Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318G Wan Speed Issue

thepita
Aspirant

FVS318G Wan Speed Issue

I recently installed a FVS318g with comcast being the ISP. My connection should be 75 down 25 up however I am only getting 15 up/down thru the netgear firewall. According to the documentation the FVS318g Lan to Wan is 250mbps

any ideas?

Message 1 of 36
thepita
Aspirant

Message 2 of 36
fordem
Mentor

Remove the FVS318, connect a computer directly to the Comcast modem and re run the speed test - what results do you get without it?

Message 3 of 36
thepita
Aspirant

when connected directly without the firewall connected I get 82 down and 24 up

Message 4 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

Try disabling any 'block udp flood' or 'block tcp flood' settings.  We've found this to speed up our various fvs units and solve some problems as well.

Message 5 of 36
okokok
Aspirant

I am running a similar issue only with an FVS318G-100NAS.

I get 25-27M download and 4 upload on my cable modem but when I use the FVS318G with nothing else connected except a laptop and the cable modem I see anywhere from 3-4M.  I would expect to be seeing closer to 15-20M I would think. This issue has begun only recently. I have checked and used various cable but am still seeing this slow WAN throughput

Message 6 of 36
okokok
Aspirant

by the way I check the TCP/UDP flood and they are not checked

Message 7 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

That is quite strange, especially if it was working fine.  Are you connected wired or wireless?

Message 8 of 36
okokok
Aspirant

Wired. I wired the laptop straight int one of the ports. I also moved ports to check. Tried different cables

Message 9 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

Have you tried confirming that there isn't something wrong with your service by plugging the laptop directly into the modem?

Have they replaced the modem lately?  Has anything changed on the the ISPs end?  Speeds, infrastructure, pricing, etc?

Message 10 of 36
okokok
Aspirant

I have plugged a laptop directly into the modem and I am getting 25-27Mbps. I replaced the cable modem with  with a new one about 2 mos ago that is capable of higher bandwidth. This slow down has happened over the past week or so

Message 11 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

Okay, I think we're getting somewhere now.

Set your wan port on your fvs to 100 full duplex from auto negotiation.  Plug in your laptop again to the fvs and report back.

Message 12 of 36
okokok
Aspirant

1st tes 8M down and 3M up. Subsequent tests (3) 4-5M and 1-2 up

It just got worse from there

Message 13 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

Do you have a regular switch that we could put in between the modem and the fvs?  I suspect that the speed/duplex isn't matching because of the new modem.

Message 14 of 36
okokok
Aspirant

No I put a  wireless router in between not using WAN port and that did not work

I set it to 100FD and the port kept going up and down staying up for a couple of minutes and then taking itself down

I was watching the link lights go off on the router

Message 15 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

Well, that's getting us somewhere.  Try setting it to 100 half-duplex and see what happens in the same setup with the wireless unit in between.

Message 16 of 36
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello okokok and SamirD, 

I'm joining this conversation just to add some information, the FVS318Gv1 has an older hardware and does not support the 250Mpbs LAN-WAN throughput. The 250Mpbs throughput is available on the later models since the hardware have been updated (see here). I must say though that, it is a really huge drop on the speed. What firmware version is it running by the way? 

Thanks, 

Message 17 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

Since the OP's Internet speeds are only 75/25, whether or not the spec is 250 is irrelevant.  I strongly suspect there's a problem with speed/duplex matching either due to something wrong with the fvs or a weird incompatibility with the new cable modem.

Message 18 of 36
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SamirD, 

I believe it is a bit relevant, the V1s can only accommodate up to 22Mbps so I'm just giving a head's up to not expect speeds higher than that. But I agree that this could be caused by the new modem or something with the settings of the router. I know I saw something like this before, I'll report back once I found anything that could be of help. 

Thanks,

Message 19 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

3-5M down and 1-2M up is NOT normal, even for a v1 unit.  Especially since the OP had speeds greater than this prior to a cable modem swap.  If it was performing satisfactorily before, there is no reason that the specs have anything to do with it not performaing satisfactorily now.  Something else is the issue, usually associated with anything that changed--in this the case the cable modem.  Exactly how and why are what we're trying to get to the bottom of.

Message 20 of 36
okokok
Aspirant

I backed up the config and reset it to factory defaults. I then restored the config from the file and I am now seeing 13M and 6M Upload. pretty constsently. I do still see the router go unresponsive for periods of time like this past sunday morning.

When I was getting the slow speeds I woulod see the router loging take 2-5 minnutes to respond, evenm though going to the cable modem was instantaneous. I really think there is some type of probloem, with the WAN port

Message 21 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

There could be a number of weird things going on. Ive seen strange things happen to routers even when just the back end of the isp was changed.

To fully diagnose the issue, it will be necesary to connect the router to another router or internet source to see if it acts strange there too.

Of course this can only confirm an issue with just the router or if there is something about the partuclar modem/router setup.
Message 22 of 36
okokok
Aspirant

So is it   a hardware issue? I don't have two ISPs just one. Not sure how I can test with two ISPs

Message 23 of 36
gearneterb
Aspirant

Hi John,

I'm having the same (?) problem: only 18M down when it's 30M at the modem (brand new CM400).  I have reset the FVS318G to factory defaults.  I have verified green lights (1000Mbps link) end to end.  Where can I find what firmware version I'm running?

Thanks,

Eb

P.S. 22-25 Mbps WAN-to-LAN would be fine, but 18 Mbps seems low...

Message 24 of 36
SamirD
Prodigy

To determine if it's a hardware issue, you'll need to connect it to a switch in between the fvs and your modem.  If it's dropping connection to the switch (a dumb unmanaged switch), then more than likely the fvs has a hardware issue or a auto speed/duplex problem, the latter of which could be worked around by manually setting the speed/duplex.

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements