× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Constant amber power light on R6400 router

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Constant amber power light on R6400 router

My Netgear R6400 router is not powering on correctly.  I use it for both LAN and WiFi connectivity.  It is not allowing internet access via either method.

Both the Power and Internet led lights are a constant amber color.  Early on when this problem began to occur, I was able to login to the router to check its' status, but now I can no longer login via http://www.routerlogin.net.  I have gone through the following troubleshooting issues several times:

- Restarting the router

- Restarting the modem and then the router

- Upgrading the firmware (while I was still able to login to the router)

- Pressing the router reset button, both while the router was powered on and powered off.  I have also done this for short (10 seconds) and longer durations (3 minutes).

- I have pinged the router at 192.168.1.1 with success.

- I have checked all ethernet and power cable connections.

- I have replaced the modem-to-router ethernet cable.

- I have plugged the router into a non-surge protected power outlet with no resolution.

- I have gone through the process of attempting to erase and flash the router firmware with both older and current firmware via tftp2.exe file.  During this process, I was not able to install the firmware.  I tried this lengthy process both with the factory login password ("password"), and the non-factory login password that I set the router to.

I am able to access the internet through my modem direct via a LAN line (That is how I am accessing this forum and attempting to find a solution to my problem).

To confirm all LED lights on my router at this time:

Six (6) lights are illuminated.

The Power and Internet lights are a constant amber.

The 2.4 and 5 GHz lights are a constant white as is normal.

One of the Ethernet Ports (LAN to my desktop) is a constant white as is normal.

The WiFi On/Off light is a constant white as is normal.

The WPS button light is a constant white as is normal.

I am guessing that my firmware may be corrupted.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

Thanks.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Constant amber power light on R6400 router

Hi @velvetwood,

1. Are you referring to the Internet light (planet symbol)?

2. Please make sure that you are able to go online straight from the modem (ISP's device).

3. You can try MAC spoofing. Check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 20

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

It is either your AC adapter is heading South or as a result the firmware is corrupt.  Just make sure

the adaopter is good B4 you do anything. If adaptor checks out try tftp to reload f/w.

Message 2 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi VE6CGX:

Thank you for the info.  I just checked the output voltage of the adaptor and it is 15 volts.  The adaptor is labeled as having a 12 volt output.  Perhaps this over voltage is enough to cause a problem.  I am going to seek out another 12 volt adaptor and see if that might work.

Thanks again,

Shawn

Message 3 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Update to R6400 Router problem.

I picked up another Netgear 12 VDC output adaptor and tried that with my router with no resolution.  The second power adaptor also had a 15+VDC output.

Message 4 of 20
VE6CGX
Master

Just measuring voltage output is not meanful. You have to test it under load. I have a little jig I can put in series with adapter output cable

which enables me to measure the voltage and current when plugged in and router powered up.. Also using a O'scope I can see how clean the out put current is. Some times theybecomes intermittent; like good for a while bad for a while >>> until it quits. Amber LED means CFE boot loader time which means it is waiting for a f/w. Like I mention earlier if  you can ping the router, there is good chance tftp will work for you. Good luck.

Message 5 of 20
steakhouse
Tutor

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I have a very similar problem with my 6 months old R6400 router.

I rebooted it the other days because it had performance issues with the 2.4GHz WIFI network and I thought that should be the first try. After that it couldn't connect to the Netgear CM500 modem anymore and didn't get an IPv4 address. The power LED and the internet LED stay amber. Though I can still access the UI of the router. The WIFI still works but the router doesn't get an IP address from the Netgear CM500 modem (even when spoofing MAC addresses). Interestingly when enabling IPv6 it at least gets an IPv6 address but this doesn't allow proper surfing on the web.

I tried everything recommended, like powercycling, factory reset, firmware upgrade to latest firmware, disconntected over night, etc.

It's definitely the router as I bought a replacement router (same model) as I need internet and it worked like a charm (everything turned white after a few minutes).

So I'm also curios if there is anything that can be done, like uploading a recovery OS image or something like that. Can't believe the router stops working properly after a power-off and a restart. 😞

Thanks!

Message 6 of 20
Crickez
Initiate

This makes 3 of us, and all within the 3 weeks!  Mine ambered out after I did a simple change in my router settings (adjusting upstream QoS).  Upon it loading it, and restarting, it ambered out.  Out of commision since. Netgear wants me to fork up cash for their  hickup, bought this thing 4 months ago!
Maybe we could all make a case?

Message 7 of 20
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Retired_Member, @steakhouse, and @Crickez,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 20
stew6283
Tutor

Same issue for me as well. Make that four people in one month. Made a simple change to the router settings and R6400 power light went to soft amber color. No longer able to access the router and cannot ping either. 30-30-30 hard reset does not work. Brick?

Message 9 of 20
Crickiz
Tutor

Had to make a new account just to reply. I'd just call them, And tell them about this community page, how this is a trend with this router. Demand you want a new router. That's what I did, managed to get a new one. Best of luck to you friend.
Message 10 of 20
stew6283
Tutor

Called. Outside of warranty period, wanted to charge me $130 to renew support with no guarantee of fixing the router. R6400 brand new is around that cost. I was told to make sure that I never turn on automatic updates on the router and that I should never install firmware upgrades. Really? Pretty disappointed in support. Maybe we could build a house with all of our Netgear bricks.

Thanks for your reply crickiz.
Message 11 of 20
Crickiz
Tutor

They tried to get me to pay, just to tell me suggestions on how to fix it as well. I've heard much better reviews for ASUS, and having owned one in another house ive also have had good luck with them.
I think that's where I'll put my loyalty next time :).
Message 12 of 20
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @stew6283,

You can try TFTP. You can check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 13 of 20
stew6283
Tutor

Have tried static ip and tftp and command prompt tftp put, cannot ping the router, seems like zero communication between the router.
Message 14 of 20
Crickiz
Tutor

Does it not seem fishy that all of our routers were bricked within a month of each other? I bet there are many more people who arn't on this forum with the same problem.

Message 15 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Dear Boys & Girls:

Thanks for all your help.  After what I considered an acceptable amount of unpaid time and effort attempting to resurrect my Netgear R6400 router, I have sold it for salvage value and sent it on to a more able and / or a more patient techno-savant for possible restoration.  I myself have evolved on to another brand of router that has been serving me well for these many weeks since Netgear router burpus-interuptus.  It would have been fortunate if Netgear tech staff were able to have contacted me and instructed me to forward on my inactive router at my cost and with a prepaid return label, for a likely minimal-time restoration back to factory settings service…..  Alas, such matters did not happen and I have now moved on to more prosperous fields…..

Fare thee well oh Netgear router-dom.

Cheers amigos !

Message 16 of 20
velvetwood
Aspirant

I bout the same model router from brick and mortar store. I'm trying to set up the wifi without a laptop connection and poor cell service so I needed this router to work with out a lot of fuss. Sat near cable guy as he did cable install. He said the amber light wouldn't turn white. He hooked his laptop into cable and could see modem was working (it's lit up). He said there was something wrong with router. After he left I got out instructions and tried set up. Still amber light. I returned the router to brick and mortar. I tried set up 5 times last night and still getting solid amber light. So since Netgear hasn't explained why I'm going to have to assume it's defective andy one I buy from Netgear will also be defective. I don't have time to go out to buy a new adapter. Shouldn't the adapter they put in the box work with their units?  If there's an answer to this proble post it quick because I'll be taking this one back for a full refund and buying another brand.

Message 17 of 20
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @velvetwood,

1. Are you referring to the Internet light (planet symbol)?

2. Please make sure that you are able to go online straight from the modem (ISP's device).

3. You can try MAC spoofing. Check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 18 of 20
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @velvetwood,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 19 of 20
productionhelp
Aspirant

Too many problems too soon with my R6400 router.  Purchased it at Best Buy at the end of January 2017 and it's worthless to me now.  Unfortunately, I'm past the 90-day customer support so Netgear wants to extort another $90 from me to correct the problems I'm having with this flawed product.  After reading many posts,  it appears there are several issues with the firmware updates and various other problems.  It's a shame that Netgear doesn't care enough about their customers to offer extended support at no additional charge.  Super Sad face emoji from this customer.  Shame on you Netgear!

Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7