Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318G does not respond on default address

MattOfAllTrades
Aspirant

FVS318G does not respond on default address

Hi. I have recently acquired an FVS318G and reset it to it's factory default settings. Unfortunately it does not respond when I connect my laptop to it (laptop configured with IP 192.168.1.2) and try to connect to the address 192.168.1.1. I believe that this should be the factory default IP address for configuration. Without access to the admin page, I'm not sure how I am supposed to use this device? Can anyone help me? I've tried multiple reboots and factory resets, but it still does not respond.

Any help gratefully received.

Model: FVS318G|ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello MattOfAllTrades, 

Welcome to the community! 

Did you test using ping? If you put the router back to factory defaults it will have its DHCP enabled automatically, there is no need for you to assign a static IP on your laptop. Here's what you can check: 

1. Disable the firewall/anti-virus on your laptop. 
  2. Perform a ping test.

If this will not work, perform a factory reset using this procedure: 

1. While the router is on, push and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. 
  2. Continue holding the reset button and turn off the router, do this for another 30 seconds. 
  3. Turn on the router, continue to hold the reset button for 30 seconds more. 
  4. Let the router boot normally. 

Let us know if this helps. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 11
MattOfAllTrades
Aspirant

Thanks for this, but now it just sits there alternating flashes between the Test and DMZ LEDs and doesn't ever seem to get to a normal state. If I power cycle it, it boots normally, but with the same problems as before. It is not giving out a DHCP address to my laptop, so I guess it is not back in factory setting yet. I have tried the process a few times, with the saem result each time.

Message 3 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi MattOfAllTrades, 

If you have the documentations for the router/firewall (receipt, PoP) and you know who it is registered to. You can have it replaced through our RMA process. You'll need to contact our support team for this. I believe this unit is already for replacement. 

Thanks,

Message 4 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi MattOfAllTrades, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information I’ve provided has helped resolve your concern or if you need further assistance.  If ever your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
MattOfAllTrades
Aspirant

Hi

It would be great to get it replaced, but I don't have the PoP as it was purchased by another department internally some time ago. They never used it, as the requirement went away, so said that I could use for my project. Unfortunately, the unit doesn't seem to work. It is new, but has been sat on a shelf somewhere for quite a while I suspect. Is there any way to look up based on serial number?

Message 6 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi MattOfAllTrades, 

I can look up the record, you can PM me the serial number. 

Thanks,

Message 7 of 11
MattOfAllTrades
Aspirant

Serial is (hidden)

Message 8 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi MattOfAllTrades, 

I'm checking the registration details as of the moment. I'll PM you the information. 

Thanks,

Message 9 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This product was manufactured back in June 2013, do you think the purchase date was close to that date? They don't really sit on store shelves for more than a year. 

Message 10 of 11
MattOfAllTrades
Aspirant

I think, in all likelihood, it would be 2014 sometime (probably late 2014).

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements