Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

grumpybs
Tutor

genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

I upgraded to Windows 10 and had netgear genie installed at the time. Genie worked just fine on Win 10 until I tried to upgrade to the newest version of genie. The installer deleted the old version and crashed installing the new. A message is displayed to reboot and retry the install. That didn't work and it tried compatability mode which also fails. I ran the Microsoft compatability troubleshooter which returned a 'program not compatible error'. Now I don't have genie. Any fixes or thoughts?

Message 1 of 273

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compatable

Hi @grumpybs,

The latest version of the NETGEAR Genie should be compatible with Windows 10. I suggest making sure that the program has been completely uninstalled by checking Programs and Features under Control Panel. You can then try to reinstall the program by downloading the latest version using he link below.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 273

All Replies
Kaveh300
Aspirant

My genie app worked after I upgraded to Windows 10, did you uninstall the Genie App before reinstalling it?

Message 2 of 273
grumpybs
Tutor

No I didn't uninstall first. I assume the genie software update process takes care of itself. Genie worked after the windows 10 update but when the genie update ran it deleted the old genie and crashed installing the new version. Windows reports that the software being installed is incompatable.

Message 3 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @grumpybs,

The latest version of the NETGEAR Genie should be compatible with Windows 10. I suggest making sure that the program has been completely uninstalled by checking Programs and Features under Control Panel. You can then try to reinstall the program by downloading the latest version using he link below.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 273
Metrojack
Tutor

I have the same problem. Was told "New Version" Cleck here to install.

Now Win 10 tells me program caused Genie to shut down!

This is BS!

Message 5 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Metrojack,

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the program? If not, please uninstall the program and you may use the download link below for the latest version of the NETGEAR Genie.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=eTmGNWM6Wi

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 273
Metrojack
Tutor

got the email, thanks. Still the same problem.

Message 7 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Metrojack,

May I know what version of NETGEAR Genie you have installed? Can you also provide a screenshot of the error message?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 273
Metrojack
Tutor

2.3 version

message reads; "Something caused the program to stop working and it will be shut down."

Genie actually starts-up and shows on screen for about 10 seconds before message pops up.

Everything was find before the Genie update.

I think Netgear has a bug in the update.

I looked at the Win 10 info, shows it as an App error.

Message 9 of 273
grumpybs
Tutor

I did delete genie in the control panel and it still failed. I went back and deleted everything on the pc that had 'netgear' in it except my internet favorites (not in the registry either). Made sure it did not show in the control panel. Downloaded the current version from the web site today and installed it without any problem. There have been many windows updates since I tried last. The version of Genie that installed ir 2.4.16. 

I'm calling this fixed for me.

Bob

Message 10 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Metrojack,

I recommend updating to the latest version of NETGEAR Genie which is 2.4.16. You may use the link below.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 273
JDCboise
Initiate

Downloaded genie into Windows 10 environment for first time.   Pops up for a few seconds and then it says the program has stopped working and windows will search for a solution - end of activity.   Uninstalled and reinstalled with link supplied to related post    No good

Message 12 of 273
tomdaltonz
Star

Definately a bug in this new update, as I have had the same issue as well.  Genie worked fine before installing the update, now it crashes every time I try to run it, saying there was an error and that Windows will notify me when the problem is fixed.

Using WNDR3400v3

Message 13 of 273
BobP01
Tutor

Same problem as others.  Clean Win 10 install from download page referenced in this thread.  Installs, starts, opens and crashes.

Message 14 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JDCboise, @tomdaltonz, and @BobP01,

I recommend uninstalling the NETGEAR Genie program from the computer and install the previous version (2.4.14) using the download link below:

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=nj4qsJ9Ri7

After a successful install, dowload the latest version (2.4.16) of the NETGEAR Genie using the link below and run the installation to update from the older version:

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 15 of 273
tomdaltonz
Star

Okay, tried the previous version and having the same issue.  Does not seem to be istalling correctly.

Message 16 of 273
BobP01
Tutor

Same results as tomdaltonz     Removed 2.4.16.  even check registry to be sure nothing was hanging around.  downloaded and installed 4.14 withe the same results.  It says it's installed, even pits an icon on the desktop, opend for 5 seconds then reports it stopped and closes.  If you click on the icon it installed on the desktop, it tries to reinstall istself, as if the first install never completed or was removed when the program stopped working after 5 seconds or so

Message 17 of 273
carll76
Apprentice

Sorry... I didn't see this thread (I did search but am a noob to this site)...

Other thread

I tried installing 2,1.4.14 and that crashes as well now..  Surface pro 3.. Lenovo windows 10 laptop installed 2.1.4.16 no problem.

Message 18 of 273
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @tomdaltonz, @BobP01, and @carll76,

1. May I know if you have tried installing the latest version (2.4.16) on top of the older version (2.4.14)?

2. Before encountering the issue, was the previous version working fine?

3. Does installing the previous version alone encounter the same issue as well?

4. Please try installing an older version (2.4.12) using the link below to see if the issue persists.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=VeD4PiGoVI

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 19 of 273
carll76
Apprentice

@DexterJB

2.4.12 works for me  🙂

genie 2.4.12.PNG

Steps I followed prior to this..

Removed everything genie related (checked registerery as well)

Installed 2.4.14 (failed to open)

Installed 2.4.16 over the top (failed to open)

I dont know which version I was using before 🙂 I only got the router about 10 days ago.. It was working fine.

Message 20 of 273
BobP01
Tutor

.12 also works for me.  Only issue I have is every time I start it, Windoze asks me if I want to allow it to change my computer.  I will research that, I suspect it has to do with user account control.  I can minimize to the task bar, but also cannot expand it in any way/size.

1. To answer your questions, I never got .14 to work, so I never installed .16 on top of it

2.  I just got this laptop with Win 10 pre-installed so I never had a working version on Win 10.  Latest version works fine on my Win 7 machine

3.  As I said. installing .16 alone did not work.  Installing .14 alone did not work.  Did not try .16 on top of .14

4.  .12 works with some minor issues (user control and resizing)

Should I try .14 on top of .12?

Message 21 of 273
tomdaltonz
Star

Has anyone tried running the compatability troubleshooter on the installation package from the downloads folder? That's what I'll try as soon as I get a chance.
Message 22 of 273
tomdaltonz
Star

Version 12 works, however I ran the compatability troubleshooter and installed it using Windows 7 settings.  Works like it should.

In answer to the questions, yes, I was installing 16 over a previous version, not sure what # though I assume it was 14.

Before the issue occured, previous version worked fine.

Installing 14 alone caused the same issue.

Message 23 of 273
carll76
Apprentice

I installed .12 and just ran it and it works.

I've tried to put .14 & .16 over the top and it just crashes..

Message 24 of 273
Thinus
Star

I have the same issue - have tried 2.4.12,2.4.14 and 2.4.16. All tried with compatibility mode and as administrator. All crash after a few seconds.

Message 25 of 273
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7