Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cascade DGND3700 to WNR2000

mouseno4
Aspirant

Cascade DGND3700 to WNR2000

How is this done?

I have spent a couple weeks trying to make this work, but nothing i do seems to work.

I follow procedures found on the internet TO.THE.LETTER with absolutely nothing missed. No steps overlooked, no numbers mixed up, nothing.

Setting DNS on slave to masters IP - done.
Setting IP on slave to last octet increment by 1 - done.
Disable DHCP on slave to disable - done.
etc etc

I am able to get a green LED on the slave's internet light, as well as ''Internet'' on my LAN settings but still zero internet and no internet on the setup page.

If i might guess as to the cause of so much trouble - ALL guides on how to cascade two routers - even of the same brand - have omitted or missed an important step. Clearly, there is a setting or three on the setup page, every procedure modifies that is either automatically missed/ignored or just assumed is set a certain way and neither mentioned or hinted at.

Message 1 of 10
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Re: Cascade DGND3700 to WNR2000

If you want to set the second router as router and not an AP then try this article.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/70

But if you want to set the 2nd router as an access point. Follow these steps:

1. Change the IP address of the router under LAN setup in range with the main router. (example: 192.168.0.x).
2. Connect an ethernet cable from the LAN port of the Main router to the LAN port of the 2nd router.
Message 2 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

mouseno4 wrote:
1.Setting DNS on slave to masters IP - done.
2. Setting IP on slave to last octet increment by 1 - done.
3. Disable DHCP on slave to disable - done.
4. etc etc

1. Not necessary, the DNS address would be obtained from the DHCP server (your gateway router).
2. Not the normal way to do this, you would normally allocate an IP high in the subnet range e.g. 192.168.1.200, and set the DHCP server to a limited range with a maximum IP setting of 192.168.1.199. Your setting may well lead to IP conflicts if the DHCP server is not adjusted.
3. Correct
4. The ‘etc.’ should include reducing the DHCP range (as per point 2) and connecting only a LAN port of the ‘slave’ to the existing LAN, don’t use the WAN (Internet) port.
Message 3 of 10
mouseno4
Aspirant

I have done everything suggested prior to creating this thread.

Clearly there is some little detail, information or setting that is obviously being overlooked.

Master modem router DGND3700 direct to my PC provides perfect internet to that sole PC. Slave router disconnected from everything. Can access the master router perfectly fine.

Master modem router DGND3700 to my WNR2000 slave router does NOT provide internet. PC connected only to the slave router. Can access the slave router perfectly fine.

The best i have managed to get is the middle ''internet signal'' light on the WNR2000 being a solid amber or a solid green light. That is it. Still no internet on the PC nor detectable on the slave router setup page.

I have updated the firmware on BOTH routers to the latest and have reset BOTH to factory settings before setting them back up for master-slave cascading router setup.

Have not gotten anywhere no matter what anyone tells me. I have even purchased the WNR2000 brand new 2 days ago to try and solve this problem as my previous Belkin router was experiencing the same problem.
Message 4 of 10
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Have you tried using the WNR2000 as an access point? Connec the cable from the LAN port of the DGND3700 to the LAN port of the WNR2000.
Message 5 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

mouseno4,

It’s not clear to me if you are trying to connect the two routers by Ethernet cable or wirelessly? If wirelessly then many Netgear routers have had the necessary WDS functionality removed for security / certification reasons.
Message 6 of 10
mouseno4
Aspirant

Apologies for that. Not sure how i missed that info. Yes, i am connecting a standard Cat 5 cable from one of the LAN ports on the DGND3700 to the ''modem/internet'' port on the WNR20000. To be honest, the reason for this setup, is range and wireless interference. It is simply not possible to connect pretty much ANYTHING wirelessly to the master router, from the location of the slave router. So the only way to get a slew of wired and wireless devices connected to the internet, is to run a cable from the master to the slave and then have everything connect via cable or wireless to the slave router.
Message 7 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To correctly set up the ‘2000 as an Access Point, which you are part way to doing, you need to use its LAN ports only, not the WAN / Internet port, as per post #3.
Message 8 of 10
mouseno4
Aspirant

Well aware of that. Did that already to no avail. It was one of the procedures i read on the internet before arriving here.
Message 9 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

But in post #7 you wrote;

Yes, i am connecting a standard Cat 5 cable from one of the LAN ports on the DGND3700 to the ''modem/internet'' port on the WNR20000.

Which is why I made the point that you should be connecting to a LAN port of the WNR2000.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7