Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7800 SOLID amber DSL light

In_Bed_With_ME
Aspirant

D7800 SOLID amber DSL light

Decided to replace our old WNR2200, but the D7800 ain't playing nice. I have been trying to troubleshoot for the past 3 hours, but 'solid amber DSL LED' isn't a status condition covered in either the quick setup guide, nor the PDF manual. 

What follows is the email I've shot off to tech support but, if it ain't in the manual, it won't be in their knowledge base either. 

If if there's a Netgear bod reading this, could they please advise…? Or anyone, I'm too tired to be dealing with this! 

ARGH!!! So much for the D7800 being easy to set up!

Our current setup is a WNR2200 connected to a BT Openreach modem, both supplied by our ISP, Eclipse Internet. The modem plugs into a BT Openreach branded socket, and the phone is plugged into a standard phone jack below it.They are situated on the opposite side of the room from the desk, making an Ethernet connection impracticable. My parents have a MacBook Pro from which they connect to the Internet via wifi.

It is now 02:30, and I have been attempting to get the new unit to find a DSL connection since midnight. Ive tried using the supplied filter in the phone socket, and connecting the D7800 and the phone to that, and Ive tried plugging the unit into the Openreach socket - it aint having any of it, and Ive lost count of the number of times Ive power-cycled the fecking thing, as well as entered the MAC - Ive even unplugged the MBP and dragged it across the room and cabled it to the D7800, but that didnt help, either!

It is imperative that this can be made to work (or, if it cant, that youre able to suggest a unit that is compatible with our setup thats infinitely better than the WNR2200). Ysee Im stuck in bed with ME/fibromyalgia, and I have a subscription to a premium music streaming service which streams at 320kbps and our current setup isnt able to handle it, not least because my bedroom is at the opposite side of the house to the front room, where the computer and router/modem are situated, and they cannot be relocated.

This is a very large detached house and obviously the WNR2200 isnt designed to be used in very large detached houses; its also quite an old house, meaning the walls/floors are quite thick.

The D7800 automatically connected to the 5GHz channel, the 2.4 isnt listed in network settings on the MBP, but the real issue is, obviously, the SOLID amber DSL LED; its flashed white for a couple of seconds, but then it returns to a solid amber condition, a status not covered in the quick setup guide, nor in the PDF manual.

Im autistic, so I hope this makes some kind of sense - Im also extremely tired and extremely frustrated, so I hope youll reread this before asking me any questions to which I may have already supplied the answers.

Nearly £300 is an awful lot of money for a disabled person whos unable to work to spend on a device that refuses to function!

Like I said, if it transpires that its NOT compatible with our set-up, could you please suggest a device that would be, bearing in mind the size of the property, I cant cope with the wifi continually cutting out for much longer!

Thanks

SJ

Right, I've had enough of this bollocks, I'm going back to sleep! Cheers dudes! 🤓

Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello In_Bed

The solid amber light on the DSL means that the modem is unable to detect a DSL signal. Have you tried to factory reset the modem then go threw the Internet setup agian?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
In_Bed_With_ME
Aspirant

No, of COURSE I haven't! How f***ing stupid do you think I am (don't answer that)…?! That's why I said I'd done exactly that! For f**k's sake, Darren, is stupidity a requirement for working in Netgear support…?!

Now, how's about you read my post again, and actually offer some HELP this time (if at all possible)…? If you can't, then perhaps you'd pass my post to someone who can. 

In fact, I'd prefer to speak to someone in a higher capacity- the fact you can't distinguish between 'threw' and 'through' doesn't fill me with confidence. Don't like my attitude…? Tough. I don't like being spoken to like I'm stupid. 

F**king jobsworths! 

Message 3 of 4

@In_Bed_With_ME wrote:

No, of COURSE I haven't! How f***ing stupid do you think I am (don't answer that)…?! That's why I said I'd done exactly that!

Where do you say that you have reset the modem? I read your message pretty carefully – not easy given that it rambles all over the place, which may explain any misunderstanding among readers – but I cannot see any reference to resetting.

Powering on and off is not the same as resetting. Check the manual for details on how to do that. (It is on page 222).

What DarrebM is saying is that your modem is not finding a DSL signal on the phone line.

You say that:

'solid amber DSL LED' isn't a status condition covered in either the quick setup guide, nor the PDF manual.

But if you look at page 14 of the manual (see the support page I linked to), it says:

Solid amber. The modem router is not connected to a DSL service or cable or fiber modem or did
not detect an Internet connection.

There is then a link to another bit of the document: "Troubleshoot the Internet Connection". That's page 286.

It isn't clear to me if you have an ADSL or VDSL Internet connection. Your new modem can handle both.

The WNR2200 is a wifi router.

WNR2200 | WiFi Routers | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

The D7800 is a VDSL/ADSL Modem Router:

D7800 | DSL Modems & Routers | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

So I assume that  you are not just using the new toy as a drop-in replacement. Are you trying to eliminate the BT modem?

Is the D7800 plugged into the BT socket or the BT modem?

Your first message raises many more questions but it helps to keep things simple. If someone doesn't understand what someone writes, there are two possible reasons: the readers are idiots who don't know what they are talking about, or the original message is confusing.

By the way, have you thought of using powerline plugs to distribute Internet around the house?

Finally, I realise that your autism is an issue, but you will not get very far if you swear at and insult people who are trying to help you. They may just leave you to stew in your own juice.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7