PC was disconnecting from ethernet every 3 minutes. The Windows 10 network troubleshooter could fix it, and it'd work for 3 more minutes or so. It would say "The default gateway is not available". then it would fix it. I had set the M6 ethernet to 1000Mbps.

I called AT&T and they said try wifi only, maybe something with my PC. It did stay connected with wi-fi. Then I switched to (wired) 100Base-T and it stayed connected longer. So I'll continue testing. The device itself says it has been connected over 2 hours during all this loss of wired connection. I really need the wired connection to work. That was my whole point for buying that router. I want to use it with my own wired router as home network in an area with no phone or cable (and fixed wireless didn't have line of sight), but phone works great and fast where I'll put the hotspot. The first one did work great when it was working - 5G speed for a few hours before freeze up. I'm not at that location now, so can't test in final position until end of next week.

Also: This one came with firmware version NTGX65_10.04.22.00.

Message 25 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7