× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6300-AC1750 Router doesn't connect to CM600

Sctwigg
Aspirant

R6300-AC1750 Router doesn't connect to CM600

My R6300 Router will not connect to my new netgear CM600 cable modem. The internet light remains amber. I've done the appropriate power down/reboots on the modem and router with no success. I've done the MAC spoofing of the address of the computer that I used to set up the CM600 on the R6300 with no success. I can connect directly to the CM600 modem with a laptop and internet is fine (the modem is activated with my ISP). Firmware is up to date on all equipment.
Additionally the router connects to my CM400 without issue and connected to a previous CM600 before its WAN port died.

Does anyone have thoughts as to what I should try next to troubleshoot this?
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Sctwigg
Aspirant

Re: R6300-AC1750 Router doesn't connect to CM600

I started thinking about firmware after my last post.  I did some testing and found that if I reset the reset the router to the factory settings and then reverted to the previous firmware for the R6300 (1.0.2.76) the Router would then connect to the DHCP on the CM600.  I could then update to the current firmware and still retain the internet connection.  If I applied a saved cfg file to the router from current firmware I could replicate the problem with the internet connection.  The repair process was repeated: clear the cfg settings by resetting the router to the factory settings, revert to the previous firmware and then update to the current firmware.  Everything was fine with the internet connection with the CM600

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17

All Replies
Cpfms
Apprentice

Did you enable Downstream QoS by chance? There seems to be an issue with that setting basically bricking the router in the .18 firmware.
Message 2 of 17
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Sctwigg,

1. Please try using the CM MAC of the CM600.

2. Did you do the MAC spoof using the computer that goes online when connected to the modem?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 17
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Sctwigg,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 4 of 17
Sctwigg
Aspirant

It was enabled and I've shut it off now without seeing a change after power cycling and rebooting. Interestingly, the Router worked fine with a previous CM600 with QoS enabled.

Message 5 of 17
Cpfms
Apprentice

There was something in the .18 firmware that caused Downstream QoS to brick the ability of it to get an IP from DHCP while in router mode. 

Message 6 of 17
Sctwigg
Aspirant

I tried both without any change

I tried both without any change
Message 7 of 17
Cpfms
Apprentice

Once it's broken there isn't a fix, at least not one that we have found.
Message 8 of 17
Sctwigg
Aspirant

So I'm looking at a router that won't connect to theCM600 but works fine with a CM400.  I want to besure I have everything clear.  So is the issue the router firmware (V1.0.2.78_1.0.58)  that won't see the DHCP from the CM600 or is it the firmware within the CM600 (V1.01.12) that wont see the DHCP request from the R6300?  

I just want to know since I'm near the return date for the second CM600 and don't want to hang on to it if I'm using a router that cant access the internet through it.

Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 9 of 17
Sctwigg
Aspirant

Now after looking at everything else, it may have been the QoS setting that killed the connection with the first CM600 and, assumably the reason why the second never worked. With the first CM600 the quality of the connection on the network was fine at first and slowy started deteriorating.  Then it got to the point where I was geeting dropped connections with an online game and speedtests were showing a great deal of lag, etc. That's why I returned the first one, I was thinking that it was a hardware issue with the LAN port on the CM600.  

Message 10 of 17
Sctwigg
Aspirant

I started thinking about firmware after my last post.  I did some testing and found that if I reset the reset the router to the factory settings and then reverted to the previous firmware for the R6300 (1.0.2.76) the Router would then connect to the DHCP on the CM600.  I could then update to the current firmware and still retain the internet connection.  If I applied a saved cfg file to the router from current firmware I could replicate the problem with the internet connection.  The repair process was repeated: clear the cfg settings by resetting the router to the factory settings, revert to the previous firmware and then update to the current firmware.  Everything was fine with the internet connection with the CM600

Message 11 of 17
Cpfms
Apprentice

That's good and all but sucks if you have multiple port forwarding configs and other things going on that were working fine before the firmware/QoS setting broke things. 

Message 12 of 17
Cpfms
Apprentice

Just spoke with Alex from Level 2 support and he basically said if this affected you then your hardware is defective and needs to be replaced. However, unless you are still inside your 90 day warranty period they will not be replacing the defective units and you will need to go out and buy a new one yourself. Well my next router d@mn sure won't be a Netgear, I'll tell you that. Not to mention we had to play phone and email tag for weeks just for him to tell me they aren't going to do jack to make this right. 

Thanks for nothing. 

Message 13 of 17
Sctwigg
Aspirant

Sorry to hear that support hasn't been helpful

Since I did the reflash of the AC-1750 firmware I haven't had a problem with the DHCP requests from the router to the modem.   It was a bit of a pain since the QoS isn't on and other port-forward settings, static ip addresses, etc. needed to be re-entered but it currently looks like I don't need to replace either unit.  I'm thinking about flashing the router with dd-wrt firmware and using that interface and controls instead of the netgear firmware.  My router is way out of warranty so I'm not concerned about warranty returns etc.

Message 14 of 17
Cpfms
Apprentice

The reset and firmware rollback has not been successful for me today. I went back to .12 on my R6400 and I am still not able to get an IP through DHCP. I guess I may as well look into the did-wrt option.
Message 15 of 17
Sctwigg
Aspirant

Try a 30/30/30 reset and then do a reflash.  The 30/30/30 is continuously holding the reset button down for 30 seconds with power to the router on, keep pressing the reset while powering off for 30 seconds, and keep holding for another 30 while powering back on.  After the reflash, do the same 30/30/30 cycle and see if the DHCP works.

If you have a R6400 and select the dd-wrt route, be sure to look for the specific firmware release for the R6400.  Check out their website and wiki before you take the plunge.

Message 16 of 17
Cpfms
Apprentice

No dice...

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements