Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie won't quit on Mac OS X

RoboGenie
Initiate

Netgear Genie won't quit on Mac OS X

Unlike some people here, I had no trouble downbloading and installing Netgear Genie on my Mac system, first on an old iMac running OS X v10.6.8 and now on my new iMac running 10.11.2. Unfortunately the program's interface is terribly buggy. The worst problem is that once started, it refuses to Quit. I have to Force Quit it, which is not a good thing to have to do with any application. Other aspects of the interface suggest it's just an automated port of a program from some other operating system, or perhaps a Java app -- neither of which is a good thing.

It works alright when it's running (I guess) but I'm very disappointed in the quality of the app. It needs a good solid rewrite and upgrade, real soon now.

Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netgear Genie won't quit on Mac OS X

All:

Here's what (sorta) worked for me, based on escalation at Netgear to "Bianca" who seemed to really know how to troubleshoot. The fix that worked for me was to open the Genie package and to add a leading "1" to the component "libGeniePlugin_MyMedia.dylib", making it "1libGeniePlugin_MyMedia.dylib". This disables the Media Center features of the router, which I don't use anyway. Now, CPU usage is at about 10% (still too high for a "monitor", but tolerable), and I no longer have to force quit.

Jonathan

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 24

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @RoboGenie,

Thank you for your feedback. Rest assured, we are always working on improving the features and user experience for the program.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 24
jmfrankel
Tutor

I'm experiencing the same thing on my late 2009 iMac running OS 10.11.2.  Netscape Genie won't quit in the normal fashion. I have to force quit it every time.

On the plus side, I really like the graphical display of attached devices and the ability to add plain-English names. It's far more user-friendly than the list of attached devices in the router's configuration settings.

Jeff Frankel

Message 3 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jmfrankel,

Thank your feedback as well on this. This is noted and will certainly be looked at.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 24
Genie-beach
Aspirant

I have the same problem, the app won't quit. Displays the "are you sure" message then the spinning ball of death goes forever. Only a force quit works. Has been this way for over 6 months now, both on older versions of mac os x  and the newer El Capitan.

When will this be fixed?

Message 5 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Genie-beach,

We currently do not have an ETA for the next update. Rest assured, we are working on improving the app.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 24
Airbud
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue here.

Message 7 of 24
alexcme
Aspirant

Have the same issue, running the latest Genie (Version 2.4.12) on MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) with El Capitan 10.11.4 (15E65) - it just stuck on Quit. Have Netgear R8000 router if it helps.

Below is what reported in console log:

4/15/16 01:17:45.000 kernel[0]: process NETGEARGenie[2789] thread 128206 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 71%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.091226 seconds, (86.067295 user, 4.023931 system) ledger info: balance: 90002656539 credit: 90002656539 debit: 0 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 125908595734

4/15/16 01:17:45.818 ReportCrash[3954]: Invoking spindump for pid=2789 thread=128206 percent_cpu=71 duration=127 because of excessive cpu utilization

4/15/16 01:17:46.800 spindump[378]: Saved cpu_resource.diag report for NETGEARGenie version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/NETGEARGenie_2016-04-15-011746_XXXXXX.cpu_resource.diag

4/15/16 01:28:32.055 spindump[378]: Saved hang report for NETGEARGenie version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/NETGEARGenie_2016-04-15-012832_XXXXXX.hang

Message 8 of 24
Sea
Guide
Guide

Having the same issue. Before purchasing the Nighthawk 7000 I'd read of the Netgear Genie problem, so I'm not too surprised to encounter it. But still disappointed.

This is an issue that Netgear has clearly known about for some time. The application does not take "quit" for an answer under OS X. El Capitán in my case. 

I'm sure you can do better!

Message 9 of 24
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Sea,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 24
ElCapitanTom
Aspirant

I have to force quit Netgeargenie also.

MacOS 10.11.5

R7900

Firmware V 1.0.1.4

NETGEARGenie V 2.4.12

Also uses 1/4 of CPU power when running.

Should have been fixed by now.

Message 11 of 24
Sea
Guide
Guide

There is absolutely no reason - except for a prettier interface - to keep Genie.

Entering routerlogin.net into your browser to get same functionality without sucking up CPU power or otherwise dragging down performance.

In my emails on this same subject with Netgear tech support in May and June, they provided a multi-step "debug" fix doc as a work around to stop Genie from hanging when quitting under OS X.

I cannot locate the doc at the moment, sorry, but if you ask I'm sure they can supply it. However, I recommend deleting Genie and doing the routerlogin.net thing.

Message 12 of 24

I do like the interface, but I've concluded that Netgear has decided to stop supporting Genie for the Mac. I've traced the problem back at least two years, and all of the "rest assured" messages from the company rep posted to this thread, on such a fundamental problem, seem hollow. 

I'm running Genie 2.4.12 on the latest MacOS (just updated to 10.11.6) and it's still using enormous amounts of CPU and fails to quit properly. I've reinstalled numerous times, and also watched the tech support death spiral as I tried to get the issue resolved before my free support ran out. They actually got to the point of suggesting faulty hardware and asking me to do without for three weeks while they figured out that their hardware isn't actually running the faulty software. No thanks. I just won't consider Netgear when it comes time to upgrade, and will definitely pay more for decent (free) tech support and actual programmers that work for the company in question. If anyone knows of such a company other than Apple, let me know, and I'll go there first! 

Message 13 of 24
Sea
Guide
Guide

Agreed. However, as I think I scribbled elsewhere on this thread or a related one, aside from a prettier interface, Genie offers nothing that typing routerlogin.net into your browser window doesn't do. 

Message 14 of 24

Acknowledged, and yes, that's how I'm managing the router now. The browser interface is clunky in other ways that I won't go into, but it'll do until I upgrade my hardware. It's more of an issue of a company continuing to ship a product with unsupported software that takes over the computer, commercial malware, if you will. That's not cool.

Message 15 of 24
RSM52
Tutor

It is noted that you were working on the problem of having to force quit out of Network Genie as of last January, yet the problerm still persists.  When is this issue going to be fixed?

Message 16 of 24

All:

Here's what (sorta) worked for me, based on escalation at Netgear to "Bianca" who seemed to really know how to troubleshoot. The fix that worked for me was to open the Genie package and to add a leading "1" to the component "libGeniePlugin_MyMedia.dylib", making it "1libGeniePlugin_MyMedia.dylib". This disables the Media Center features of the router, which I don't use anyway. Now, CPU usage is at about 10% (still too high for a "monitor", but tolerable), and I no longer have to force quit.

Jonathan

Message 17 of 24
Sea
Guide
Guide

Thanks for posting that. I received similar instructions several months ago and was looking to post it when another frustrated Mac user posted to this string. Personally, I don't find the "added value" of Genie - as opposed to querying the router directly from the browser - not worth the trouble.

Message 18 of 24
Sea
Guide
Guide

whoops...one too many negatives in there, but you get my point.

Message 19 of 24
RSM52
Tutor

Sad day when you spend $170 on a router and the company studiously ignors a problem that they have been aware of for some time.  I guess there is not much competition in the router industry 🙂

Message 20 of 24
RSM52
Tutor

Thanks for the workaround!

Message 21 of 24
Bharathy84
Aspirant

That did the magic for me. Thanks a ton !!!

Message 22 of 24
prohnemus
Aspirant

Thank you! This workaround should be at the top of the comments. Had I not went to the next page i wouldn't have found it.

Message 23 of 24
djklingler
Aspirant

Workaround worked for me, thank you.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements