Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

RogerD408
Initiate

@Streetrodder wrote:

Does anyone know how to follow instructions in here! DO NOT DOWNLOAD FROM NETGEARS WEBSITE!! IT WON'T WORK! Do as I have said above!  I will repeat one more time...... Type in the http line at the top of your browser........www.routerlogin.net........or just click on it here on the www.routerlogin.net........on the screen that comes up type admin in the users box.......then type in password in the password box......then hit OK........done. Save it to your bookmarks and yer done. Not that difficult.

Your instructions are correct for connecting to the router, but does nothing for getting Netgear Genie to install.  I to am having the same

problem with any version above 2.4.12 (2.4.16, 2.4.18 & 2.4.20).  When trying to run Genie following the install, it fails with a error and terminates.  I can login to the router with a browser just fine, but I can't see the Network map, get the popups when someone connects to my network, or any of the Genie functions.  Even without a Netgear router on my network, many of the Genie functions work (using the earlier version), regardless it should work under Windows 10.

Message 176 of 273
FrTheodore
Aspirant

Tried loading the "windows 10 netgear genie" download and still getting "A problem has caused program to stop working...". What else have you got?

Message 177 of 273
Archon-
Aspirant

Just to let you know, your solution simply goes to the web version of the router's admin screen.  Yes, of course that works.  People here are trying to use the Genie windows application, which doesn't work on Windows 10.  Hope this is helpful.

Message 178 of 273
Archon-
Aspirant

Please be sure you are running with all of the new Windows updates installed.  The genie definitely crashes every time.  Here is my log:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 1/7/2016 9:14:23 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: MyPc
Description:
Faulting application name: NETGEARGenie.exe, version: 2.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x55ba05d8
Faulting module name: wpcap.dll, version: 4.1.0.2001, time stamp: 0x4c24dd97
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0001b345
Faulting process id: 0x27a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d149ba47a50ce5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin\NETGEARGenie.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wpcap.dll
Report Id: 385d3859-7229-4de2-9504-c778b3058828
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-08T02:14:23.394756300Z" />
<EventRecordID>7035</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>MyPc</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>NETGEARGenie.exe</Data>
<Data>2.3.1.0</Data>
<Data>55ba05d8</Data>
<Data>wpcap.dll</Data>
<Data>4.1.0.2001</Data>
<Data>4c24dd97</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>0001b345</Data>
<Data>27a8</Data>
<Data>01d149ba47a50ce5</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin\NETGEARGenie.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wpcap.dll</Data>
<Data>385d3859-7229-4de2-9504-c778b3058828</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Message 179 of 273
msslagathor
Aspirant

Link does not work - "Requested file does not exist! Please enter the File Information requested:"

Message 180 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @msslagathor,

The link may have already expired. You may use the new download link below for the previous version (2.4.12).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-pjmQaYmk6Vk92eE81a20xRjg/view?usp=sharing

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 181 of 273
Ferrerij
Aspirant

I am unable to load the Genie Icon running windows 10. Install goes ok however when I hit Run I get a notice of "The Progrm is experiencing a problem" 

Message 182 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

You may follow the temporary work around for this issue.

1. Uninstall the NETGEAR Genie program from the computer/device.
2. Download the previous version (2.4.12) of the NETGEAR Genie.

Download link:

3. Install the program and check if it functions correctly.
4. Locate the drivers folder under C:\Program Files\NETGEAR Genie\bin and copy it to the desktop.
5. Download and install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie again using the download link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie/aspx

6. Look for the same folder under the same location and delete the folder.
7. Replace the folder with the folder that you pasted on the desktop from the working version of NETGEAR Genie.
8. Close the NETGEAR Genie program through the system tray.
9. Re-open the NETGEAR Genie program and check if it works.
10. The version number may display 2.4.12 since it is using the drivers for that version.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 183 of 273
Streetrodder
Aspirant

I followed your instructions and it worked fine......I was also prompted for a firmware update after I ran the new install so I did the update and all is currently working great!.....Thanks Dexter!!!!

Message 184 of 273
Angel4autism
Tutor

Netgear 600 one year old. 

I just bought a new Dell Gamer , Win 10 with i5 6th generation processor. 

I download genie, however, when I open it, Win 10 says it's not working and will get back to me when it has an answer. 

Something is wrong I did a ping command and it is not pinging properly

I have a ebook program it was working great on my old computer, now , I downloaded it again and it cannot send books to my Kindle something is blocking the traffic. That did NOT happen with my old win 7 computer. It has to be something with Win 10. I am not that computer savy, however, I know a bit and something is wrong . 

Thanks

Nic

Message 185 of 273
Thinus
Star

Let me pre-empt Dexter from Netgear's answer - it will be the same one that he has given for over six months. He will give you a link to an old version (*.*.12) and promise you that they are working on the problem.

It may work for some but I am guessing that no-one with a newer Dell running windows 10 has managed to get it working - I certainly have not been able to on two machines.

Netgear either don't know how to fix this or simply don't care

Thinus

Message 186 of 273
Streetrodder
Aspirant

I'm running a new Dell laptop and the older version works fine on my Windows 10. The new version of Netgear Genie also works fine for me when you follow his post on swaping the drivers folder from the old version into the new version for me. No problem and easy to do.
Message 187 of 273
Thinus
Star

Over the last six months I have followed every single advice that was provided. The old and new versions as well as the other fixes simply do not work on 2 top of the range Dell/Alienware PCs.

It is totally ridiculous to, after this length of time, still be told to goand find an old outdated software version and fiddle under the bonnet with driver settings to get this App working.

And I am not alone - there are posts every single day about this by new users discovering that the App does not work on their Windows ten PC

Very poor form

Message 188 of 273
pcmoan
Aspirant

I followed the instructions to swap in the drivers and Genie came up.   I was able to log to both the router and parental controls, but within parental controls I cannot get beyond the status page.  The problem is that the Genie application is tiny on my screen and changing screen resolutions does not solve the problem.  I am running a brand new ASUS zenbook with Windows 10.   I have a ASUS zenbook with windows 7 with comparable screen resolution that has run NetGenie for 3 years without incident, so I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.  I simply cannot access parental controls.

Very discouraged by how long windows 10 related issues have been affecting Genie users.  Any help on this asap is most welcome.

Message 189 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @pcmoan,

The status screen for parental control should give you the option to enable/disable the feature, change the basic settings, and change custom settings which opens up your default browser. The program has not yet been made to be DPI aware and may appear small on high resolution screens. Engineering has already been made aware of it and I will post if I have an update from them. You may temporarily use your other devices where the app/program works fine or the browser UI to manage your router settings. We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. Rest assured, we are working on fixes for these issues.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 190 of 273
pcmoan
Aspirant

Thanks Dexter for the prompt reply. I've emailed the URL with the device ID to this laptop and can now access parental controls as I need to.  Please do let me know when the application is DPI aware as I'd like to be able to access the rest of the netgear Genie functionality from the application on this Windows 10 machine.

Message 191 of 273
LtScythe
Guide

I am SOOOOO glad I just dropped $329 on the Nighthawk AC3200 Router just to find Netgear Genie isn't compatible with windows 10, I've tried uninstalling it and installing the latest version and still everytime I open it it comes up with "Netgear Genie has stopped working" This is BS and really getting on my nerves, whats the point of having a router you can't even change the settings on, please fix this soon because I really want to play my game online and I can't port foreward until your stupid Genie app finally works for Windows 10

Message 192 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @LtScythe,

The NETGEAR Genie app/program is only one way for you to monitor and manage some settings of your device. You can always access the complete router settings through a browser by going to www.routerlogin.net, www.routerlogin.com or the router's IP address. You may refer to the links below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/980

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24046

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 193 of 273
donnieko
Aspirant

Hello,

I am unable to install the NG Genie on my new Windows 10 computer. It indicates that it installed successfully but when it trys to run,a Windows message come sup that says "NetgearGenie has stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution for the problem". But there isn't one. Any help is appreciated. Net Gear is unable to help because my router is past warranty...

Message 194 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @donnieko,

You may follow the temporary work around for this issue.

Download link:

4. Locate the drivers folder under C:\Program Files\NETGEAR Genie\bin and copy it to the desktop.
5. Download and install the latest version of NETGEAR Genie again using the download link below.

7. Replace the folder with the folder that you pasted on the desktop from the working version of NETGEAR Genie.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 195 of 273
Kelvinthegamer8
Aspirant

i have the same problem now

can you help me or can you give me a way to solve this problem

Message 196 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Kelvinthegamer8,

If you are also experiencing the issue wherein the NETGEAR Genie program will stop then, you may follow the steps below.

Download link:

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 197 of 273
stodola
Aspirant

OK here is my problem

I have Genie on a Windows 7 ultimate that was upgraded to Windows 10 pro

genie version 2.4.16.00   works fine

I have another machine with windows 10 home, if I install current version 2.14.18.00 it keeps complaining that the program is not responding after install

Here is the interesting thing, the event log has this error:

NETGEARGenie.exe
   55ba05d8
   wpcap.dll
   4c24dd97
   c0000005
   0001b345
   82c
   01d159f79d161166
   C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR Genie\bin\NETGEARGenie.exe
   C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\wpcap.dll
   3c09e6d2-a76f-4f20-afac-7ad884424dad

NOTE THE VERSION NUMBER 2.3.1.0,

Anyway it does not work,  hope this is enough information

Message 198 of 273
LtScythe
Guide

I tried the other ways you suggested and all I am getting is webpage not available whis is starting to get old really fast, is there any other ways? It just amazes me that Windows 10 has been available as an upgrade for 6 plus months now and now the stand alone version is out and Netgear, one of the top companies to go to for routers isn't even compatible yet, and by the way in an earlier post I seen you had said the newest version of the app should be windows 10 compatible, you were wrong.

NC.jpg

Message 199 of 273
kinzoo
Aspirant

DexterJB

Thank ,

The link for the older version worked...

Windows 10 didn't want to install it, but if you force it, it will.

Thank you

Message 200 of 273
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7