× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

ChristineT
Admin

Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) - We need your feedback!

Good day Nighthawk Community,

I'm reaching out to you today in hopes of soliciting your help. If anyone is experiencing any issues with the Nighthawk MR5200 (M5) Mobile Hotspot we want to hear from you. We have had a very small handful of reports from around the globe of issues with the following:

• Issues connecting to the cellular 4G or 5G network
  • Hotspot randomly rebooting
  • Cellular/WiFi connection drops randomly

We are unable to replicate any of these issue but take this feedback very seriously. If you're experiencing any of these issues please feel free to post the details by replying to this topic and I'll ensure it gets passed along to our engineering team.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you! 

Kind Regards,

Christine

Message 1 of 256

Accepted Solutions
flyingtotoro
Aspirant

Hi,

maybe it is possible to also help with the issue we experience.

We own two MR5200, let's call one "old" and the other one "new".

We use to run "old" with a Vodafone (Germany) SIM which originally came from a "Vodafone GigaCube", some kind of relabeled HUAWEI 5G Router. This setup was running fine for about 12 Month or so, but recently we started to experience interruptions of LTE connections after 12 to 24 hours. Only a reebot of "old" would help getting reconnected.

So we bought "new", used the very same SIM card with it. We experienced, that "new" wouldn't even connect to LTE nor any other band.

So we ordered a fresh SIM card and used in "new" but experienced the very same behaviour. "new" wouldn't connect to any band.

When using the fresh SIM card in "old", we were back to a connect time of about 12 to 24 hours, but then again interruptions of the connection.

@JohnPengcould you take a look at the model.json stats if we upload them?

Many thanks in advance!

View solution in original post

Message 211 of 256

All Replies

Hi Christine. 

Really grateful to see this post. 

I have a recently purchased MR5100 that receives a "disconnected" overnight on a regular basis. A reboot is needed to restore the service.

This M5 unit replaced a M1 router, but is significantly less reliable (operates 24x7 forhome internet over 4G).

Firmware version NTGX55_12.04.12.00.

Can't see any faciities to access logs, so I have NFI what is going on, but it's frustrating!

PM me for more details.  Happy to help diagnose.

Feel free to delete this post.

Cheers.

Message 2 of 256
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend starting a new post in regards to your MR5100. This thead is asking for feedback for the MR5200 and user experiences for this model product. 

Please start a new forum post in the main Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems and we'll try to help you out. 

Thank you. 

@iKaruS_Bungle wrote:

Hi Christine. 

I have a recently purchased MR5100 that receives a "disconnected" overnight on a regular basis. A reboot is needed to restore the service.

This M5 unit replaced a M1 router, but is significantly less reliable (operates 24x7 forhome internet over 4G).

Can't see any faciities to access logs, so I have NFI what is going on, but it's frustrating!

Cheers.

Message 3 of 256
benyba
Guide

Hi,

I'm still having 5G unstability issues described in this post :

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/MR5200-won-t-attach-to-n77-after-fir...

To summarize, I'm not able to use 5G network since I've upgraded from 10.29.11 firmware. I'm obliged to force it to LTE as 5G connection is highly unstable. Latest FW didn't change anything for me.

Log examples separated by a few seconds :

"connectionText":	"5G",
	"sessDuration": 	25636,
	"sessStartTime": 	1318381157,

"signalStrength": {
		"rssi":-79,
		"rscp":0,
		"ecio":0,
		"rsrp":-93,
		"rsrq":-12,
		"bars":5,
		"sinr":1,
		"end":""
	},

"diagInfo": [  {		
		"lteAttached": true,
		"nr5gAttached": true,
		"endcEnabledConfig": true,
		"ltesigValid":true,		
		"ltesigRssi":"-79 dBm",	
		"ltesigRsrp": "-93 dBm",
		"ltesigRsrq": "-12 dB",
		"ltesigSnr": "1 dB",
		"nr5gsigValid": true,
		"nr5gsigRsrp": "-114 dBm",
		"nr5gsigRsrq": "-12 dB",
		"nr5gsigSnr": "15 dB"		
	"sessDuration": 	25786,

"rsrp":-110,
		"bars":3,
		"sinr":0,
	},

"ltesigRsrp": "-110 dBm",
		"ltesigRsrq": "-13 dB",
		"ltesigSnr": "0 dB",
		"nr5gsigRsrp": "-32768 dBm",
		"nr5gsigRsrq": "-32768 dB",
		"nr5gsigSnr": "-3276 dB"		
	},{}],

Thank you

Benoit

Message 4 of 256
Flosch77
Tutor

Hello from Europe,
I just started research and came across this post. I am using European MR5200 and have big problems connecting to LTE networks. After MR5200 searching for network for several minutes it falls back to WCDMA H+ connection. I can see it cycling through bands B3 B8 B20 before failing. I have German t-mobile contract currently used in Poland, means data roaming. I had chance to crosschange different multi Sims and also use local t-mobile sim. I checked APN settings several times. Phones next to M5 have strong 4g+ connection. Due to roaming I can choose from 4 carriers. One ends up with 4g connection all others fail to connect at all or go to H+ after some time. Regardless of connection type connection is lost after few minutes very often.
I am quite desperate at this point and hope for help.
Regards Florian

edit: I could just check another carriers sim (o2) , same behaviour, no lte, long search for any network. All sims have unlimited 4g/5g plans.
Message 5 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@Flosch77 wrote:
Hello from Europe,
I just started research and came across this post. I am using European MR5200 and have big problems connecting to LTE networks. After MR5200 searching for network for several minutes it falls back to WCDMA H+ connection. I can see it cycling through bands B3 B8 B20 before failing. I have German t-mobile contract currently used in Poland, means data roaming. I had chance to crosschange different multi Sims and also use local t-mobile sim. I checked APN settings several times. Phones next to M5 have strong 4g+ connection. Due to roaming I can choose from 4 carriers. One ends up with 4g connection all others fail to connect at all or go to H+ after some time. Regardless of connection type connection is lost after few minutes very often.
I am quite desperate at this point and hope for help.
Regards Florian

edit: I could just check another carriers sim (o2) , same behaviour, no lte, long search for any network. All sims have unlimited 4g/5g plans.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please see my comments and provide the required information if possible for initial review. Then we will provide instructions to collect more logs if needed.

1. Can you confirm your MR5200 with the T-T-Mo SIM works in Germany, the home network?

2. Since you are in roaming network, please make sure Roaming data is enabled. Please check the check box in front of the roaming data under APN setting

3. For all the SIM cards that can't get on LTE, most likely, it is due to carrier blocking the service to the device

Could you please help to capture the model.json logs with each SIM card you have and send them to me at jopeng@netgear.com?

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Please mark the logs with the name of the carrier of the SIM card.

Thanks for your help in advance and hope we can help to resolve your issues.

Message 6 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@iKaruS_Bungle wrote:

Hi Christine. 

Cheers.

Our SE in Australia will contact you and work with you to resolve the issue. Could you please send your contact info to my email: jopeng@netgear.com

Thanks

Message 7 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@benyba wrote:

Hi,

I'm still having 5G unstability issues described in this post :

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/MR5200-won-t-attach-to-n77-after-fir...

To summarize, I'm not able to use 5G network since I've upgraded from 10.29.11 firmware. I'm obliged to force it to LTE as 5G connection is highly unstable. Latest FW didn't change anything for me.

Log examples separated by a few seconds :

"sessDuration": 	25636,

"rsrp":-93,
		"bars":5,
		"sinr":1,
	},

"ltesigRsrp": "-93 dBm",
		"ltesigRsrq": "-12 dB",
		"ltesigSnr": "1 dB",
		"nr5gsigRsrp": "-114 dBm",
		"nr5gsigRsrq": "-12 dB",
		"nr5gsigSnr": "15 dB"		
	"sessDuration": 	25786,

"rsrp":-110,
		"bars":3,
		"sinr":0,
	},

"ltesigRsrp": "-110 dBm",
		"ltesigRsrq": "-13 dB",
		"ltesigSnr": "0 dB",
		"nr5gsigRsrp": "-32768 dBm",
		"nr5gsigRsrq": "-32768 dB",
		"nr5gsigSnr": "-3276 dB"		
	},{}],

Thank you

Benoit

I can provide the instructions to allow you downgrading to the previous release and see whether your device can work normally as you expect. After that, we can get some logs on the latest release to check what might be wrong.

Thanks

Message 8 of 256
jzz15
Aspirant

In many eastern asia cities, like Hong Kong, Macau, Beijing, Shanghai etc.

The provider deployed SA base station and NSA network not available anymore, and MR5200 can not handle SA network, so this router can only connect to 4G+ network.

When MR5200 can enable 5G SA network?

Message 9 of 256
FEMANINJA
Aspirant

Would sooo love to own this. It’s top of my list. Just bought 3 wifi routers. An Asus and 2 nighthawks. I’m keeping nh #3. 🙂
Previously I had your little lte modem and it’s a sweet lil device, the best of it’s kind- perhaps only. This m5 didn’t exist but now as I’m getting ready to cut the chord, I dream of owning this! Would love to test it out and review for you. And or anything else you’re curious for feedback… I’m a self employed (unemployed a’ la pandemic Covid reasons,) but have a 20yr bg with digital media and interactive tech. Researching securities and vpns and comparing for a myriad of uses. I’m just a singular being without official YouTube review channel nor are my various other presences on the web configured for monetization. Reviews and discussions I have are purely because I am a passionate and creative geek. If you have a program or policy for me to get into I would love to to review and promote and share, positives, I’m not into negativity, and there’s enough of that. I prefer to provide truth and dispel hearsay and false accusations that spread rather than help encourage great products in form and function and usability are known. Can’t afford this in this moment. If you have any thoughts please share. I’ve never actually written to a company in this way, exactly, so I’m finally just jumping in now.
As I see people reviewing and unboxing and sharing tips on set up and stuff on yt and all over the place and think to myself how much I’d love to do that. It’s something I just do anyway! I learn explore share compare… so how about I find a way to do that, too! Ok happy holidays
Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem
Message 10 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@jzz15 wrote:

In many eastern asia cities, like Hong Kong, Macau, Beijing, Shanghai etc.

The provider deployed SA base station and NSA network not available anymore, and MR5200 can not handle SA network, so this router can only connect to 4G+ network.

When MR5200 can enable 5G SA network?

SA support is planned for early next year. Please standby.

Thanks

Message 11 of 256
TUXonTheRoad
Aspirant

MR5200 = M5:

Setup1

SimCard NOS Portugal in M5 = some smartphones and tablets can connect to M5wifi, some cannot.

Setup2

Same SimCard in a tablet + M5 dataOffloading enabled = M5 redistributes the tabletWifi = now M5wifi.

The devices which could not connect in setup1 connect now successfully to M5wifi.

Why? Thank you for helpfull informations 🙂 chris

Message 12 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@TUXonTheRoad wrote:

MR5200 = M5:

Setup1

SimCard NOS Portugal in M5 = some smartphones and tablets can connect to M5wifi, some cannot.

Setup2

Same SimCard in a tablet + M5 dataOffloading enabled = M5 redistributes the tabletWifi = now M5wifi.

The devices which could not connect in setup1 connect now successfully to M5wifi.

Why? Thank you for helpfull informations 🙂 chris

Thanks for reporteing the issue to us. 

Could you please advise the WiFi client brands and medels? We can check on this.

Regards

Message 13 of 256
TUXonTheRoad
Aspirant

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G SM-T976B
wifi: WPA2-Personal, 2.4ghz

Netgear MR5200 Nighthawk M5, H/W: 1.3, SN 6B2617WJ00E6A
wifi: WPA2 Personal AES, 2.4ghz
channel auto, standy disabled, range short, 2.4G: HT20, 5G: VHT80

Clients with problems in setup1:

- iPhone11 MHDG3ZD/A iOS 15.1

- iPad 5.generation MP2H2TY/A iOS 14.8.1

Message 14 of 256
benyba
Guide

@JohnPengHi, I'm interested by these instructions for downgrade and ready to do some tests for you.

Thank you

Message 15 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@benyba wrote:

@JohnPengHi, I'm interested by these instructions for downgrade and ready to do some tests for you.

Thank you

I have set up your device to downgrade to the previous release with FW 12.03.09.00 and PRI 03.04.

Please do a manuel FW upgrade check to downgrade you device and let me know if you have any issues.

Then you can let me know whether the issue you experinced with the latest release has gone.

Thanks

Message 16 of 256
NoV1m
Tutor

Just bought the M5 to replace my M1 now that 5G is available in my village .
Used it with 4G for a week now, cause I still didn’t upgrade to a 5G SiMcard and had no issue. To say I received the new SiM ! I was amazed, internet is so much faster!
But this evening, experienced two times a connection loss. The router still displayed that it received 5G network but my devices couldn’t connect to the internet. So I came here to get more informations on the subject and see that I’m probably not the only one in this case.
Message 17 of 256
NoV1m
Tutor

Another precision, only way I found to solve it is to restart the router. So I restarted it two times today. It’s really since I switched to 5G that this issue appeared. During my week on 4G network, it was flawless.
Message 18 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@NoV1m wrote:
Another precision, only way I found to solve it is to restart the router. So I restarted it two times today. It’s really since I switched to 5G that this issue appeared. During my week on 4G network, it was flawless.

Thanks for the information. When you say your device can't access to 5G, could you please specify what devices are connected to M6 and by WiFi or by Ethernet cable?

Regards

John

Message 19 of 256
benyba
Guide

Hi @JohnPeng 

could you please push 10.29.11 instead ? I confirm I already had this issue with 12.03.09.00 that I didn't have before this one.

Thank you

Message 20 of 256
NoV1m
Tutor

I use my M5 wifi disabled, connected via Ethernet to an Orbi RBR20 router for mesh networking my apartment that is on two floors.
When this happens (happened again this morning) I tried to turn wifi on on the M5 but the internet still wasn’t connected. The device’s display showed that it was connected to my operator’s 5G but no internet was accessible.
Message 21 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@NoV1m wrote:
I use my M5 wifi disabled, connected via Ethernet to an Orbi RBR20 router for mesh networking my apartment that is on two floors.
When this happens (happened again this morning) I tried to turn wifi on on the M5 but the internet still wasn’t connected. The device’s display showed that it was connected to my operator’s 5G but no internet was accessible.
Thanks for the confirmation. Your issue seems also reported by other customers in the following coummunity discussion.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Netgear-Nighthawk-M5-MR5200-WAN-issu...

We are working on this issue right now. Sorry for the inconvenience. We may need your help to capture some logs if needed.

Thanks

Message 22 of 256
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Set it up. Please give it a try. Also sent the private message to you.
@benyba wrote:

Hi @JohnPeng 

could you please push 10.29.11 instead ? I confirm I already had this issue with 12.03.09.00 that I didn't have before this one.

Thank you

Message 23 of 256
RonGonz
Star

Hi,

I am purchase MR 5200, I am using in IP Passthrough Mode.

If the device loses connection, I am unable to renew the DHCP lease.

Also I have noticed that during Boot Up, the device wants to assign a RFC1918 IP, but the local DHCP server is already disabled.

So it is not stable device to use as for LTE Failover.

Please contact me via Support Ticket for Details.

Message 24 of 256
Chipster27
Aspirant

Carrier: Verizon with Verizon 5G sim card

Hotspot: MR5200

Firmware Version: NTGX55_12.04.10.01

Firmware Build: 2021/08/30

Hardware Version: 1.1

PRI Version: 02.02

Problem: The device is losing data connection. I end up with a yellow warning triangle associated with the WiFi icon. When I click on it I get a message saying the device has lost data connection.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Message 25 of 256
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7